Model Cars Magazine Forum

whats the rarest model you own and did you build it?

On 7/14/2018 at 4:55 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Snagged a few 1/8 scale bike kits a while back. The build thread on the first Bronson bike (gluebomb save and upgrade) is over on the "All the Rest" forum.

Image result for revell 1/8 harley drag bike   Image result for revell 1/8 honda road racer

Image result for revell 1/8 harley drag bike

I remember the show well-would love to have that kit and the drag bike !!!

Edited by PARTSMARTY

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 8:46 PM, suprafastcelica said:

Midnight cowboy, not really my style but popular

Many years ago, a toy store in Los Angles had the Revell Midnight Cowboy wrecker on clearance for $5.00.  The store only had 3 left and I bought all of them.  The truck part of the kit, IMO, is an eyesore and a piece of junk.  But the wrecker bed is very well done. You can see it used in many builds over the years in the magazines and contests, mounted on better trucks. I parted out 2 of the kits and still have one in the box.

I picked up three kits by Swash design white metal and resin to make bobbers from. Didn’t build them yet but will

also got some Harley photo etch details and wheels 

All are out of production and Swashnever made many of them

63AC72D6-34A1-4BA4-8431-277B2FF1D3AC.jpeg

Edited by jaxenro

On 7/8/2018 at 8:04 PM, Pete J. said:

Everything seems to go through that phase.  In the 60's they were just old bikes and people didn't care that much about them.  Now they are rare barn finds.  

There's a topic in itself.  Kits you ended up trashing as a kid that ended becoming stupidly valuable.

For me it was the ERTL International Payhauler. I bought and built 2 of them about 5 years before AMT announced their re-release. Same with the AMT D8H, I bought and built one long before any announced re-release. Then I bought and built 2 of the AMT John Deere 310 backhoes and 1 ERTL John Deere 4430 tractor. I don't collect kits, I buy what I like to build and every kit I buy is bought with the intention of building.

28 minutes ago, dshue76 said:

...Then I bought and built 2 of the AMT John Deere 310 backhoes and 1 ERTL John Deere 4430 tractor...

Just FYI, at the local Flea Market this Wednesday, a seller had an original ERTL John Deere 4430 still shrink-wrapped.  He was asking $75 but seemed willing to negotiate.  Thought about it for a minute just because I really like those original ERTL farm tractor kits.  But I have the later AMT reissue of the 4430, which will suit me if I decide to build it.

On 7/8/2018 at 11:57 PM, Sport Suburban said:

These were all mostly mint kits that I have built or are 1/2 done. Some the boxes were not mint thou. The Rebel was a water damaged kit so decals and box were bad but kit was fine. 71 cyclone box was crumbling and tail lights were missing. That one is 1/2 done. The 70 Grand Prix was factory sealed but that is done now. Most of my rare builds are restorations of previously built kits.

I know I have some very racer resin kits to build to. 

70 Rebel.JPG

67 GT40 mkIV Le Mans 1st.JPG

Pantera GT5.JPG

70 Grand Prix.JPG

71 Cyclone.JPG

I would love to build a Rebel-I really don't care about boxes at all I'm a builder.

70 Rebel.JPG

I've got a very restorable Rebel, but the ambition hasn't struck me yet to do anything with it. I've got its original box too! No I don't wanna part with it.......these can be hard to find at times, and then when they do turn up-----prices can be outrageous! This just reinforces my thinking that when ANY Johan turns up, and the price is right,  GRAB IT! If you wait, guarantee within minutes it'll be gone! And I'm not just talking about eBay........I've seen this happen at shows too. ;)

P1016364.thumb.JPG.bc8af7b8a419bf8c317329c46a34c3a8.JPGP1016365.thumb.JPG.de4acca1981b7027da3fce9b1e373e52.JPG

Well, just goes to show you have to be at the right place at the right time! Right after I posted my last message, I headed over to eBay to see if any of these are available. Just so happens there was as the auction was ending in three hours. The auction was not in the usual category such as Vintage, but in the "sports" section or something like that. There were only two bidders, and I got it for $27.00 plus shipping.

This was the in the "Those Famous Fords" box and was a little tired looking, but the kit was complete and was untouched.

Sooooo............now I have a kit that I've been wanting for awhile, and now I have all the IMC kits that were in this series.........except the Ford "J" car which I'm not that crazy about that one. ;)

6 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

Well, just goes to show you have to be at the right place at the right time! Right after I posted my last message, I headed over to eBay to see if any of these are available. Just so happens there was as the auction was ending in three hours. The auction was not in the usual category such as Vintage, but in the "sports" section or something like that. There were only two bidders, and I got it for $27.00 plus shipping.

This was the in the "Those Famous Fords" box and was a little tired looking, but the kit was complete and was untouched.

Sooooo............now I have a kit that I've been wanting for awhile, and now I have all the IMC kits that were in this series.........except the Ford "J" car which I'm not that crazy about that one. ;)

Yes great score. I bought this one from eBay and it was a steal! I could see it had extra parts as it was both molded in white and red and I seen two sets of wheels. Seller did not inventory it and admitted it in his add. When I got it it was two complete kits in one box! Here are the finished builds.

F39FC26E-7DF8-4034-9454-127ECC00A7FB.jpeg

2C17DDED-173A-4325-97EF-D159B5FF4E14.jpeg

7 hours ago, Deuces said:

You guys ever wondered what happened to all the old molds to these classic kits????:(:wacko::blink:

6 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

They scraped them in the seventies when times were tough.  No one had a clue of the value in years to come. 

Or otherwise destoyed doing something else from the tooling by changing it so it can't be changed back without redoing most of it, AMT changed the old Annuals to the next model year and some where even converted to race cars and so forth.
Most of the old Jo-Han tooling are damaged or not complete and the few ones that were are lost...for example the 69 AMX, 71 'Cuda, 70 Olds 442 and the SC/Rambler...Testors used the tooling for these kits last when they did the HSO series and they used them once before that, but no one seems to know where the tooling are now...most likely at the plant who did the molding for them.

Edited by Force

On 7/9/2018 at 10:46 PM, Richard Bartrop said:

I don't know about valuable, but you don't see a lot of them around, and yes, I wish someone would make a ZIL kit to accompany it.

Trumpeter_Mao%20Limo_Boxtop.jpg

A friend on a model airplane board is selling one of these, if anyone really wants one. 

20 hours ago, Force said:

Or otherwise destoyed doing something else from the tooling by changing it so it can't be changed back without redoing most of it, AMT changed the old Annuals to the next model year and some where even converted to race cars and so forth.
Most of the old Jo-Han tooling are damaged or not complete and the few ones that were are lost...for example the 69 AMX, 71 'Cuda, 70 Olds 442 and the SC/Rambler...Testors used the tooling for these kits last when they did the HSO series and they used them once before that, but no one seems to know where the tooling are now...most likely at the plant who did the molding for them.

Yes some other good points.  It would be nice to know where those Jo Han molds that testers used ended up. 

17 minutes ago, traditional said:

A few of my older, quite rare unbuilt kits....The rarest would be the Aerocar kit.

Two rare ones that I have built are the IDEAL '56 Lincoln convertible and the Continental.

Holy moley. Nice. I didn't even know the Lincoln and the Continental existed. Guess I'll have to start searching.

Your boxes are beautiful too. Is there a story as to how you came across these gems?