Model Cars Magazine Forum

Murphy was right!

▪Joints or seams only disappear when I want them to show.

▪The quality of a paint job is in direct contrast to the cost of the kit.

▪The likelihood of finding a part that gets lost in the carpet is in opposite  proportion to the urgency of completing the project at hand.

▪A model kit is only rare if the desire to find it is urgent.

▪That fourth wheel always knows when to hide when it's needed most.

▪The glue ALWAYS runs out just before the last part needs it!

▪The likelihood of that freshly painted body falling to the ground before it dries is in direct proportion to the amount of body work done beforehand.

▪Paint removers work best on insignificant parts. 

▪The paint color chosen only matches the reference pictures BEFORE the paint touches the body.

Edited by Oldcarfan27

After you research the snot out of something and can't find an answer, and go with your best guess, as soon as the model is finished you will find you did it wrong. 

If you scratchbuild something, or build a difficult and/or expensive resin kit, as soon as you finish it, a mainstream kit will be announced. 

Lose a vital tool or essential paint? Don't waste more than 15 minutes looking for it. Then go buy another one. Within 24 hours, the thing you were looking for will be magically transported back from the Alternative Dimension in which it was hiding, and will appear right before your eyes. 

The prouder you are of some new creation, the fewer comments it will get in Under Glass. But post a couple pics of some POS you built years ago and watch the comments and compliments roll in! :wacko:

If you post a question, someone will answer with the solution that you already clearly stated was not possible or available or acceptable to you for whatever reason. :angry:

Edited by Snake45

You will not fool the Carpet Monster by working on a cement floor.  The Carpet Monster simply shape-shifts into the Cement Monster.  When parts fall, they bounce into another space/time dimension, never to be seen again.  The chance of that happening is always directly related to the scarcity of the part.

40 minutes ago, Spex84 said:

When you drop parts on the floor, they never bounce towards you; instead they bounce away at an impossibly shallow angle under the workbench and into the cobwebs.

Worth...every...last...penny...

https://www.google.com/search?q=grabber+tool&safe=active&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiJ4aGihpDcAhUHS60KHZGwAjcQ_AUICygC&biw=1280&bih=699#imgrc=Lus8gAe2FawBcM:

When I carefully research the firing order, wire the engine, and some "expert" decides to insist to me that it's all wrong (so then, I wire up a V8 at random, not caring about the firing order, only to have another expert compliment me for getting it right?)  What's a modeler to do, huh?

Art

4 hours ago, BeakDoc said:

-The more BMF a model requires, the better it works. When a model needs minimal BMF the foil gives you fits.

Ha! I just dealt with this an hour ago BMF'ing the Pinninfarina badges on my Testarossa. little bits just disintegrate and/or stick to everything except the spot it needs to go on.

5 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Lose a vital tool or essential paint? Don't waste more than 15 minutes looking for it. Then go buy another one. Within 24 hours, the thing you were looking for will be magically transported back from the Alternative Dimension in which it was hiding, and will appear right before your eyes. 

Or it will return ONLY after you've given up on the project and just sold it on Ebay!

There are times in life in which fail must fall.....

I tried to replicate the pearl bomb dip that Dip Your Car did on their S8 on one of the Speed Shapes I bought from Resto Paint yesterday, went like I thought it likely could, just not as I hoped..........came out like clear coated sandpaper:rolleyes:

20180708_182141.jpg

20180708_182153.jpg

Now my PrimeTime Grey experiment, that came out perfectB)

20180707_210913-1.jpg

20180707_212024-1.jpg

Edited by Joe Handley

3 hours ago, TomZ said:

Doesn't happen every time, but I just finished applying the final heavy coat on a car body and then promptly dropped it in the cats' litter box.

Wow, that's adding insult to injury!

4 hours ago, TomZ said:

Doesn't happen every time, but I just finished applying the final heavy coat on a car body and then promptly dropped it in the cats' litter box.

Maybe that was Murphy's opinion on your color choice! LOL

Actually, that happened to me too. I had just finished spraying the best paint job of my life (to hear me tell it), when I turned to put the spray can down and bumped the table it was sitting on and "plop" right onto the floor. So I feel your pain!

Of course I had a ton of bodywork already done on it, so stripping the paint off messed up most of that too. Needless to say, that project never got finished. 

16 hours ago, TomZ said:

What did the cat think about you getting paint in his litter box???

On 7/8/2018 at 12:21 PM, Snake45 said:

The prouder you are of some new creation, the fewer comments it will get in Under Glass. But post a couple pics of some POS you built years ago and watch the comments and compliments roll in! :wacko:

If you post a question, someone will answer with the solution that you already clearly stated was not possible or available or acceptable to you for whatever reason. :angry:

Ain't it the truth!

I think somebody posted this story on this board long ago, but maybe not:

Guy was doing one of those jobs where he needed a lot of super-glue. So he poured some on a piece of tinfoil...

...just as his cat wandered into the room. Naturally, Mr. Cat was curious and jumped up onto the workbench...

...where his rear paws landed in the puddle of super-glue.  Then he jumped down...

...where his rear paws stuck firmly to the floor.  The poor cat freaked out and tried to escape from the Glue Monster. But only his front paws would move.

Owner grabbed a bottle of Debonder and tried to squirt it under the cat's back paws.  But by now the cat was really mad and frustrated, and lashing out in every direction with his front paws.  The Debonder eventually worked and the cat shot out of the room at a high rate of speed.  And his owner ran for the bandages.

Edited by Mike999

42 minutes ago, Mike999 said:

by now the cat was really mad and frustrated, and lashing out in every direction with his front paws.  The Debonder eventually worked and the cat shot out of the room at a high rate of speed.  And his owner ran for the bandages.

Lemme guess, then Tom Zs cat went and knocked his project into the litter box? ?

What is it with cats and model kits? Years ago, I had one that decided that old vintage plastic model parts tasted good and proceeded to chew on irreplaceable parts with vigor. AARRGGHH!

10 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

What is it with cats and model kits? Years ago, I had one that decided that old vintage plastic model parts tasted good and proceeded to chew on irreplaceable parts with vigor. AARRGGHH!

Murphy's Law states that the likelihood a cat will eat a vintage model part is directly proportional to the unobtainability of a replacement part.

1 hour ago, Bainford said:

Murphy's Law states that the likelihood a cat will eat a vintage model part is directly proportional to the unobtainability of a replacement part.

I once chased my 5lb Yorkie around the back yard to retrieve a hood from an unbuilt MPC '68 Camaro that I had dropped on the floor.  It now has tiny teeth marks.