Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT '77 Ford Cruising Van

Casey

This only makes sense. With the Dirty Donny "Phantom" Van out there, going back to the same well again with different Box Art, Decals, (and hopefully some of the 'missing' custom parts, back in the kit.) plus the Pad Printed tires, should generate some more sales. If this goes well, maybe we'll see the Six-Wheel Van and it's mini-bike back someday.

1 hour ago, alexis said:

This only makes sense. With the Dirty Donny "Phantom" Van out there, going back to the same well again with different Box Art, Decals, (and hopefully some of the 'missing' custom parts, back in the kit.) plus the Pad Printed tires, should generate some more sales. If this goes well, maybe we'll see the Six-Wheel Van and it's mini-bike back someday.

Got this off e-bay several years ago. Wheels from the 69 Torino kit. Would get another if they reissued it.

SAM_0497.JPG

SAM_0498.JPG

The one in Casey's original post is the "stock only" version with the only options of the porthole windows and a CB radio.  Those stripes are a factory option. 

The only thing missing from the "Fantom" reissue to make that exact van are the hubcaps [Fantom has the flat stock hubcaps in it though] and the decals.

Related image

16 minutes ago, Renegade said:

Got this off e-bay several years ago. Wheels from the 69 Torino kit. Would get another if they reissued it.

SAM_0497.JPG

SAM_0498.JPG

Same wheels I'm using on mine.

I wanted to replicate the van I built back in the early '80s with those decals and the optional chrome wheels from the AMT '79 Bronco. Those wheels are the closest I have to the Bronco wheels so that's what I'm using. , , , Only 4 of them though, not 6 ;)

It is my considered opinion, that Round2 could really sell these Ford (and Chevy) vans, by digging up as many extra parts from the tool as possible. For these Fords that would be all the xtra grills, bumpers, and accessories, that were in the kits in the 70's. They are only about 4 of each, and no more than 2 or 3 types of Wheels, Bumpers and wings. AMT just mixed the parts in different ways in different boxings, with a Zippy Name and Matching decals for each version.  I'd really like to see the Sun Dome and base from the "Matilda" kit come back. Talk about "Vannin' with Style"! The Mix&Match nature of the Van kits, made it easy to change versions. Given the Higher Cost today, and the more Adult Driven nature of the market now, I'd like to thank that a 3'n'1 Kit with a goodly number of optional parts in the box, might get more modelers to plunk down the dollar's on what is essentially a pretty bare-bones kit.

On 7/16/2018 at 5:00 PM, alexis said:

It is my considered opinion, that Round2 could really sell these Ford (and Chevy) vans, by digging up as many extra parts from the tool as possible. For these Fords that would be all the xtra grills, bumpers, and accessories, that were in the kits in the 70's. They are only about 4 of each, and no more than 2 or 3 types of Wheels, Bumpers and wings. AMT just mixed the parts in different ways in different boxings, with a Zippy Name and Matching decals for each version.  I'd really like to see the Sun Dome and base from the "Matilda" kit come back. Talk about "Vannin' with Style"! The Mix&Match nature of the Van kits, made it easy to change versions. Given the Higher Cost today, and the more Adult Driven nature of the market now, I'd like to thank that a 3'n'1 Kit with a goodly number of optional parts in the box, might get more modelers to plunk down the dollar's on what is essentially a pretty bare-bones kit.

First , I'll second Alan's idea . Second , I was an accessory manufacturer in Houston when this van was new and people were always dropping by my place with new ideas of parts they wanted . A good many ideas really DID make into production too ! I liked being innovative because Houston was sort of it's own market for vans . One could spot an East coast van as they would an LA van .

One more thing Cruisin van people . Ford NEVER offered that van with the slide side door .

On 7/10/2018 at 12:39 PM, Can-Con said:

Same wheels I'm using on mine.

I wanted to replicate the van I built back in the early '80s with those decals and the optional chrome wheels from the AMT '79 Bronco. Those wheels are the closest I have to the Bronco wheels so that's what I'm using. , , , Only 4 of them though, not 6 ;)

Always wondered what the 6 wheel custom kit looked like built up..that's neat.  Never seen one other than box art photos.

On 7/10/2018 at 12:36 PM, Can-Con said:

The one in Casey's original post is the "stock only" version with the only options of the porthole windows and a CB radio.  Those stripes are a factory option. 

The only thing missing from the "Fantom" reissue to make that exact van are the hubcaps [Fantom has the flat stock hubcaps in it though] and the decals.

Related image

The Cruising Van also comes with the roof rack, porthole windows and the spare tire for the rear door.

Edited by crowe-t

• 3 weeks later...

Iam glad they bringing it out, I wish they would bring the all back out, even the 1/16 scale BIG BAD Van, vans in real life are going crazy again, go to facebook and type vans, theres tons of van groups on there, they just had the nationals in rensoler Indiana a few weeks ago, so come on and reissue them please.

• 4 weeks later...

Since I see no Flares, Spoilers, Side Pipes, or Optional Grills, I wonder exactly why, I should be excited by this.  Come On, Round2, give us all the optional parts, tooled for these Ford Vans in one box. It is not like there are as many as there are for the Chevy Vans. I'll pay more for it. This hitting bunts instead of line drives, or homers, is getting sad.

2 hours ago, alexis said:

Since I see no Flares, Spoilers, Side Pipes, or Optional Grills, I wonder exactly why, I should be excited by this.  Come On, Round2, give us all the optional parts, tooled for these Ford Vans in one box. It is not like there are as many as there are for the Chevy Vans. I'll pay more for it. This hitting bunts instead of line drives, or homers, is getting sad.

I get what you're saying, but at the same time they're reissuing a specific kit, and that kit didn't have all those parts in 1977, so it's not going to now either.

As for getting excited about a 41 year old van kit, I can't see how anyone would be, but it'll float someone's goat I'm sure.

Round 2 should also include the aluminum slot wheels and a better set of side view mirrors.  The kit's mirrors are not very good.  I've seen ads and pictures of the Ford Cruising vans and they all seem to have the 2 side opening doors and not the sliding door. Maybe the sliding door was an option on the 1:1 but I've never seen one of these with a sliding door.

4976365434_af9de6e215_o.jpg

5659710409_eba540c041_o.jpg

Edited by crowe-t