Model Cars Magazine Forum

Isdera Imperator.....98% scratch build!

Dann Tier

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 26.8.2018 at 6:37 AM, 89AKurt said:

I knew about this, as well as the previous version developed by a tuner house named "bb".  

Kurt, you are right about this. In the early 80‘s there was a German/Swiss movie called „Car Napping“. It featured several cars by bb, also the (first?) Imperator. See this trailer, Isdera appearing at 0:37 minutes:

33 minutes ago, Tommy124 said:

Kurt, you are right about this. In the early 80‘s there was a German/Swiss movie called „Car Napping“. It featured several cars by bb, also the (first?) Imperator. See this trailer, Isdera appearing at 0:37 minutes:

WOW, Tommy!!….i'm gonna have to get this movie!!!, thanks for posting it!!

• Dann Tier changed the title to Isdera Imperator.....98% scratch build!
  • 4 weeks later...

Interesting build Dann, love the original so I'm looking forward to more on this !

Just an idea, have you seen some of the pro mod builders on here, they use a jig with bits to hold various things in place.

Getting the wheels/axles in place, the engine at the correct height/position etc.  Thought it might be a good idea for this, to keep things from moving about ?

20 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

hey, everyone!, just wanted you to know that I have started work on this one again!....

Hey Dann - excellent idea.  I have known about this car since it first came out (and the Panther 6 too) and thought it was one of the coolest ever built.  I have the Road&Track issues still.  It has been on my wish list since then.

I definitely will be watching this one and sign me up for one of those resin kits!

Edited by djflyer

22 hours ago, djflyer said:

Hey Dann - excellent idea.  I have known about this car since it first came out (and the Panther 6 too) and thought it was one of the coolest ever built.  I have the Road&Track issues still.  It has been on my wish list since then.

I definitely will be watching this one and sign me up for one of those resin kits!

Thanks, David!...i'm back at it again!!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello and greetings from Germany.

While searching for a blueprint of the isdera imperator 108i I found this thread. Amazing to see somebody else, who wants to have a 1/24 model of the imperator.

When I was a teenager (35 years ago) I wrote a letter to Tamiya, if they could do a kit. They answered to do so, if the imperator is build in larger numbers. That never happened, so I decided to build a kit myself. After drawing the blueprint (there was no internet in 1993) I started to build a cardboard model to figure out the proportions. Then I bought a Mercedes 500 SEC "Lorinser" Kit from Tamiya to carry over the engine, gearbox and seats. I made molds and did die-cast parts for these items. Then I drawed the dashboard and isdera logos on my Atari ST. After that, I started to build a master model from wood, so I could do a mold for the body.

Unfortunately there where life-changing moments and the project stopped. But I never forgot about it and decided to start it again more than 20 years later. As I now have access to 3D-printing, I will try to shape the body with a 3D modeling program. 

Due to a relocation recently, my already existing parts for the isdera are buried somewhere in a moving box. As soon as they appear, I will do some pictures.

So maybe I finally will have a isdera model in another 20 years? Honestly I would be happy to have it ready in 5 years. Hope you will be quicker!

Best regards,

Erich

On 2/16/2020 at 3:11 PM, capricorn71 said:

Hello and greetings from Germany.

While searching for a blueprint of the isdera imperator 108i I found this thread. Amazing to see somebody else, who wants to have a 1/24 model of the imperator.

When I was a teenager (35 years ago) I wrote a letter to Tamiya, if they could do a kit. They answered to do so, if the imperator is build in larger numbers. That never happened, so I decided to build a kit myself. After drawing the blueprint (there was no internet in 1993) I started to build a cardboard model to figure out the proportions. Then I bought a Mercedes 500 SEC "Lorinser" Kit from Tamiya to carry over the engine, gearbox and seats. I made molds and did die-cast parts for these items. Then I drawed the dashboard and isdera logos on my Atari ST. After that, I started to build a master model from wood, so I could do a mold for the body.

Unfortunately there where life-changing moments and the project stopped. But I never forgot about it and decided to start it again more than 20 years later. As I now have access to 3D-printing, I will try to shape the body with a 3D modeling program. 

Due to a relocation recently, my already existing parts for the isdera are buried somewhere in a moving box. As soon as they appear, I will do some pictures.

So maybe I finally will have a isdera model in another 20 years? Honestly I would be happy to have it ready in 5 years. Hope you will be quicker!

Best regards,

Erich

Wow, Erich!, thats quite a story!...yes, i will be doing more of this shortly, but i prefer the old fashion way of doing it, lol.....i'd love to follow your build!...hope to see you at it again soon!!

• 2 weeks later...

So here are some pictures of the cardboard model. Unfortunately taken then with a Motorola RazrV3, so not that high quality.

The 3D-Modeling is ongoing, it´s quiet difficult to find appropriate pictures of the side, front, back and top view. So it ´s a lot of try and error.

CW311_cardboard_1.jpg

CW311_cardboard_2.jpg

CW311_cardboard_3.jpg

CW311_cardboard_4.jpg

CW311_cardboard_5.jpg

CW311_cardboard_6.jpg