Model Cars Magazine Forum

whats the rarest model you own and did you build it?

8 hours ago, fairlane1320 said:

I think this is the rarest one I have, it's currently under construction.

2v2JC4wcyxfjhLg.jpg

Can't even tell you how hard I've hunting for a reasonably priced version of this kit. I'll be building a replica of 1:1 my dad had in the 80s.

Just saw this old thread.  OK, what the heck:

JoHan '67 Eldorado (bought it factory sealed, no tire burn!);

JoHan stock '69 AMX (bought it factory sealed, tire burn on the hood);

I guess my Etzel's Miller 91 is getting kinda rare;

HRM Miller is already rare, I imagine, and;

I have a pre-production AMT Pro-Modeler '57 Chevy with inspection/comment checklists, etc.  I suppose that's rare.

PB.

On 7/9/2018 at 10:46 PM, Richard Bartrop said:

I don't know about valuable, but you don't see a lot of them around, and yes, I wish someone would make a ZIL kit to accompany it.

Trumpeter_Mao%20Limo_Boxtop.jpg

This kit is a BEAR to build . It has little going for it . One thing comes to mind , Humbrol colors match perfectly on the Interior parts connected to the Trees . Yes , quite obvious and showing when the Model is finished . Good Luck finding Humbrol Paints . It is unique , I am a unique car collector . It fits well in my Not run of the Mill Car Collection . Would I buy a Z IL ? Indeed yes , I have plans for the Die Cast Volga Limo parking in my Commie Car niche . Think Tienanmen Square Car . Thanx 

C hina's Parade r.JPG

China's Parade f.JPG

Edited by dimaxion

On 7/11/2018 at 3:27 PM, fairlane1320 said:

2v2JC4wcyxfjhLg.jpg

2v2JC4fSNxfjhLg.jpg

Here's some others that will be built/restored.........

2v2JC4pnjxfjhLg.jpg

2v2JC4HyLxfjhLg.jpg

2v2JC4KfWxfjhLg.jpg

2v2JC4eE5xfjhLg.jpg

2v2JC4K9qxfjhLg.jpg

2v2JC4t2gxfjhLg.jpg

2v2JC41DoxfjhLg.jpg

2v2JC4KgqxfjhLg.jpg

2v2JC41ENxfjhLg.jpg

2v2JC4b35xfjhLg.jpg

2v2JC4eWdxfjhLg.jpg

2v2JC4cBNxfjhLg.jpg

Just a quick remark on the Calyspo Red '70 Cougar . I bpought the remains of one of these in 1986 . It is the longest stalled WIP I have . I still shore some fiddly parts . Are you close to done with your build . My Calyspo Red is 90.10 % painted .. lol .. Thanx .. 

On 7/11/2018 at 12:27 PM, fairlane1320 said:

Here's some others that will be built/restored.........

2v2JC41ENxfjhLg.jpg

This one is extraordinarily rare.  I searched for years to find one.  The coupe was my first car and these come up for sale very rarely and when they do, they go for good money.

On 7/14/2018 at 1:33 PM, Pete J. said:

As rare as it, I have some problems with it. The rear wheel openings are too big, the convertible top is too short, and the quarter panel vent is oversized! Other than that, it's a great kit! :)

I might chop the roof of off this one and make a ragtop! 

2v2J7hZGdxfjhLg.jpg

On 7/14/2018 at 1:14 PM, dimaxion said:

Just a quick remark on the Calyspo Red '70 Cougar . I bpought the remains of one of these in 1986 . It is the longest stalled WIP I have . I still shore some fiddly parts . Are you close to done with your build . My Calyspo Red is 90.10 % painted .. lol .. Thanx .. 

I have a bunch of WIPs that have been sitting for years. :)

I have a Calypso Coral (Competition Orange) '69 Cougar that I am planning to convert to Fast Eddies 1970 drag car.

2v29nd3AJxfjhLg.jpg 

On 7/14/2018 at 12:07 PM, dimaxion said:

This kit is a BEAR to build . It has little going for it . One thing comes to mind , Humbrol colors match perfectly on the Interior parts connected to the Trees . Yes , quite obvious and showing when the Model is finished . Good Luck finding Humbrol Paints . It is unique , I am a unique car collector . It fits well in my Not run of the Mill Car Collection . Would I buy a Z IL ? Indeed yes , I have plans for the Die Cast Volga Limo parking in my Commie Car niche . Think Tienanmen Square Car . Thanx 

C hina's Parade r.JPG

China's Parade f.JPG

I have built the enclosed roof version. Yes it's a bear to build, especially the interior. I had to scratch build interior door panels as the kit had none. I also have the open roof car in the stash as well as another version by another company molded in red. On my build I filled in all the holes on the chassis to make it more accurate. I used 1/20th scale GMC pick up Lindberg kit for the front and rear suspension. It just looked better to me. Supposedly the engine is a copy of Chrysler's poly sphere 318 from the fifties. The chrome lump of an engine in the kit really did not look like anything so I used the big Ford engine from the Otaki T-Bird kit and removed the FORD script off the valve covers and painted it an industrial blue/grey color. I would someday like to redo the whole kit.

1 hour ago, lordairgtar said:

I have built the enclosed roof version. Yes it's a bear to build, especially the interior. I had to scratch build interior door panels as the kit had none. I also have the open roof car in the stash as well as another version by another company molded in red. On my build I filled in all the holes on the chassis to make it more accurate. I used 1/20th scale GMC pick up Lindberg kit for the front and rear suspension. It just looked better to me. Supposedly the engine is a copy of Chrysler's poly sphere 318 from the fifties. The chrome lump of an engine in the kit really did not look like anything so I used the big Ford engine from the Otaki T-Bird kit and removed the FORD script off the valve covers and painted it an industrial blue/grey color. I would someday like to redo the whole kit.

Every kit I build , I am conflicted with myself . How far should I  and yet actually finish the build ?  You did a pile of extra effort . Would you post it ? The battle of refusing every adhesive know to Man was unnerving . Bakelite acts as this plastic does . Thanx 

These are my import kits. 

71 toyota crown 2 dr.  Have not seen another.

Datsun tow truck. Very cool different kit.

Malibu race team. Has 2 sealed kits and 1 parts kit. Never seen it before. Had to have it.

Bre datsun 510 original issue. Copyright 1973

Celica Supra sealed. Had to have since I have the 1:1 car of it. 

20180716_201510.jpg

20180716_202046.jpg

20180716_201918.jpg

20180716_201559.jpg

20180716_201852.jpg

Midnight cowboy, not really my style but popular

71-73 AMC javelin AMX. Love AMCs. I also have a 69 AMX, javelin Amx road racecar, 2-70 rebel machine 1 sealed, and a sealed AMC marlin. Picture will not load of those.

Parts pack for pickups. Some cool things in this kit.

63 chevy II kit. Very nice kit. 

20180716_202035.jpg

20180716_201829.jpg

20180716_201701.jpg

20180716_201925.jpg

37 minutes ago, suprafastcelica said:

These are my import kits. 

71 toyota crown 2 dr.  Have not seen another.

Datsun tow truck. Very cool different kit.

Malibu race team. Has 2 sealed kits and 1 parts kit. Never seen it before. Had to have it.

Bre datsun 510 original issue. Copyright 1973

Celica Supra sealed. Had to have since I have the 1:1 car of it. 

20180716_201510.jpg

20180716_202046.jpg

20180716_201918.jpg

20180716_201559.jpg

20180716_201852.jpg

That Supra is awesome!!!!

15 hours ago, suprafastcelica said:

I have a another one that is all loose. I'm gunna build it like mine. Mine is an 85 so I'll have to make some changes. Mines also a 7mgte car. I stole that engine from a soarer I have. 

Nice!!...I NEED to get one ofthose!!!....wish they'd make a Chrysler Conquest...

16 hours ago, suprafastcelica said:

I have a another one that is all loose. I'm gunna build it like mine. Mine is an 85 so I'll have to make some changes. Mines also a 7mgte car. I stole that engine from a soarer I have. 

3S-GTE here! Just had it rebuild to original specs with as many OEM parts as I could find. All the horses are back in the barn!

1 hour ago, Dann Tier said:

Nice!!...I NEED to get one ofthose!!!....wish they'd make a Chrysler Conquest...

I know these are diecast but this stuff is hard to find being Japanese. 

84 Toyota Celica Supra

https://www.ls-collectibles.com/en/toyota-celica-supra-mk2-pre-order-329

Conquest / Starion

https://www.ls-collectibles.com/en/mitsubishi-starion-pre-order-361