Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 MPC 904 '57 Chevy Flip Nose

Casey

11 hours ago, Toner283 said:

I think what he means is that the same prop vehicle was used in two-lane blacktop as well.

Yea, I thought that was pretty well common knowledge by now.

,, Al least in our circle.

Edited by Can-Con

1 hour ago, Can-Con said:

Yea, I thought that was pretty well common knowledge by now.

,, Al least in our circle.

Correct me, if I am wrong, American Graffitti was after two lane blacktop. 55s were used but not built for AG. There were 3 but one was destroyed after AG.

Funny how different the two cars are when you start looking.  That's Hollywood for you I guess.  There is a great American Graffiti website with a whole list of bloopers.  I don't recall hearing about this one before. Still my favourite movie of all time.

10 hours ago, Sledsel said:

I love watching Ebay prices drop like rocks........ although, some sellers will not come off high prices even for a current kit. Oh well....

I'm guessing that these sellers just have their auctions set up to keep relisting when the item doesn't sell, and aren't good about going through their inventory to alter prices for items that don't sell. they just leave it on auto-pilot.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is an old MPC/Ertl issue that I originally built as  Pro Street in 1990, then redid the chassis almost 10 years ago. I added the rear wheel wells from the AMT 57 to it. And when I went gasser in 2009 I trimmed away the bumper and grille. A little FYI about this kit is that it shares the tool with the 53 Ford Flip-Nose pickup. In fact, that's what I sourced the replacement frame from.

image.png.e3a08fd9cdb9ac13fc27b48572d1f67a.png

image.png.37fcf9c6aa09ad1ed97362706cb0f1f0.png

image.png.b8a44a140a3c3da32e5bf963e2012c98.png

image.png

9 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

This is an old MPC/Ertl issue that I originally built as  Pro Street in 1990, then redid the chassis almost 10 years ago. I added the rear wheel wells from the AMT 57 to it. And when I went gasser in 2009 I trimmed away the bumper and grille. A little FYI about this kit is that it shares the tool with the 53 Ford Flip-Nose pickup. In fact, that's what I sourced the replacement frame from.

image.png.e3a08fd9cdb9ac13fc27b48572d1f67a.png

image.png.37fcf9c6aa09ad1ed97362706cb0f1f0.png

image.png.b8a44a140a3c3da32e5bf963e2012c98.png

image.png

Dave....nicely done!  Those fixed rear quarters do a great job of showing this kit for its true potential.   Also, looking at the slightly nose up front stance and the front suspension, looks like you did some serious kitbashing there...….are those the springs from the AMT '37 Chevy Gasser version and a straight tube axle from aluminum tubing?  Whatever it is, it really adds to the overall impact.....TIM  

• 1 month later...
On 7/14/2018 at 3:54 PM, 57peppershaker said:

Shame they didn't use the later box art, with what's actually inside the box.

What's included and different from what's shown on the box art?

Edited by Casey

5 hours ago, Casey said:

What's included and different from what's shown on the box art?

Wheels and tires are completely different. Kit has the wire style wheels from the last MPC issue (red car with grey stripes, issued after the Rockin Roller) and the fat treaded goodyear(?) Tires, not the slicks shown. Also has the Mr. Gasket style street scoop on the two fours, not the gasser style scoop shown on the box art. I believe the hood has the opening all the way to the back to clear the bigger scoop as well, not the closed at the back part shown on the box art.

59 minutes ago, Toner283 said:

Wheels and tires are completely different. Kit has the wire style wheels from the last MPC issue (red car with grey stripes, issued after the Rockin Roller) and the fat treaded goodyear(?) Tires, not the slicks shown. Also has the Mr. Gasket style street scoop on the two fours, not the gasser style scoop shown on the box art. I believe the hood has the opening all the way to the back to clear the bigger scoop as well, not the closed at the back part shown on the box art.

That was how the Model King re-release was- many differences from the box art (which is from the original issue).

^^ this post was getting my hopes up for something more like the original issue than the Model King one.

2 hours ago, Mr mopar said:

this kit will have tinted glass and clear about time !

One of the MPC issues in the Eighties had smoke gray tinted glass.  The glass is the only clear in this kit; the headlight lenses are molded with the plated bezels.

4 hours ago, Mark said:

One of the MPC issues in the Eighties had smoke gray tinted glass.  The glass is the only clear in this kit; the headlight lenses are molded with the plated bezels.

this reissues will have clear and color tinted glass ,have a look at that Round2 new video it show it on the bottom of the box !!