Model Cars Magazine Forum

whats the rarest model you own and did you build it?

I own a number of rare models--built, but they weren't particularly rare when I built them 50 years ago. B)

Of unbuilt rare stuff I own now, I have AMT annual '66 Mustang HT/Conv, '66 Falcon, and '66 Barracuda kits I'll never build. Also a Sonny & Cher Mustang. 

I have several new in box AMT '64-'67 Corvettes I'll probably never build, because I have perfectly nice rebuildable glue bombs to do. I can leave them unmolested. 

I have an original, NIB AMT '68 Cougar that I DO plan to build. If/when I do so, I'll do it "live" here, on the Workbench, and take tips and requests and suggestions from the audience. B)

3 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

It's funny that this subject should come up at this time!

Up until this point, I would have said that it was either the AMT 1967 Ford Galaxie or the MPC 1968 Dodge Coronet R/T which I have yet to build,

But in light of recent developments, I think I have finally found one that seems to be almost non-existent!

I recently completed a trade with a wonderful gentleman from Sweden for a super rare Johan 1968 Oldsmobile 442 builder!

I have been tentatively searching for one of these for years & have rarely seen them, let alone ever found one in suitable condition for a resto.

I have seen promos for sale on occasion, but the kit seems to be extremely rare for some reason.

I have yet to receive it, but it has reached the shores of America, so I'm very excited to get this little gem in my hands!

These are the photos that the gentleman has sent me.

It looks to be complete & in very good restorable condition.

I'm very stoked!!

Steve

2v2JhMfACxwUbWP.jpg

I didn't know it was that rare.  I just did a Google search and couldn't even come up with a box art image.  I wonder if this is a similar thing that happened with the 1968 GTO.  One year only because they converted the mold to 1969 the following year so there were few 1969s.

2 hours ago, bbowser said:

I've got one as well.  Intimidated by the wire wheels!

I've got a damaged frame so I am going to have to get my soldering skills up to speed to fix it.  Soldering white metal is a real challenge.

1 hour ago, Pete J. said:

One year only because they converted the mold to 1969 the following year so there were few 1969s.

There were many "annual" kits that this was the case with.

Unless the following year was a completely new body style, the molds would be altered to create the next model year.

If you look back at a lot of these old kits, the only ones that may still survive are the "dead end" years where the next year was changed completely, so the molds from the dead end year would not be re-purposed.

As examples, the MPC 1969 Barracuda kit still exists because the 1970 model was a new body style.

The MPC '67 & '68 Barracuda kits are now very rare & hard to find because they were progressively changed to make the '69.

I'm not sure of what the contributing factors were as to the rarity of the Johan '68 442.

Johan did not produce any Olds kits between 1963 and 1968 that I am aware of, except for Toronados.

MPC produced the '69 442, Johan in turn did the '70, so it was a real cluster as to who was doing what at that time.

For whatever reason, the Johan '68 really got lost & they are a pretty rare sight today.

I'm just really fortunate to have finally found one.

Steve

i don't know about but i picked up an early edition of Jo-Han's 1931 Cadillac Sport Phaeton that was still in the shrink wrap.  When I opened it, it had the gold cup in it, and the instructions were printed in blue and black instead of just black like every other Jo-Han instruction sheet I've seen.   Did I build it?  I'm working on it right now.

For me, it's the rare (but not well done) ITC '40 Mercury convertible. Unlike many rare kits, you don't usually find eBay bidders clawing at each other to get it, probably because it has almost as many accuracy issues as a Pyro Auburn Speedster. 

Will I build it?

Yes. 

As a gasser. tango_face_grin.png.3f2a3c6d532c6791f7823c3ea1c5c57e.png After I fix the body problems.

(Re the Floride/Caravelle: Record also made a Dauphine that is fully detailed; unfortunately it has issues with the body shape. A friend of mine is looking at combining it with the Hubley body to get an accurate model.)

1964 Plymouth Fury Convertible..Original unbuilt JoHan annual..Had for many years..Kit was in mint condition..Because of my stroke in 1998 and not having the dexterity to build it like it should be done, I shipped it to Frank LuQue who I met years ago at NNL North..He does fantastic work..Sent him photo's of the real deal and he built it for me..Here are some pictures and of the real deal..

1964 Fury at Princess Auto August 26,2017 #5.jpg

1964 Fury Engine August 26,2017  #2.jpg

1964 Fury convertible Feb 5,2018 #2.jpg

1964 Fury convertible Feb 5,2018 engine #4.jpg

1964 Fury convertible Feb 5,2018 #3.jpg

Even though I think have several 'rare'(or morelikely harder to find) kits, I think this one stands out. The normal 1/12 Mazda RX-7 is already hard to find, but this is a test-shot from the Hasegawa factory, to regain trust after the 1/12 Nisaan 300ZX problematics.
I have a second RX-7 kit and it is noticably different from the test-shot, some textures are different and also some finishes.

I will definately build the normal one, not sure of building this one. It is unique as it is and  not to be found again

mazdarx7001.jpg

mazdarx7004.jpg

mazdarx7006.jpgmazdarx7007.jpg

23 hours ago, Renegade said:

I'll play. Got the Foxy Vette from Jeffdeoranut in a trade, the ambulance from another member and the JYD from E-bay about 15 years ago. All are MIB.Would like to build them though I'm afrain my weathering skills are not up to doing justice to the JYD. Plan to do the ambulance for my firetruck collection. The decals are ate up for Farrahs vette, need to see if anybody makes a replacement set. Have over 60 unbuilt kits and probably that many more started so these are down on the list.

SAM_0495.JPG

The Foxy Vette looks a lot like the Eckler Corvette.

3 hours ago, PARTSMARTY said:

Probably my rarest would me my revell triumph drag bike-original issue. I've had it about 30 years and just started on it about1-2 months ago.There are still many kits out there i would love to have.

I mangled one of those as a kid, unobtainium now!  Hope to see pics.

22 hours ago, peekay said:

This is probably my rarest kit, certainly my oldest:

2v2uMySa5xAgWB5.jpgHosted on Fotki

2v2uMySeNxAgWB5.jpgHosted on Fotki

2v2uMySZrxAgWB5.jpgHosted on Fotki

2v2uMySQjxAgWB5.jpgHosted on Fotki

2v2uMySb8xAgWB5.jpgHosted on Fotki

Wow, never knew this kit existed. My parents had one when I was a kid. exact same color combination and it was a 4 door

What scale is this ? Guessing maybe 1-43rd or 1-32nd ?

Edited by gtx6970

A lot of kits I've never seen and some beautiful builds of some ... BUILD THEM ALL!

My rarest is a Product Miniature Corp. 1951 Plymouth Promo that I tore apart to build my first car. It's still in the process but has been massaged with body fixes and all chrome trim added.

ebay 51 Plymouth 012116-061

window trim two DSC 1982

Another one I have, though may not  be quite so rare is a JOHAN Boss 429 Mercury Comet Pro-Stock.  Traded a set of resin Ardun heads for it a few years back.  Picture from Ebay.

Comet Pro-Stock.jpg

Edited by TarheelRick