Racing, Hot Rod, truck and aircraft engines by FTB

landman

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Nice job Pat.  I really love the shifter on the transmission.  Sorry to be so ignorant but I was wondering to know the vehicle and model year this engine was in use?  I'm just curious...!

The offenhauser engines were used mostly at Indianapolis and in midget racers. This one comes from a midget kit. I believe its designoriginated from the Miller racers of the 30’s. Others might pipe up and correct me if I am mistaken.

Edited by landman

11 hours ago, landman said:

Continental TS325 Gas turbine as used in the Howmet racing cars. 2 stage gas turbine, 2900cc/350 hp. This engine could reach 57,000 rpm. It is a gift from fellow member Jack Lira (Jack L).

DSC_0029.JPG

DSC_0030.JPG

DSC_0031.JPG

looks good, glad to contribute

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, grodudulle77 said:

Hello Pat , nice work on details !! ??It’s not the original gear box, where does it come from ?         Philippe.

Merci Philippe. The original transmission of the kit looked like this. I had cut it off when I set that engine up for the diorama. The one I put on is likely one I had removed from one of the truck engines in this thread. It represents a Fuller Roadranger.

IMG_0062.JPG

15 minutes ago, grodudulle77 said:

Ok Pat, i ever saw this gear box with other engine . I always thought that the maximum engine power of the 3406 was much higher ! 400 hp, it’s good to know. ?

This is where I got it. it is for a marine engine. Not sure if the truck engines were different.

See the source image

Merci beaucoup Pat , i think that the 3406 Cat ( of the 359 Pete snap tite) has only 325 hp because it is only turbocharged and not aftercooled , i always wondered how many hp for this Pete . Thanks a lot for the documents and the Caterpillar data ! ??.           Philippe.