Model Cars Magazine Forum

Isdera Imperator.....98% scratch build!

Dann Tier

Hi, everyone!! I decided that I cant wait any longer to see if this car will ever be kitted, so I've decided to TOTALLY make it myself.  I'm pretty sure that the majority of people out there haven't even heard of it before, but its a very unique automobile, powered by Mercedes. Its kinda like the C111 concept, but waaaaay cooler!!

tumblr_l7z135PJCf1qzce2do1_1280.jpg

1984_Isdera_Imperator108i2.jpg

a25ea5f26be27b049525c85c84f10c4c--black-cars-super-car.jpg

Isdera_Imperator_108i_(Mercedes-Benz_C311)_1984-1993_(1991-1993)_(01)_-CA2-.jpg

Here I'm on it. I had the luck to meet the founder Mr. Schulz of Isdera approx. 13-14 years ago in Leonberg including a visit in his plant. At this time, he worked on the prototype "Autobahnkurier 116i". this car has to v8 behind installed. Great. And when you take a better look to the body, you'll notice the doors on the good old beetle. Indead, the body is based on it because of the styling of the roof. He took a oval beetle body. But wider and "a little" changed. A huge car.

It was amazing and very interesting. Mr. Schulz is a very nice guy and we heard a lot of the company, projects and so on. Why we (my brother and I) met him? He sold a white Porsche  911 (G-model) where we were interested in.

Edited by christian-w

4 hours ago, shaunmza said:

I have been looking over photo's of this too recently, as well as the C111 thinking how much work they would take.

Well, the C111 at least doesn't need a full scratchbuild:

10038872p.jpg

Still for sale for about $15. It's a starting point, being an old, formerly motorized kit, but you'd have make a choice of engine anyway...

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10038872

best,

M.

6 hours ago, Matt Bacon said:

10038872p.jpg

Still for sale for about $15. It's a starting point, being an old, formerly motorized kit, but you'd have make a choice of engine anyway...

best,

M.

Shucks, I think I have seen the image of this kit before, I wonder if its what got me onto the C111?

Going to add it to my wish list, thanks!

I have loved the Isdera Imperator  108i  since I was a teenager and saw it in a Road and Track article around 1987.  My car buddies usually had no idea what I was talking about and I bragged about knowing more than them about cars :)

I'll be following this project.

19 hours ago, christian-w said:

Here I'm on it. I had the luck to meet the founder Mr. Schulz of Isdera approx. 13-14 years ago in Leonberg including a visit in his plant. At this time, he worked on the prototype "Autobahnkurier 116i". this car has to v8 behind installed. Great. And when you take a better look to the body, you'll notice the doors on the good old beetle. Indead, the body is based on it because of the styling of the roof. He took a oval beetle body. But wider and "a little" changed. A huge car.

It was amazing and very interesting. Mr. Schulz is a very nice guy and we heard a lot of the company, projects and so on. Why we (my brother and I) met him? He sold a white Porsche  911 (G-model) where we were interested in.

That's a great story, Christian!...Welcome!

12 hours ago, Matt Bacon said:

10038872p.jpg

best,

M.

Thanks, Matt, but I will be doing it all with styrene and Milliput!

2 hours ago, ismaelg said:

I have loved the Isdera Imperator  108i  since I was a teenager and saw it in a Road and Track article around 1987.  My car buddies usually had no idea what I was talking about and I bragged about knowing more than them about cars :)

I'll be following this project.

That's funny, Ismael!...enjoy!!

I think i'm gonna have to change the title of this build to; "MOSTLY scratchbuilt…..", since I found some kit parts that are perfect. When looking at the photos of one of the interiors, I noticed that the seats looked VERY familiar.....and they were!....they are exactly the same ones out of my Tamiya Porsche 911 kit!! Also strangely enough, I found that my spare set of Lotus Sport 300 wheels are almost a perfect match for a set that I saw on one in photos!  Lastly; the tyres shown in the first photo are Pirrelli PZeros…….I got the right size ones from one of my spare Tamiya Ferrari Mythos kits!!!...things seem to be falling in line, and if it goes as well as I plan, maybe I can find somewhere that will make all the parts in resin......if theres  people who want one.

DSCF6080.JPG

• Dann Tier changed the title to Isdera Imperator.....98% scratch build!