Model Cars Magazine Forum

whats the rarest model you own and did you build it?

12 hours ago, Kit Basher said:

I don't know what's rare and what isn't, but I do have some oddball kits, and will build as many as I'm able. Here are two:

Monogram Land Rover

DSCN1407.thumb.JPG.31bb52f2664cbc73ddc6fa6442edd89b.JPG

Tamiya Lotus Europa

DSCN1596.JPG

Nicely built Land Rover!!, I have yet to build mine...

As far as rarity goes, not sure.  I have an unbuilt Futurista.  Mean Maverick, the cheesy 1967 GTO funny car, Sand Crab dune buggy, and the 1/16 Rod Shop Vette need to be rebuilt.  Need to put on the decals for the Unreal Edsel funny car.  A while back I rebuilt one of my first kits - the Uncertain T.  I have a box full of my old builds and everything is tossed together.

15 hours ago, jeffdeoranut said:

do you have the instructions?  if so I would like a copy or scan...I would send you some parts or maybe some photoetch stuff.

Sorry, Just ckd. and No I do not.

I do have a copy of the one for the 68 CMG Charger . Buts its a completely different car

Tamiya Rothmans Porsche 956   Not sure about the rarity but it’s definitely my favorite kit and car of all time. Build once as a kid, when the kit came out (lost to the ages) and again last year. 

95528FD4-9783-454C-892E-DB08937B5BF5.jpeg

C286508C-CB18-407E-9677-B42D9E7EFE47.jpeg

Edited by Ich_Will

11 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

I don't know about valuable, but you don't see a lot of them around, and yes, I wish someone would make a ZIL kit to accompany it.

Trumpeter_Mao%20Limo_Boxtop.jpg

Yat Ming might step up with a die-cast version someday.  They already have a nice 1/24 scale die-cast of the 1952 GAZ-12 (ZIM) and some other Russian cars in the same scale.

yat_gaz.jpg

The Red Flag 770 CA has appeared in a few movies over the years.  From IMCDB, here it is in the 1993 Jeremy Irons flick "M. Butterfly."  According to the captions this is a 1965 model, but I'm not sure how much those cars changed year-to-year, if any:

hong770.jpg

Edited by Mike999
error

1 hour ago, Ich_Will said:

Tamiya Rothmans Porsche 956   Not sure about the rarity but it’s definitely my favorite kit and car of all time. Build once as a kid, when the kit came out (lost to the ages) and again last year. 

95528FD4-9783-454C-892E-DB08937B5BF5.jpeg

C286508C-CB18-407E-9677-B42D9E7EFE47.jpeg

I've got the rarer of the kits on this one.  The collaboration with Scale Motorsport and Tamiya.  Now that is rare, and expensive.  Last time I was in Japan I picked up the Rothmans decals and plan on doing it soon.  Good to see one built.

44 minutes ago, John Goschke said:

Strombecker 1/25 Reventlow Scarab. Came to me as restorable builtup, so it will get rebuilt.  If I could afford a MIB one, I'd build that, too!

Great score John.  A full detail resin kit may someday be available.  

5 hours ago, Bucket T said:

As far as rarity goes, not sure.  I have an unbuilt Futurista.  Mean Maverick, the cheesy 1967 GTO funny car, Sand Crab dune buggy, and the 1/16 Rod Shop Vette need to be rebuilt.  Need to put on the decals for the Unreal Edsel funny car.  A while back I rebuilt one of my first kits - the Uncertain T.  I have a box full of my old builds and everything is tossed together.

Starbird's Futurista is pretty rare...especially in unbuilt form...almost never see one on e Bay..been looking for years. Same for the Uncertain T...its the plastic kit equivalent of Big Foot...or the Loch Ness monster.

5 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

Instructions for the 1967 Dodge Charger 4'n 1. Same kit, part-wise, as "Color Me Gone".

Sorry, But No. Its not

the 67 annual hasa stock chassis under it and stock wheelbase

the 67 CMG is a tube frame altered wheelbase funnycar only

Other than the chrome and clear glass -  nothing between the 2 kits is the same

6_zpsa5be87c6.jpg

67CMG2_zpsca5daea1.jpg

Edited by gtx6970

1 minute ago, gtx6970 said:

Sorry, But No. Its not

I might have the instructions for Mr. Unswitchable, if that would help. These were MPC's first two funny cars and I believe they shared frames. Different bodies and engines, of course, but if you need help on the frame, that should be the same.

You're right Bill, it isn't. Those pics you posted are as good as, if not better than, instructions, though. One can see where everything goes. It's not like there's 200 parts to wade through.

Edited by SfanGoch

42 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I might have the instructions for Mr. Unswitchable, if that would help. These were MPC's first two funny cars and I believe they shared frames. Different bodies and engines, of course, but if you need help on the frame, that should be the same.

Here's the instructions for Color Me Gone.

http://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/mpc-instructions/straightline-competition/mpc_dodge_charger/

53 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

You're right Bill, it isn't. Those pics you posted are as good as, if not better than, instructions, though. One can see where everything goes. It's not like there's 200 parts to wade through.

Problem is ( at least for me ) I bought this kit as an incomplete builder. So some of the pieces I'm not so sure are correct or in there  correct location. I built this car before I was the  internet savvy person that I am today ( lol )

I see Snake posted the actual instructions to the kit itself.

I still need to find the engine cover for this car someday

The Rarest kit I have would be Fujimis 1/12 Veilside R1 Streetdrag Nissan GTR. I brought it off a guy who used to work for the company that imported models etc into New Zealand, he added it to an order for himself but never got around to it, 7 years later neither have i really... Ive done a few bits & pieces on it, mostly reworking the front bumper. Its a plastic 1/12 GTR kit with a resin body kit that needs to be added on, Lots of work ahead!! I have been collecting parts for it over the years, like 3D printed turbos, PE stuff etc. Hope to build it soon....

URL%5D58c985f7.JPG.0c3be92c7e4f401e5d7d4d5c5f88996b.JPG

e1c55de3.JPG.cfe46ec849ce31c299721f1fc28d581a.JPG

I also have the Scale Production resin Eleanor kit, which is pretty rare, brough this 10yrs ago & painted it 6 months ago, still lots to do on it.

IMG_9341.thumb.JPG.9b67ff45e8e482487b8584de5b55f64f.JPG

I know it's all personal preference as to how someone decides to treat a rare kit, ie whether they build it or not, but those guys always remind me of the guy who has a classic car sitting there rotting away in a barn or in a field, and they always tell people that it's not for sale and they'll get around to restoring it, but they never do, and then they die. 

Whatever floats your boat I guess.

40 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

I know it's all personal preference as to how someone decides to treat a rare kit, ie whether they build it or not, but those guys always remind me of the guy who has a classic car sitting there rotting away in a barn or in a field, and they always tell people that it's not for sale and they'll get around to restoring it, but they never do, and then they die. 

Whatever floats your boat I guess.

I agree completely...I once offered a guy money to put a tarp over a 56 dodge pick up that was sitting outside uncovered after he informed me that it was not for sale at any price...it sat there for 5 more years uncovered, then was sold at a scrapyard for scrap metal price as it was completely worthless at that point. the same guy has a 57 2 dr chevy and a 65 elcamino both outside, uncovered, with windows DOWN and not for sale at any price. ive built or plan to build every kit I have including a full detail Shelby Daytona cobra coupe and a  original issue mpc transporter with ramcharger dragster which ive already built.

Edited by jeffdeoranut
forgot stuff

20 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

Sorry, But No. Its not

6_zpsa5be87c6.jpg

67CMG2_zpsca5daea1.jpg

This is 100% right. I've got a CMG and have previously built the 67 4-in-1. You could mod the heck out of the stock body but you're still not gonna have the frame. I've not built mine yet but it's a partially started builder so that's what it shall be.,