Model Cars Magazine Forum

3d printed wire wheels

That's incredible! I want  those.

Can you design wire wheel hubcaps? Like the ones on 70s and 80s luxury cars. Nobody makes anything like that, and I'm looking to build an 80s Regal and Monte Carlo. 

80-81-83-84-85-86-87-buick-regal-century-hubcap-rim-wheel-cover-14-wire-1084b-4.jpeg.c7a1781959eb9cafa0c13cc4afcc3120.jpeg

5b48b0de963a6_001(1).jpg.77fad99aa65003fc5470c00b0f1fdc0b.jpg

Similar to wire wheels, but more shallow. Basically spokes with no offset. 

Amazing! They look absolutely fabulous.

Can you do smaller sizes? 18"s are too big for the classics I'd need them for, which are 15" or 16" at most...

...and I don't suppose you'd consider making up some of the unique Campagnolo's for this:

1967_alfa_romeo_33_stradale.jpg

In 1/16th scale? There'd be quite a few of us out there with the otherwise rather nice Fujimi kit who'd buy a set!

All the best,

Matt

11 hours ago, Pico said:

Download Fusion 360 - free for hobbyists - learn it, and you can make anything. Youtube has many videos and Udemy has courses, many are free: https://www.udemy.com/courses/search/?ref=home&src=ukw&q=Fusion 360 .

I second this. I used Blender for all of my modeling, because it's what a friend of mine recommended and I'm now used to it. I've tried Fusion 360, and it's a very more professional feel. I will be learning to use it eventually. It's far more precise (or seems to be anyways) and, from what I've heard, is extremely easy to use. I've seen people make some outstanding things with this.

9 hours ago, THORDOOR220 said:

I second this. I used Blender for all of my modeling, because it's what a friend of mine recommended and I'm now used to it. I've tried Fusion 360, and it's a very more professional feel. I will be learning to use it eventually. It's far more precise (or seems to be anyways) and, from what I've heard, is extremely easy to use. I've seen people make some outstanding things with this.

I have used Sketchup for about 9 years now and am sorry I am so good at it, because I look at the F360 videos and think "That would be sooooo much easier than what I do now!"  But learning another software is a lot of work. I will eventually learn it, but I suggest learning F360 first. It's a professional software that you can get a job with and build your career on. And Bill isn't showing the best thing he's making with it. I think he's refining it. I'll let him unveil it when he's satisfied with it.

On 7/13/2018 at 4:20 PM, Spex84 said:

That's a beautiful wheel! I'm surprised Shapeways allows it to be printed with such thin spokes. I'm guessing the wheel in the lead photo has received quite a bit of cleanup, right?

Here are a set of four just as they came out of the box from Shapeways.  A good washing is all that's really necessary.

IMG_20180713_125402.jpg

On 7/12/2018 at 6:38 PM, Bilingham said:

Although I do most of my own printing, really detailed items like this go to Shapeways.  Search "Bilingham Design" to see all my stuff

IMG_20180706_162843.jpg

IMG_20180706_162636.jpg

This set of Borrani style wheels are 1/24 scale 16" diameter for use on cars like the 250 GTO and TR.

On 7/13/2018 at 10:19 AM, Matt Bacon said:

Amazing! They look absolutely fabulous.

Can you do smaller sizes? 18"s are too big for the classics I'd need them for, which are 15" or 16" at most...

...and I don't suppose you'd consider making up some of the unique Campagnolo's for this:

1967_alfa_romeo_33_stradale.jpg

In 1/16th scale? There'd be quite a few of us out there with the otherwise rather nice Fujimi kit who'd buy a set!

All the best,

Matt

Post a picture of what your looking for.

Very cool wire wheels. I would really like to have some of the old Kelsey-Hayes type that came on numerous American cars from the late '40's through the mid-'60's. There are a lot of kits that would benefit from some of those factory optional Kelsey-Hayes wires.

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 10:05 AM, Oldcarfan27 said:

That's incredible! I want  those.

Can you design wire wheel hubcaps? Like the ones on 70s and 80s luxury cars. Nobody makes anything like that, and I'm looking to build an 80s Regal and Monte Carlo. 

80-81-83-84-85-86-87-buick-regal-century-hubcap-rim-wheel-cover-14-wire-1084b-4.jpeg.c7a1781959eb9cafa0c13cc4afcc3120.jpeg

5b48b0de963a6_001(1).jpg.77fad99aa65003fc5470c00b0f1fdc0b.jpg

Similar to wire wheels, but more shallow. Basically spokes with no offset. 

Missing Link resin has those wheel covers. I have some for an 80 Monte Carlo Build.