Model Cars Magazine Forum

whats the rarest model you own and did you build it?

On 7/16/2018 at 2:15 PM, dimaxion said:

Every kit I build , I am conflicted with myself . How far should I  and yet actually finish the build ?  You did a pile of extra effort . Would you post it ? The battle of refusing every adhesive know to Man was unnerving . Bakelite acts as this plastic does . Thanx 

Yes, it's a bear to glue. ACC and Testor's will work. It did for me. I noticed the chrome plating is very tough and will stand up to extreme handling. My model is aging not so gracefully as chrome side trim has fallen of in spots and the black paint has dulled abit. But I will post it if I get a chance to pull it out of the display case

36 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Are these bot 1/32 scale kits?

I know that the Revell '56 Continental is actually a pretty nice kit, but I have never seen the "Ideal Lincoln Premiere".

Steve

The'IDEAL'  Lincoln Premiere is 1/25 or so, and the 'IDEAL' Continental is about 1/20. 

3 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Holy moley. Nice. I didn't even know the Lincoln and the Continental existed. Guess I'll have to start searching.

Your boxes are beautiful too. Is there a story as to how you came across these gems?

My twin brother and I began recollecting old kits in the '70s and we gradually amassed hundreds of original Revell, Monogram, AMT, Johan as well as non-mainstream car and truck kits, from the early '50s up until the mid '60s. We never stuck with any particular scale, just any vehicle kits that struck our fancy. Unfortunately, most of them became too rare to build, so they'll just remain in their boxes. There are plenty of repopped or modern kits to build now-a-days and besides, we're more into scratchbuilding and using metals in our model building these days.

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

66Skylark03.jpg.2b288164565ce656e5a9a953c3529c9a.jpg

66Skylark02.jpg.f01b4ba3b79d0962155a19a5dc2f6a02.jpg

I gotta wonder, does anyone know if the parts from the Mod Stockers series could be used to complete cars like these? Or are the grilles and bumpers too butchered to use here?

BTW Snake, you're so lucky to have so many of those gems to be able to trade - I mean restore! 'Ahem' ?

6 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

I gotta wonder, does anyone know if the parts from the Mod Stockers series could be used to complete cars like these? Or are the grilles and bumpers too butchered to use here?

The rear end could be used for a mild custom, but the headlights are completely gone on the front end. 

4 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

If the grille is intact, you could drill out the headlights and replace them with clear ones.

I think the headlights are replaced with a flat plate.

Another idea would be to sili-clone the headlight area from a good grille, make resin or epoxy copies, and then fit those into the area. 

I THINK I have grilles for all my glue bomb Skylarks, although the chrome is probably whack on most of them. I also ordered at least a couple repros from Modelhaus, so I got all that goin' for me. 

14 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

BTW Snake, you're so lucky to have so many of those gems to be able to trade - I mean restore! 'Ahem' ?

I think it was less a matter of "luck" than having enough disposable income at that time to put healthy bids in on eBay. I think I bought these somewhere in the 2006-2008 timeframe, and I seem to recall paying around $30-$35 for them at that time. I think they'd all go for a bit more than that now. 

Not sure what my rarest is...my oldest is an AMT '58 Edsel ht annual, that I bought as a builtup.  It's my only '58 annual--have a bunch of '59 annuals incl. Chevys, Pontiacs, an Olds, Ford, Edsel, Mercury and Lincoln.      I have the '70 Mark Donahue Javelin unbuilt and complete.     Loads of '60s-70s annuals from AMT, MPC and Johan in my stash, some unbuilt, some I bought built in good shape, some built I want to restore.   

I have an AMT Mark Donahue Javelin but I don't know what year it is--somewhere between '71 and '74. Definitely not a '70. :( I'm probably going to use it with a Jimmy Flintstone '70 Javelin Trans Am body to build a '70 TA racer. 

2 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I have an AMT Mark Donahue Javelin but I don't know what year it is--somewhere between '71 and '74. Definitely not a '70. :( I'm probably going to use it with a Jimmy Flintstone '70 Javelin Trans Am body to build a '70 TA racer. 

Mine is te 71-74 body style.

1 hour ago, vintagedragcrazy said:

I know snake i said this or my cutlass awb car I don't have any pics of the cutlass!

vince

I didn't say that--that was Cobraman! I have high reading comprehension skills and understood your original post perfectly the first time! B):lol: