Model Cars Magazine Forum

Project Rambler--Ideas/Suggestions Wanted

A few months back at the local toy show, I bought a box of JoHan Rambler “project” (two of the last-issue JoHan “pro street” SCRamblers). It looks like there's enough stuff here to get one stock car together, but not two. But I hate to waste anything so I want to try to get two complete cars out of what I have and/or can scrounge.

66Ramblers03.jpg.19032c6a8521fd7e3a62c4e3650f6276.jpg

66Ramblers04.jpg.081b240dc3e51b10b8ce4912ad3cf8c2.jpg

Neither of these models needs to be “stock.” In fact, I have no interest in building a stock SC/Ramber (I have a new unbuilt kit) or a stock Rambler American. But I want to build SOMETHING from them. TWO somethings, in fact. Looking for ideas and suggestions.

Here's what I have to work with:

2 body shells, 1 painted (I'll strip it); one with top removed (top not present).

2 hoods, 1 with large hole, 1 with ’69 Camaro cowl induction puttied on.

1 trunk lid (I should be able to vacform or scratchbuild another one)

1 set glass (windshield/backlight)

2 sets major body chrome (grille, front and rear bumpers)

2 interior tubs with dashboard

1 set factory seats

1 complete chassis with trunk and gas tank

1 complete engine

1 (at least) set taillights (not a big deal, I can make a second set if need be).

I also have an unbuilt original JoHan '66 Ramber American kit that I could possibly borrow some of the Custom parts from (I might build that one factory stock, someday).

So, what can I do with these two? I have a couple ideas in mind, but am interested in hearing what y'all think, or would do with them. Let the ideas roll!B)

Try to get a solid plan for how you're gonna build them.Than go through the stash and see what parts you have and than maybe you can go to the wanted section and put up a post for what you need.In the meantime disassembly could start.Great finds-i love doing restos.

Edited by PARTSMARTY

I would do the convertible as a Pro Tour type- modern LS power, nice wheels and smooth body. The hardtop I would build up as a sleeper- faded paint, turbo'd motor, narrowed rear end, steel wheels, plain interior.

I have a sealed SC/Rambler kit, still haven't figured out which direction to go.

47 minutes ago, mikemodeler said:

I would do the convertible as a Pro Tour type- modern LS power, nice wheels and smooth body. The hardtop I would build up as a sleeper- faded paint, turbo'd motor, narrowed rear end, steel wheels, plain interior.

I have a sealed SC/Rambler kit, still haven't figured out which direction to go.

Interesting suggestions, thanks! B)

26 minutes ago, OldTrucker said:

Maybe a prostreet chassis from the 67 Chevelle?

If I went prostreet, I'd think the chassis from the AMT '66 Nova would be a better fit all round. Thanks for the idea! B)

If there is a 3rd hood available, I suggest ditching the Chevy hood scoop and making an stretched out SC/Rambler style scoop or use the cowl portion of that hood for the bottom of the scoop and fab up a stretched upper. Power wise, I'd get one of the kits with a late model HEMI in it and use that engine instead.

Here's what the SC/Rambler scoop looked like.

scrambler_hood.jpg

Edited by Joe Handley

2 hours ago, Joe Handley said:

If there is a 3rd hood available, I suggest ditching the Chevy hood scoop and making an stretched out SC/Rambler style scoop or use the cowl portion of that hood for the bottom of the scoop and fab up a stretched upper. Power wise, I'd get one of the kits with a late model HEMI in it and use that engine instead.

Here's what the SC/Rambler scoop looked like.

scrambler_hood.jpg

I've got an unbuilt SCRambler kit to build someday. 

19 minutes ago, 1930fordpickup said:

Make a speedster out of the convertible.  Corvette chassis  but put an AMC 6 in it. 

Now we're getting somewhere. You're kinda in the ballpark of one of my ideas. B)

31 minutes ago, vettecote said:

I would go with an all out gasser! Or, Pro Touring. Even a Trans Am style for its era....Joe

Gasser was one of my very first ideas, and it's still not off the table. Also thought of Pro Touring. Era Trans Am is a VERY interesting idea, and is now on the table. Thanks! B)

7 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Yeah, an accurately prepped Trams Am car would be really cool for the one with a roof.

For the other one, I'd do a flat-top funny.   :D

A flat-top early funny also crossed my mind, but I have another idea I like even better. B)

51 minutes ago, thatz4u said:

here's what I did  with mine, I may have some extra parts if you need them,

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/127630-amc-american-ramblur/?tab=comments#comment-1851560

That's not too different from what I have in mind for the hardtop. Or, an idea that's very near the top of the pile. B)

The parts I could use most are a trunk lid, a windshield, and a top. But I can drive on without all three if need be. 

Here is another idea, for either one but maybe the convertible mostly. Smooth out the body and use the drivetrain from a Syclone kit (AWD, Turbo V-6), flare the fenders and stick some wide tires on it, maybe Pikes Peak style racer?

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 1:45 PM, Snake45 said:

That's not too different from what I have in mind for the hardtop. Or, an idea that's very near the top of the pile. B)

The parts I could use most are a trunk lid, a windshield, and a top. But I can drive on without all three if need be. 

I have a frame, trunk floor, & interior tub, lmk....

In cases like these, to cut corners, I look up the wheelbase, then look for cars with similar wheelbases that have been kitted in 1/25. Chances are there will be other parts that can be modified to fit without heavy scratch building. Often the concept ideas follow.