Model Cars Magazine Forum

Racing, Hot Rod, truck and aircraft engines by FTB

landman

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

A DOHC engine has two camshafts in each cylider head, the Merlin has only one in each head so it's a SOHC, it also has four valves per cylinder, two spark plugs and two magnetos, and one carburetor...27 litres of hair rising sound that gives the viewer goose bumps. ;)
I really love to see and hear these old WW2 V12 aircraft engines. B)

Edited by Force

1 hour ago, Force said:

A DOHC engine has two camshafts in each cylider head, the Merlin has only one in each head so it's a SOHC, it also has four valves per cylinder, two spark plugs and two magnetos, and one carburetor...27 litres of hair rising sound that gives the viewer goose bumps. ;)
I really love to see and hear these old WW2 V12 aircraft engines. B)

I can't remember where I git that, corected it to SOHC. thanks for pointing it out.

22 hours ago, landman said:

Is that the one from Shapeways?

No Pat, that came from Clearly Scale before he got sick.

I fabricated coil covers from mufflers because I didn't like the look of the coils on top.

I do have the one from 3D Model Specialties on Shapeways that I plan to put in a 56 Belair this winter.

12 Cyl LS Scale Model Engine Parts.jpg

2 hours ago, MeatMan said:

No Pat, that came from Clearly Scale before he got sick.

I fabricated coil covers from mufflers because I didn't like the look of the coils on top.

I do have the one from 3D Model Specialties on Shapeways that I plan to put in a 56 Belair this winter.

I regret not having bought that one as well. I looked at it many times but always put it back until it was too late.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2018 at 8:17 AM, landman said:

Ford V8 with Frenzel supercharger. The motor is from the junk pile, the heads are by Flat32 and the supercharger is by Pico Elgin. I understand those are rather scarce. It is certainly unique.

DSC_0255_4.jpg

DSC_0253_8.jpg

DSC_0252_6.jpg

I did a little research on the Frenzel supercharger and there only about 12 known to exist today.

33 minutes ago, misterNNL said:

I did a little research on the Frenzel supercharger and there only about 12 known to exist today.

That's what I hear. I wonder if anybody reproduces them. Perhaps they aren't very efficient. Who knows.

Very impressive collection of built-for-display engines. Are these all kit engines or are some resin? I bought a Cummins 5.9 for a project and am looking for a reliable source of reference for plumbing and wiring details for it. Any suggestions? I think one could build a lot of display model engines based on Ford four cylinders from the model T era. Innovation and experimentation abounded in those early days of automotive history. Thanks for sharing your stuff with us.

39 minutes ago, misterNNL said:

Very impressive collection of built-for-display engines. Are these all kit engines or are some resin? I bought a Cummins 5.9 for a project and am looking for a reliable source of reference for plumbing and wiring details for it. Any suggestions? I think one could build a lot of display model engines based on Ford four cylinders from the model T era. Innovation and experimentation abounded in those early days of automotive history. Thanks for sharing your stuff with us.

Thanks Tom. Most are kits bought from breakers. Some are resin. A few are built from junk engines I had bought by the bagful. A few of them were scrtachbuuilt.I always check the internet for detailing ideas and of course I look right here within the ranks. Sometimes I goof as shown above with the Ardun engine. What is worse, I knew that the Ardun heads had four ports and that the three in-block ports on the flathead were blanked off, and yet....

On 2019-04-10 at 12:37 AM, Flat32 said:

Seriously??

After rereading Jollysipper’s thread about converting  the Ardun  back to flathead, I realized thisengine must be from the earlier Ford truck kit as it has the flathead intake. So, back to the drawing board.

7 hours ago, Vietnam Vet67 said:

Chrysler never built a running version of the  A925 DOHC Hemi. DOHC V8, 426 cu.in.. Couldn't find a horsepower rating. Experimental engine. We had a block with heads to do valve train development only.

GREAT set of engine builds..............awesome!

Thank you ED. that explains the scarcity of information. So in all those magazine photos it was a mockup?

8 hours ago, landman said:

Thank you ED. that explains the scarcity of information. So in all those magazine photos it was a mockup?

After the program was cancelled by Chrysler Engineering  the left over pieces made into the real world after being disposed by Chrysler. One engine I know of for sure was built up from various pieces and has been shown around in various magazines. I did some of the valve train development on the engine dyno for awhile and the program was cancelled when NASCAR heard about it and said absolutely not. The black and white picture in the article shows the engine on the dyno at Chrysler where I worked on it for awhile.https://www.hotrod.com/articles/return-dohc-426-hemi/

Edited by Vietnam Vet67
addition of info.

41 minutes ago, Vietnam Vet67 said:

After the program was cancelled by Chrysler Engineering  the left over pieces made into the real world after being disposed by Chrysler. One engine I know of for sure was built up from various pieces and has been shown around in various magazines. I did some of the valve train development on the engine dyno for awhile and the program was cancelled when NASCAR heard about it and said absolutely not. The black and white picture in the article shows the engine on the dyno at Chrysler where I worked on it for awhile.https://www.hotrod.com/articles/return-dohc-426-hemi/

Now, that is a thrill to actually get it from  the man who was there. Thank you very, very much ED.

On 4/10/2019 at 9:11 AM, landman said:

That's what I hear. I wonder if anybody reproduces them. Perhaps they aren't very efficient. Who knows.

I saw one in person at the NSRA East show at York, PA several years ago. It was set up basically the same as your model version. I think it was in a 29 Ford if memory serves me correct.  The sign sitting next to the rod stated that it was a very rare original one. I snapped some pics of it, but sadly, they were on a memory card that went bad and are lost.? Your version, as always, looks great.

Jeff