Model Cars Magazine Forum

whats the rarest model you own and did you build it?

I don't have many rare kits, only a few.
In my stash I have the sought after MPC More American Grafitti Milner Dragster, an AMT 1962 Thunderbird Annual, an AMT 1964 Fairlane Annual, an AMT 1965 Thunderbird Annual, an original issue Jo-Han AMC Rebell Machine, a MPC Mako Shark Corvette, two each of the original issue AMT Tyrone Malone Super Boss and Bandag Bandit race trucks and Papa Truck and Hideout Truck transporters,  one each of the original T500-500 and second issue T500 AMT Peterbilt California Hauler, and for sure some that I forgot right now...and no, I have not built them yet but I plan to. :rolleyes:

Edited by Force

19 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

Wow, never knew this kit existed. My parents had one when I was a kid. exact same color combination and it was a 4 door

What scale is this ? Guessing maybe 1-43rd or 1-32nd ?

It's 1.32nd.

I had to think about it, because I have a number of desirable older kits in the collection. For the sheer "Holy @#*& !!!" factor, the unbuilt Monogram Futurista and the restorable UncertainT are definitely at the head of the class. All of my kits were bought with the intention of building, so it's a matter of living until the age of 150 in order to complete the builds.

Rarest I've built so far have been the Revell Lancia Stratos and the "Dr. Krook's Medicine Show".  I had to make up a few parts on the Medicine Show and crib a few from the Guber Wagen, but it came out really well.  :)  I've got a full detail Chrysler Turbine that I'll be building one of these days, along with a Jo-Han Superbird.  

On 7/6/2018 at 6:53 AM, Dann Tier said:

Its a toss-up between these three; My original Airfix JB DB-5, which I just started yesterday,  my Chitty Chitty Bang Bang....original, was still sealed, but I opened it since i'm going to build it too, and my Fujimi Ferrari 288 GTO kit No.9......VERY hard to find!!!      -I don't care how rare, I build them all!!

DS_DB_top.jpg

aurora-1968-chitty-chitty-bang-bang_1_f37a3e9d6fa3461c3fdbe81b0bfbbcf0.jpg

124_Ferrari_288_GTO_Enthusiast_Model_29763.jpg

I agree with you -i don't care how rare a kit is-i build everything.

Edited by PARTSMARTY

I had the Jo-Han "Haulin Hearse, I built it and hacked the front clip off to turn it into a flip - nose. This was in 1984

I eventually "Cannibalized " the two engine's and some other part's for something else. Sold the body for $10

Now I would "love" to find another one .... preferably for less than $100.00       Way less !

I usually don't buy old or rare models, not much of a collector, but I guess my most rare or valuable build would be my Ertl International Scout SS that I just finished. Of course they just announced they were repoping it, so it might not be so "rare and valuable" anymore, lol.

Jeff

20180701_122234.jpg

1 hour ago, Goose1957 said:

I usually don't buy old or rare models, not much of a collector, but I guess my most rare or valuable build would be my Ertl International Scout SS that I just finished. Of course they just announced they were repoping it, so it might not be so "rare and valuable" anymore, lol.

Jeff

Nice Jeff..! Did you post it in the Under Glass section?

Public Service Announcement: the movie "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" is playing on Turner Classic Movies tonight, Sun. July 8 at 8 PM EST. Hopefully not too late for anyone interested to fire up the DVR and grab a reference copy.

1. Revell Dave Deal "Deal's Wheels" Trans-Um Tirebird -- in Japanese packaging. Not built.

2. [brand name not available] 1975 Indy 500 winner. Not built.

Both were given to me by the former Revell R&D and sales manager whom I later worked for at Zee Toys in the 1980s.

5 hours ago, D. Battista said:

Pete was probably talking about one of these two kits also 1/12 scale by Gunze Sangyo

gunze-sangyo-bsa-dbd34-gold-star-12_1_eeec0fcf1e2f6e34ae067ab021f28f69.jpg.3efea359312840244d7f921ae0be8421.jpgs-l1600.jpg.4d99cfe7e8c942e0f85e5d9db2fc239b.jpg

Yup, that's the one.  They go for a pretty penny went they show up on the internet.  Several now that they are asking a couple of hundred for shipped from Japan.  I many have to just take a trip and see if I can dig one out for less. :lol:  If anyone has one of these I would gladly trade the Indian for it or perhaps the Indian and another incentive kit. I have a good collection of the Gunze high tech stuff. like the SWB, GTO, XKE, Cobra Dayton, etc.

Edited by Pete J.