Model Cars Magazine Forum

whats the rarest model you own and did you build it?

8 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

As I pilfered those images from Worthpoint, I couldn't tell you. Check the Drastic Plastic instruction link in my original post.

Hmm. Well, the '68 issue was MPC, and the instructions don't show the chassis in detail, so... Eh - my '67's getting duals, glasspacks and a 427 anyway. :)

I had these two as a kid but they were glue bombs when I got them and my teenage efforts did nothing to improve them.  When I went to live in Canada for a year back in 1996, one of my holy grails was to find a mint kit.  I got talking with Tom Geiger and arranged to attend NNL East with him. Walked into the traders hall and on the VERY FIRST STALL was this box and an unbuilt channelled green coupe - the stocker was gone.  It was near enough for me although the vendor still probably can't believe his luck that some dumb Aussie was keen enough to pay his kinda outrageous asking price.  I found the stocker years later, built up cleanly but assembled with some glue that never was going to let go. A patinaed car made sense because I was never going to be able to organise a clean paintjob on a fully assembled model.  I don't know how rare these are in terms of production numbers (does anyone?) but I will call them my rarest for now and as you can see I built them!

Cheers

Alan

IMG_7793.JPG

IMG_7688.JPG

IMG_7705.JPG

9 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Were the dual exhausts added to the chassis for '69, or earlier? My '67 has a single. Notice that the two mufflers don't match each other :rolleyes: - someone was in a hurry...

This is the AMT kit.  AMT tooled one for '67, it went to MPC for '68 (along with the Barracuda; nobody knows the how/why of those deals).  AMT tooled another one for '69, with the big-block engine and dual exhaust.  The existing '72 pickup kit is made up from parts from both tools, along with some new parts.

6 hours ago, Classicgas said:

Just started it. Wrapped up painting the body last week, and got started on the engine after doing some research.

Nice!!, cant wait to see it!!, I normally mostly build exotics with the occasional muscle car thrown-in, but I do like these cars too!, I wanted to build at least one in my life time, so I got myself the Phaeton BoatTail Speedster to do, and got my wife this Cadillac like yours. Hope it keeps going good for you!!

• 1 month later...

This Strombecker Scarab was my first mail order model from Oscar Kovalesky at Auto World.  Yes I still have it and I have resisted the urge to touch it.

007_4sm.jpg.06782a3e4d813d031a3ae7f0b0270fcc.jpg

Photo below from the web.  The body only was later released as a blister pack by MPC I think.

5b99222dda209_ScarabStombecker.jpg.c1548ae31904e1547d68e544ec167525.jpg

Edited by Gramps46

1 hour ago, Gramps46 said:

This Strombecker Scarab was my first mail order model from Oscar Kovalesky at Auto World.  Yes I still have it and I have resisted the urge to touch it.

Great build Gary.  Another resin kit in the works.

Edited by afx

17 minutes ago, afx said:

Great build Gary.  Another resin kit in the works.

A little known fact, the wheels from this Scarab formed the basis for the Aardvark Corvette SS wheels, luckily Andy returned the originals. Also Jose Rodrigues did a full up engine in one back in the 60's in Rod & Customs Models,  I think it was.  Jose was an inspiration to many of us back then.

Edited by Gramps46

2 minutes ago, Gramps46 said:

A little known fact, the wheels from this Scarab formed the basis for the Aardvark Corvette SS, luckily Andy returned the originals. Also Jose Rodrigues did a full up engine in one back in the 60's in Rod & Customs Models,  I think it was.  Jose was an inspiration to many of us back then.

The best 5-slot Halibrands I have seen.  Forgot to mention the resin kit will be full detail.

Great thread. Years ago when I discovered the internet I began searching for kits from my youth, mainly for the cool box art ( due to shortage of funds I couldnt ante up for mint in box ) Eventually managed to acquire a few built or partially built kits. Can't speak to the AMT annuals or foreign sports cars....but based on years of searching for niche kits of the 60s...it became clear which ones appeared to have "holy grail" status. Kudos to anyone who has managed to obtain the following.....                                                   Any of the Revell "Double Car Kits"           Monogram "Uncertain T" ( not my cup of T )                                                               Monogram Daryll Starbird "Futurista"       AMT "Wild Dream" and "Tognotti T"           Revell Roth "Brother Rat Fink"                   After years of perusing the internet these five stand out as really hard to come by.

Edited by styromaniac