Model Cars Magazine Forum

289 FIA Cobra (64 Targ Florio) MFH

Gt fan

3 hours ago, Gt fan said:

Afx ...do you have any pictures of the front of the motor? The mfh kit didn't come with and alternator bracket. Trying to make one out of something. Thanks for the help.

Image result for ford 289 engineImage result for ford 289 engineImage result for ford 289 alternator brackets

Edited by afx

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 6:33 PM, afx said:

It may be a notch above but at 3-times the cost of the HRM kit the MFH should be better.  I hate to nit pick someone else build thread and if it bothers you Tim please let me know and I will delete the post.  However the MFH cylinder head based on the exhaust ports looks more like a 427 than a 289.  I doubt it will be noticeable on the finished build with the headers and spark plug wires in place and is certainly no reflection on you Tim and your building skills. 

289:

Image result for ford 289 heads

427:

Image result for ford 427 heads

when I saw the headers, I said FE to myself

Thank you very much. This is one of there earlier kits. I feel like the is detail missing that should be there for a kit of this caliber. Ordered hose clamps and engine brackets from Detail Master. It was like Christmas morning when I saw the package in the mailbox. See photo three of four clamps are done. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

On 7/15/2018 at 8:42 PM, Gt fan said:

Thank you very much. That gives me a starting point.

From the picture of the FIA Cobra engine bay earlier in this thread, it looks like they put the adjustable/slotted part of the bracket on top - kind of the reverse of these photos. You won't end up seeing much of the lower bracket once the engine is in the car.

Just a update photo. The cap has been drilled out. The hose clamps and shocks have been added. The bracket and some of the alternator parts have been added. Everything is made out of metal. I may have to reinforce the shelf when done. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• 3 months later...

Here are the pictures from earlier and a few new ones. The drive shaft didn’t fit at all. I had to cut it in half and glue it back together. After drying I put some putty on it to smooth out the seam. The heads were drilled out and the headers fitted with the side pipes. The finish on them is the way they came out of the magnetic tumbler. Gonna kill me to paint them black. I started on the seats as well. They had a few sink holes in them and a nasty side seam. Tomorrow I hope to be able to fit the motor in and get into the interior more. 

EF534620-6037-4BB9-940A-DE8C2D70EB41.jpeg

959DBF60-437D-424E-9E21-C9AE89CFF3F9.jpeg

3E02ADCF-18A3-486F-AF5E-82D1B73E13FE.jpeg

77A002CE-B3C4-4DA0-ACE1-07B6E709226E.jpeg

1239BCC3-96AB-4595-9C8F-53B4F2791928.jpeg

F9CDBAEE-D2B7-4DF8-A3FF-7E3E8586788B.jpeg

Thanks for all the kinds words everyone...it’s been a labor of love.. thought it was gonna be a lawn dart a few times. Here is a update photo , lm working on the interior bucket and getting it to fit in the frame rails even. The seats are metal as well. I scribed the lines a bit deeper. The only resin part in the chassis so far is the interior bucket . It has some weight too it

image.jpg

image.jpg

I know you know this Rick but for others that may not, the 427 had an OEM Mustang shifter installed backwards thus the forward lean. The big block positioned the transmission further back in the tunnel and a straight shifter would have been nearly behind the driver. 

Thanks for the heads up on the local.on the shifter. I may pull it out and fill the hole and repaint it. I just need to see if I have a kit that has a good one in it. I'm looking for a good picture of where the seat beats  good on the seat and where they pass though.