Model Cars Magazine Forum

Is Model Cars Magazine still in production?l

Has the magazine ceased production since two years ago? Lost track since delivery schedules started to go out and  my copies stopped coming. The magazine has never been available off the shelf in UK retail outlets so cannot gauge what is happening by that aspect.

The last issue was #205 and I got that back in April, nothing since then.
I have renewed my subscription a while ago as it was about to expire soon and I wanted to be on the safe side.
I don't know how well spread the magazine is now, subscribers get their magazines but I don't know how it is with hobby shops and magazine shops, I have never seen the magazine here in Sweden and I got my first copys in the US around 10 years ago and started a subscription soon after.
So as far as I know the magazine is still in production but it's very slow.

I've finally given up on car modeling magazines and ordered 2 more regular car mags - Car Craft and Hot Rod. MCM having trouble getting issues out and the changing of the guard at the other car model mag have kind of dampened my spirits towards them. The "other" mag seems to be slowly diverting it's attention to diecast and foreign & exotic plastic kit building.

While there is nothing wrong with collecting diecast, I don't see how it really fits into a 'modeling' magazine suitable for all readers. The same holds true for exotics and foreign plastic kits. I enjoy seeing the completed builds from all the guys that build them, it's just not for me and I don't think it's yet a majority of what guys build. There are still way too many if us old dogs that build and enjoy good, old street rods, factory stocks, hot rods, and muscle cars.

Don't musunderstand and go into attack mode. I'm not insisting that every article, and every build showcased, should be a U.S. factory stock, rod, or muscle car. A magazine SHOULD be able to present articles and photos of ALL the various model car genres and each should take center stage at various times. 

OK. Enough of that. Just venting. You mods can nix this post if it ignites a chit storm.

• 2 weeks later...

Had some interesting replies but no definitive answer to my question 'Is the magazine still going?'

The forum is as always quite lively however, and long may it remain so as I have seen a lot of model magazines come and go over the years.

Edited by Bugatti Fan

13 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Had some interesting replies but no definitive answer to my question 'Is the magazine still going?'

The forum is as always quite lovely however, and long may it remain so as I have seen a lot of model magazines come and go over the years.

The one to answer your question would be Gregg himself, as he is the keeper of the magazine and this forum. It is best to email him directly.

2 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

The one to answer your question would be Gregg himself, as he is the keeper of the magazine and this forum. It is best to email him directly.

I know that is the correct answer and that Gregg IS the only person with an answer to this question. Two and a half years ago I sent questions to him via email and received fairly prompt replies. I sent two emails to him 5 or 6 months ago and never received a reply. 

I'm not going to hazard a guess as to the exact path MCM magazine is on, but being unable to fund the publishing of a mag using existing subscription and advertising income doesn't bode well for the future of that mag. It's a direct result of the Internet and I, for one, hate to see it. I spent 30 plus years looking at computer screens for a living. I really don't, and usually won't, read online magazines. I much prefer a printed version where I can settle into my recliner and relax an evening away. The other printed magazine appears to now be headed in a direction not compatible with my interests so I no longer subscribe to it.

What I chose to do instead of subscribing to modeling magazines is to subscribe to a few of the 1:1 car mags that cover and feature 1:1 cars I can glean ideas from. Then for help and tips on modeling I turn to the forums and a small group of old and seasoned builders I communicate with via email. It just made more sense to do that than to spend money on a magazine that doesn't publish on a regular schedule, and another one that now features cars that are of little to no interest to me.

That's just my 2 cents worth. Not intended to upset or irritate anyone. Take it for what it's worth to yourself. No harm meant.

2 hours ago, smhardesty said:

I know that is the correct answer and that Gregg IS the only person with an answer to this question. Two and a half years ago I sent questions to him via email and received fairly prompt replies. I sent two emails to him 5 or 6 months ago and never received a reply. 

I'm not going to hazard a guess as to the exact path MCM magazine is on, but being unable to fund the publishing of a mag using existing subscription and advertising income doesn't bode well for the future of that mag. It's a direct result of the Internet and I, for one, hate to see it. I spent 30 plus years looking at computer screens for a living. I really don't, and usually won't, read online magazines. I much prefer a printed version where I can settle into my recliner and relax an evening away. The other printed magazine appears to now be headed in a direction not compatible with my interests so I no longer subscribe to it.

What I chose to do instead of subscribing to modeling magazines is to subscribe to a few of the 1:1 car mags that cover and feature 1:1 cars I can glean ideas from. Then for help and tips on modeling I turn to the forums and a small group of old and seasoned builders I communicate with via email. It just made more sense to do that than to spend money on a magazine that doesn't publish on a regular schedule, and another one that now features cars that are of little to no interest to me.

That's just my 2 cents worth. Not intended to upset or irritate anyone. Take it for what it's worth to yourself. No harm meant.

Steve , if ya make it to the Virginia , N Carolina border , look me up as I owes ya a lunch for this one !

3 minutes ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Sounds like it may have folded, but no one has given  me a definitive answer yet. Can somebody confirm the plight of the magazine?

All of us are as clueless as you on this issue. Perhaps our moderators and system admin might know something, but odds are they will not give answers without Greggs say-so. For whatever reason you don't want to contact Gregg directly, that is your only option.

Thanks for your reply Rob. I expect it will all unfold in due course. I do not know i if the moderators have to answer to Gregg H or not as this forum has been running since  the Golden Bell Publishing days. Hopefully the forum should have some autonomy. If the magazine goes down the pan then the moderators may have to keep the forum going independently and perhaps have to 'rename it slightly. Who knows what will happen as both are going through uncharted waters at present.

9 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Thanks for your reply Rob. I expect it will all unfold in due course. I do not know i if the moderators have to answer to Gregg H or not as this forum has been running since  the Golden Bell Publishing days. Hopefully the forum should have some autonomy. If the magazine goes down the pan then the moderators may have to keep the forum going independently and perhaps have to 'rename it slightly. Who knows what will happen as both are going through uncharted waters at present.

AFAIK, the magazine and forum have always been Gregg's and Golden Bell only did the publishing and distribution of the magazine. Whether the magazine goes on or not, the forum is run somewhat separately.

If you weren't familiar with the history of MCM and Gregg, some searching here should yield some reading material for you.

6 minutes ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Mike, thanks for your reply as I was given to understand that Gregg was an employee of Golden Bell and bought the magazine title when Golden Bell closed their doors and decided to go it alone?

Gregg bought the magazine back when it had a different title, at some point after his accident he sold it to Golden Bell and was paid a fee to produce the content (more of a contractor than employee). When Golden Bell closed he than had to repurchase it, and that's where we stand today with a terribly underfunded operation that has a worse publication schedule than when it was published by GB based on submitted content. Of course a lot of what kept MCM afloat in the GB days was the tireless work of the actual editors, especially Harry in getting stuff done.

This forum however has always been owned by Gregg separately from any control of the magazine itself regardless to the ownership. 

Thanks for the info James. I sort of had the impression that Mr. Ambrose was the chief moderator and  king pin of the forum as it appears that he has to do all the donkey work when it comes to the IT problem sorting on it when ever it happens! Not sure if he does it for love or money as it is quite a big forum site to look after. If the magazine goes, what will happen to the forum if Gregg is sole owner of both entities?

7 minutes ago, russosborne said:

For both of your questions, the only one with the real answer would be Gregg.

Since you don't seem to be willing to contact him, all you will get is speculation here.

Russ

Gregg really should post a status update here.... he hasn't posted any update about the magazine in months. 

I felt like Harry was the was the glue that held this forum and the magazine together and after his passing last year, things changed dramatically and not for the best. Gregg's back issues (no magazine pun intended) have long been documented as contributing to the erratic publishing schedule and I think now that Harry is gone, along with having to find another publisher, Gregg is simply overwhelmed with all that goes into getting the magazine printed. Add in the high cost and most of us would have quit a long time ago. 

• Xingu locked this topic