Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '68 Corvette Roadster 2'n1

Justin Dodson

Hopefully the oil-based Sharpie will dry on your vinyl tires- oil-based enamel paints typically stay tacky and smear-able forever on vinyl, which is why lacquer or acrylic are the go-to products for whitewalls and white letters...fingers crossed.

19 hours ago, gman said:

Hopefully the oil-based Sharpie will dry on your vinyl tires- oil-based enamel paints typically stay tacky and smear-able forever on vinyl, which is why lacquer or acrylic are the go-to products for whitewalls and white letters...fingers crossed.

Fortunately they are dry. Thank you for the concern though! 

Okay so I tried using the Molotow chrome pens on the front bumper/grille. But it would not get into the deep parts (the white areas) of the grille as shown below. MCM-Post12.thumb.JPG.4d3e672ae86ef72ac56e47486c87a53a.JPGSo here's my plan: remove all of the chrome so that it's bare plastic again, and spray paint the entire piece black. Once the black paint is dry, carefully apply the chrome pen onto the outermost lines. That way, the black will represent the "darkness" behind the grille.  
Does anyone have a better plan before I go and do this? 

On 9/16/2018 at 8:54 AM, Justin Dodson said:

Good point. Which products do you think are best for this piece? I know what black washing is but I've never done it before.

I use some cheap flat black acrylic from walmart. One part paint to roughly 10-11 parts water works wonders for me. If it's too thin, go over it again. That's what I did here on the grille, and that was only 2 coats

2.JPG

On 9/17/2018 at 8:49 PM, THORDOOR220 said:

I use some cheap flat black acrylic from walmart. One part paint to roughly 10-11 parts water works wonders for me. If it's too thin, go over it again. That's what I did here on the grille, and that was only 2 coats

2.JPG

I don't understand. What do you mean by "paint to roughly 10-11"? How do you know how much water and how much paint to mix with each other? 

3 hours ago, Justin Dodson said:

I don't understand. What do you mean by "paint to roughly 10-11"? How do you know how much water and how much paint to mix with each other? 

Like Belugawrx said, 1 part paint to 10 or 11 parts water. So I get a little container of water, and then I have a little 3D printed cup that's empty. One drop of paint on my brush, put that in the cup. Then dip the brush into water and mix with the paint. Repeat the water 10-11 times

...... Or you  could use a syringe with 1cc increments.... 1cc of paint and 10cc's of water... Then mix it in a bottle with a couple of BB's in there to shake it up..... You'll have enough to do a bunch of kits in the future....

Edited by Deuces

9 hours ago, Deuces said:

...... Or you  could use a syringe with 1cc increments.... 1cc of paint and 10cc's of water... Then mix it in a bottle with a couple of BB's in there to shake it up..... You'll have enough to do a bunch of kits in the future....

Hadn't thought of that. Good idea

Another option regarding the grilles on the bumper / lower-valance part : carefully sand-away the backside of the grilles' sections until the recesses are gone . That's the most realistic way to 'correct' any , for instance , grille .
Yes , there are exceptions ; but , for the most part , the elimination of that 'backing' is the way to go .

Keep-up the great work !

On 9/23/2018 at 12:40 PM, 1972coronet said:

Another option regarding the grilles on the bumper / lower-valance part : carefully sand-away the backside of the grilles' sections until the recesses are gone . That's the most realistic way to 'correct' any , for instance , grille .
Yes , there are exceptions ; but , for the most part , the elimination of that 'backing' is the way to go .

Keep-up the great work !

I feel like that would take a month of Sundays, and leave a very fragile part, but that might actually be worth trying one of these days. Now you've got me thinking....

Alright, back to your regularly scheduled program, I'll stop hijacking lol

Hey everyone. Sorry for not responding to these replies sooner, I have been busy with school. I have read all of your suggestions, and honestly they all seem like they would work great. Now I just have to decide on which idea to utilize. :unsure:

More progress soon, I'll probably post an update in less than a few hours.

• 1 month later...

Okay so here is some progress... I decided that the interior was not detailed enough. I detailed the dash, door panels, etc. with my Molotow chrome pens. I love these pens! I'm currently working on the steering wheel, I'm giving it a "wooden" rim. Anyway here are some pics of the dashboard and interior piece:5be6e63d3f3ce_MCM-Post13(1).thumb.JPG.4c0efee58d60f3892edaed622c46190f.JPG5be6e656a61b2_MCM-Post13(3).thumb.JPG.3eb6f74261f26641a142896c7275cb50.JPG

Stay tuned!!

• 1 month later...

Thanks everyone, and happy holidays! 

I might have some more progress soon involving chassis work for this car. Stay tuned! 

On 11/11/2018 at 12:07 PM, THORDOOR220 said:

Looks good! Just out of curiosity, are those pens like regular chrome paint where it turns grey if you touch it too much?

I'm pretty sure I know what you're talking about, and my answer is no. I have had only a little experience with these pens though, so don't quote me on it lol! 

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 9:36 AM, Justin Dodson said:

Okay so I tried using the Molotow chrome pens on the front bumper/grille. But it would not get into the deep parts (the white areas) of the grille as shown below. MCM-Post12.thumb.JPG.4d3e672ae86ef72ac56e47486c87a53a.JPGSo here's my plan: remove all of the chrome so that it's bare plastic again, and spray paint the entire piece black. Once the black paint is dry, carefully apply the chrome pen onto the outermost lines. That way, the black will represent the "darkness" behind the grille.  
Does anyone have a better plan before I go and do this? 

In my experience, most of these cars did not have chrome grilles, including the '69 I owned.  you can just paint the grilles black, and chrome the bumper and the surrounds.  

edit: see attached photo for referencecorvette5.jpg.e65a689a639f7fca47610c5f41c83630.jpg

Edited by JJ Deuce
added reference photo