Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scale Motorsports Decal Magic?

Hello every one,

I'm in need of something gentle for older decals and it seems that Scale Motorsports Decal Magic may be the perfect solution.

Has any one tried the seemingly fine product?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by aurfalien

Depending on how old and how they were stored, older decals can become brittle and literally disintegrate when placed in water. Spray  light coat or two of Krylon Clear Gloss Acrylic on the decal sheet. This will prevent the decals from breaking up when placed in water. You'll need to cut and trim around each decal to remove them, though. 

Decal Magic is like other similar products available. It causes the adhesive to adhere better to the painted model surface and also softens the decal to conform to the surface. Personally, I use Micro Set and, if the decals are thick or require to conform to an irregular surface, Micro Sol. If you apply older decals which were oversprayed with Krylon or any other clear gloss, like Model Master Acryl Gloss Clear, .you'll definitely need to use Micro Sol.

1 hour ago, SfanGoch said:

Depending on how old and how they were stored, older decals can become brittle and literally disintegrate when placed in water. Spray  light coat or two of Krylon Clear Gloss Acrylic on the decal sheet. This will prevent the decals from breaking up when placed in water. You'll need to cut and trim around each decal to remove them, though. 

Decal Magic is like other similar products available. It causes the adhesive to adhere better to the painted model surface and also softens the decal to conform to the surface. Personally, I use Micro Set and, if the decals are thick or require to conform to an irregular surface, Micro Sol. If you apply older decals which were oversprayed with Krylon or any other clear gloss, like Model Master Acryl Gloss Clear, .you'll definitely need to use Micro Sol.

Hello and thank you sir.  This all makes sense to me.  Yes my older decals were brittle so it sounds like a clear coat on the sheet is the right call

Thanks again..

Edited by aurfalien