Model Cars Magazine Forum

Murphy was right!

1 hour ago, Rob Hall said:

I once chased my 5lb Yorkie around the back yard to retrieve a hood from an unbuilt MPC '68 Camaro that I had dropped on the floor.  It now has tiny teeth marks. 

He never would've been interested if it was a reissue, ONLY the vintage original issue parts. And only the unbuilt ones, maybe because they're MINT flavored. ?

3 minutes ago, Modlbldr said:

If you have two identical parts to glue on (ie. mirrors), the first goes on smoothly but the second one will fight you to the death every time!!!

This is so true, it's ridiculous. It holds true for making scratchbuilt parts, too. The first one is made quickly and easily, with a pleasing result. It takes six (at least) tries to make a mate for it that is as good as the first. Every time!

When you need just a little superglue like a small drop you will mess up and accidently squirt out way to much so you cant touch any part without getting stuck for atleast an hour..
When succesfully applied superglue to any part and you are thinking for your self lets be careful now your fingers will find a small drop of glue on something that is very visible when mounted and the part is stuck to your fingers..
So any tips on how to remove dried superglue with a fingerprint from the clear plastic that is used as a windshield for a truck...

1 hour ago, PierreR89 said:

So any tips on how to remove dried superglue with a fingerprint from the clear plastic that is used as a windshield for a truck...

Sand and polish it off/out, no problem at all. Have done it many times. 

19 hours ago, Bainford said:

This is so true, it's ridiculous. It holds true for making scratchbuilt parts, too. The first one is made quickly and easily, with a pleasing result. It takes six (at least) tries to make a mate for it that is as good as the first. Every time!

Amen! I've had this problem occur many times. Never can get two identical parts to look alike.

Later-

Interestingly, there was a real Murphy and he was an engineer on the early rocket sled test.  Thought I would toss out a list of Murphy's axioms for your pleasure. There are actually a whole series and they all apply to model building!

Murphy's Original Law
If there are two or more ways to do something, and one of those ways can result in a catastrophe, then someone will do it.
Murphy's Law
If anything can go wrong -- it will.
Murphy's First Corollary
Left to themselves, things tend to go from bad to worse.
Murphy's Second Corollary
It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.
Quantized Revision of Murphy's Law
Everything goes wrong all at once.
Murphy's Constant
Matter will be damaged in direct proportion to its value.
The Murphy Philosophy
Smile... tomorrow will be worse.
Edited by Pete J.

First days in drafting class were spent lettering Murphy's laws.  Great teacher but he lover to watch us do this so many times over and over. You could not erase anything or leave smudge marks, no misspelled words and every comma in its place..  This was very hard for me as my penmanship is very bad.  

30 minutes ago, 1930fordpickup said:

First days in drafting class were spent lettering Murphy's laws.  Great teacher but he lover to watch us do this so many times over and over. You could not erase anything or leave smudge marks, no misspelled words and every comma in its place..  This was very hard for me as my penmanship is very bad.  

My guess is that you know what this is and how to use it.  I still have mine!

Ames Lettering Guide

Lettering guides weren't used in tech drawing classes when I was required to take the course as a high school freshman. We were taught to print freehand using single stroke inclined capitals 1/8" in height.

This was the bible in technical drawing class in Brooklyn Tech H.S.:

Related image

44 years later, i still have my copy.

3 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

Lettering guides weren't used in tech drawing classes when I was required to take the course as a high school freshman. We were taught to print freehand using single stroke inclined capitals 1/8" in height.

Related image

Yup, it was that very same way, in my Freshman & Sophomore yrs of High School, and Drafting Class, at West Lafayette Indiana Senior High School (about half a mile from the Purdue University Campus there).  Fortunately, the father of one of my buddies, Prof. Warren Luzadder, taught drafting to Purdue University Students majoring in Engineering, back in the days before CAD was even dreamed of--he understood how to guide me in learning to use a T-Square, Triangles and a French Curve as any right hander would do--and coached me in how to do letters  and numbers in the accepted style but left-handed.  While I struggled a good bit learning that, I did make it--got A's in both years of Drafting, but never, ever have I used those now-very rusty skills!

Art

Edited by Art Anderson

Bugs will never land in primer, or any color coat or clear that will get sanded anyway.

They will wait for the last coat of dead-perfect glossy clear, and then, rather than have the courtesy to stay in one place, they will struggle and make tracks as far as buggly possible, usually involving their wings in the carnage as well.

And rather than choosing a single panel, they will invariably land in the middle of the roof, requiring the entire model to be stripped.

3 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

Yup. I still have mine too, and my day-to-day printing of shop notes reflects the training (which continued at GT) as does my frequent use of old-school drafting skills rather than going always to CAD.

Remember how easy it was to completely ruin a drawing during the inking process? One moment of inattention...

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Bugs will never land in primer, or any color coat or clear that will get sanded anyway.

They will wait for the last coat of dead-perfect glossy clear, and then, rather than have the courtesy to stay in one place, they will struggle and make tracks as far as buggly possible, usually involving their wings in the carnage as well.

And rather than choosing a single panel, they will invariably land in the middle of the roof, requiring the entire model to be stripped.

Dust specks follow the same rule. They wait until you've sprayed that last color coat, then fall Kamikaze style right in the middle of the roof - why is it always the roof?!

Got my Ames lettering guide and learned to use it my freshman year(1967)at U of Wyoming.  There was not such thing as technical drawing of the curriculum.  Only drafting I &II.  Still have all my tools including the drafting board, T-square, compass set, drafting pencil sharpener, and cleaning bag.  Only class I got an A in my freshman year. 

45 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

While laying down the best paint job ever, you get ambushed by one of those sneaky sneezes...

I had an ex who was much like a sneaky sneeze. She seemed to be able to sense when I was in a critical phase of laminating a carbon part, or working through a difficult formula, or doing something equally "do not disturb".

I'd told her countless times never to show up without previously clearing a time slot, so I'd know not to get involved in anything important. But she never considered anything but her own wants, and would preface her opening remarks with "I don't mean to disturb you, but..." while my vacuum-bagging would develop a leak, or the resin would go off in the pot, explosively exotherming, or innumerable other costly problems would crop up due to my inattention.

It's remarkable I never strangled her.

To Whom it May Concern: This is not a digression into "personal relationships". It is a continuation of the topic regarding "things happening at the worst possible time". I felt that should be clarified.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I had an ex who was much like a sneaky sneeze. She seemed to be able to sense when I was in a critical phase of laminating a carbon part, or working through a difficult formula, or doing something equally "do not disturb".

I'd told her countless times never to show up without previously clearing a time slot, so I'd know not to get involved in anything important. But she never considered anything but her own wants, and would preface her opening remarks with "I don't mean to disturb you, but..." while my vacuum-bagging would develop a leak, or the resin would go off in the pot, explosively exotherming, or innumerable other costly problems would crop up due to my inattention.

It's remarkable I never strangled her.

To Whom it May Concern: This is not a digression into "personal relationships". It is a continuation of the topic regarding "things happening at the worst possible time". I felt that should be clarified.

Um, OhKayy :blink:

11 hours ago, Pete J. said:

My guess is that you know what this is and how to use it.  I still have mine!

Ames Lettering Guide

Never had one of these. The school supplied our t square, protractors and triangles. But if you dropped equipment 3 times in a quarter you got a wack. This kept you on your toes and not turning around to BS to often. Again he was a great teacher along with being a good man. If you had a problem he was willing to talk to you and help you out with advice. 

Murphy?   Best paint job I ever did... not a mark in it.  Two tone separation lines perfect!  The problem?  This was on a body I had already pre-dented and pre-rusted for a beater.    So I just sighed,  hit it with the Dull Cote and proceeded with destroying it with the weathering process.

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

Murphy?   Best paint job I ever did... not a mark in it.  Two tone separation lines perfect!  The problem?  This was on a body I had already pre-dented and pre-rusted for a beater.    So I just sighed,  hit it with the Dull Cote and proceeded with destroying it with the weathering process.

Ain't it the truth. 

Then, there's the hood for that body with the best paint job ever. Somehow, after you set it aside, it gets sucked up into the interdimensional space-time vortex and is never seen again. The hood for a '70 Coronet Super Bee mysteriously vanished after I repainted the body following the sneaky sneeze incident. Never did find it.