Model Cars Magazine Forum

whats the rarest model you own and did you build it?

4 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I have an AMT Mark Donahue Javelin but I don't know what year it is--somewhere between '71 and '74. Definitely not a '70. :( I'm probably going to use it with a Jimmy Flintstone '70 Javelin Trans Am body to build a '70 TA racer. 

The Jo-Han boxed Donohue Javelin was a '70.  The '71 version ("Coke-bottle" body, two long rectangular taillights) was boxed by AMT.  I've seen mail-order ads for that kit.  Jo-Han re-boxed it again as the George Follmer/Roy Woods Racing version.  (Woods took the program over from Roger Penske when Penske moved AMC into NASCAR in '72.)  Some of the earliest Jo-Han Follmer kits may have been '72s (single wide taillight with "egg-crate" trim) but I've never seen one.  The one I have is a '73-'74 (body color taillight panel, smooth roof).  I don't think the 1:1 Trans-Am cars were ever updated to '73-'74 trim as depicted in most (if not all) Jo-Han Follmer kits.

I'm pretty certain Fred Cady made decals for the Donohue '71, and possibly the '70 as well. 

15 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

Not sure what my rarest is...my oldest is an AMT '58 Edsel ht annual, that I bought as a builtup.  It's my only '58 annual--have a bunch of '59 annuals incl. Chevys, Pontiacs, an Olds, Ford, Edsel, Mercury and Lincoln.      I have the '70 Mark Donahue Javelin unbuilt and complete.     Loads of '60s-70s annuals from AMT, MPC and Johan in my stash, some unbuilt, some I bought built in good shape, some built I want to restore.   

any chance you would part with the Donahue javelin?

11 hours ago, Mark said:

The Jo-Han boxed Donohue Javelin was a '70.  The '71 version ("Coke-bottle" body, two long rectangular taillights) was boxed by AMT.  I've seen mail-order ads for that kit.  Jo-Han re-boxed it again as the George Follmer/Roy Woods Racing version.  (Woods took the program over from Roger Penske when Penske moved AMC into NASCAR in '72.)  Some of the earliest Jo-Han Follmer kits may have been '72s (single wide taillight with "egg-crate" trim) but I've never seen one.  The one I have is a '73-'74 (body color taillight panel, smooth roof).  I don't think the 1:1 Trans-Am cars were ever updated to '73-'74 trim as depicted in most (if not all) Jo-Han Follmer kits.

I'm pretty certain Fred Cady made decals for the Donohue '71, and possibly the '70 as well. 

That would make mine a 71 then!

Not sure if this kit would qualify as rare , other than its 1972-only issuance : mpc-1972-plymouth-duster.jpg.4f50a9b7cb84d0b80d6e7be72c0cb95d.jpgPerhaps its French-Canadian descent ( i.e. , its instruction sheet is en Français et English ) may be a contributor to its (potentially) "rare" status ?

Yes , I'm going to build it . I'm at a stalemate for the time being ; I want to add the scoop ( part of the Arlen Vanke version ) , but am leery about *devirginising* that clean bonnet ! Additionally , I'm planning to use the engine / transmission from the 1980 Duster ( small block / TorqueFlite combo ) ; the side pipes from the c.1984 issue of the "Dodge Duster" [sic] , and ; wheels and tyres from the 1969 Trans Am White Lightning ( Spyders wheels ) .

I'm also going to polish its plastic , as it's moulded in (close-enough to ) FY1 Lemon Twist .  

1 hour ago, 1972coronet said:

Not sure if this kit would qualify as rare , other than its 1972-only issuance : mpc-1972-plymouth-duster.jpg.4f50a9b7cb84d0b80d6e7be72c0cb95d.jpgPerhaps its French-Canadian descent ( i.e. , its instruction sheet is en Français et English ) may be a contributor to its (potentially) "rare" status ?

Yes , I'm going to build it . I'm at a stalemate for the time being ; I want to add the scoop ( part of the Arlen Vanke version ) , but am leery about *devirginising* that clean bonnet ! Additionally , I'm planning to use the engine / transmission from the 1980 Duster ( small block / TorqueFlite combo ) ; the side pipes from the c.1984 issue of the "Dodge Duster" [sic] , and ; wheels and tyres from the 1969 Trans Am White Lightning ( Spyders wheels ) .

I'm also going to polish its plastic , as it's moulded in (close-enough to ) FY1 Lemon Twist .  

Believe it or not, I have one of those. It's the only original post-1969 car I bought back in the day (around 1970 I switched back to building model airplanes). I don't remember when I bought it, or where, or why. Even stranger, the only thing I don't have is the box. I have it stored in an original annual AMT '69 Chevelle box. I have no recollection of how or why that came about. 

If I ever get around to building mine, I'll almost certainly polish up the yellow plastic, too, though as I recall it's a bit translucent. 

12 hours ago, Snake45 said:

If I ever get around to building mine, I'll almost certainly polish up the yellow plastic, too, though as I recall it's a bit translucent. 

That's one of my stumbling blocks as well : "just how opaque or translucent is that plastic ?" . 

I keep thinking that I'll just make it a two tone model --- paint the roof if the black-painted headliner compromises its appearance vs. the main body . 

Then again , I do have an aerosol can of GY3 Curious Yellow / Citron Yella ready to go (even if it's incorrect for any Chrysler before / after 1971 ...) . I also have a can of TB3 Basin Street Blue / Super Blue ...

Edited by 1972coronet

13 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

I have 3 of these. 2 molded in yellow. one molded in a color really close to Curious yellow /.

Also have 2 of the molded in red Butch Leal Duster pro stocks

Ive had a couple MPC kits where the instructions were something besides English. ( I think?? they were french ). My most recent one was a mpc 1970 Challenger molded in white, instructions were french

11 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

That's one of my stumbling blocks as well : "just how opaque or translucent is that plastic ?" . 

I keep thinking that I'll just make it a two tone model --- paint the roof if the black-painted headliner compromises its appearance vs. the main body . 

Then again , I do have an aerosol can of GY3 Curious Yellow / Citron Yella ready to go (even if it's incorrect for any Chrysler before / after 1971 ...) . I also have a can of TB3 Basin Street Blue / Super Blue ...

Line your headliner with white vinyl tape. If you want a white headliner, just leave it like that. If you want some other color, paint it; the white vinyl will still be backing up the yellow plastic. 

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I've seen this kit, but forget the year.

What year is it?

Steve

The artwork is "adapted from" the '69 annual box. But I can't tell for sure that what's in the box is a '69. 

Every time I see Don Greer art, I like it even more! B)

13 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I've seen this kit, but forget the year.

What year is it?

Steve

It's a '69.  It was released in an annual-style box also: same parts, even the same decals.  I had the annual kit back then, have one of these now.  This one is the tougher of the two to find.

3 hours ago, thatz4u said:

wish Round 2 would repop this one ^^^^^^^

Not gonna happen.

This is surely one of those kits that had the molds changed as the years progressed.

The '72 is the final year of this generation of Chevy truck, which oddly enough corresponds with the only one ever re-popped. ;)

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

10 hours ago, Mark said:

It's a '69.  It was released in an annual-style box also: same parts, even the same decals.  I had the annual kit back then, have one of these now.  This one is the tougher of the two to find.

I have the annual, it has a funky camper cap.  I also have the MPC '69 w/ fire truck option and the Open Road camper version.