Model Cars Magazine Forum

1967 Camaro Wheel Covers from Fireball Modelworks

OK Camaro fans! Tired of always seeing Camaros done in the ever present Rally Wheels? Check out these never seen before wheel covers from Chief Joseph!

P1016357.thumb.jpg.a5a0a0032df02430dc1d94fe662eaf1d.jpgP1016358.thumb.JPG.84707a33565be18db3c070d08619fbdf.JPGP1016359.thumb.JPG.ede66d543fce549f312465d9e5d2739a.JPG

Many kudos to Fireball Modelworks as I asked him in doing these a while back, and they look terrific! Now for those of us that want to do the "lesser" '67 Camaro versions, these wheel covers fill the bill! You'll have to get appropriate tires and whatnot to fit, but I'm sure many of us have TONS of tires in our parts box to deal with no?

Joseph's a GREAT guy to deal with and these showed up in my mailbox very quickly! Highly recommended for EXCELLENT service, and you won't be disappointed in anything you get from him! B)

And if you want '67 Camaro hubcaps, I think R & M of Maryland has them. I lent one from an AMT '67 Camaro to Brad many years ago, and I think most of his line ended up with R&M, unless he went back into business. 

What inspired me to ask Chief Joseph about making these was this.................

IMG_2750.thumb.JPG.c523c6f99b70d0f9eb842b50c751860b.JPGIMG_2755.thumb.JPG.3aa9d2c74c5856a82985821b052ea662.JPGIMG_2758.thumb.JPG.5320cde16d8d3d14e6b9a40a3a584c98.JPGIMG_2753.thumb.JPG.13eda7c2ffcc6216c2c15947ce9a8c6a.JPG

These pics were taken at last years LCBC show here in Lancaster County PA. The lady who owned the car said that she bought it brand new in '67, and specifically wanted those wheel covers instead of the Rally Wheels with redline tires.

Soooooo, this is definitely another future project, and gives me a reason to fix some of the Revell kit's foibles among other things. ;)

My head is hurting looking at Fireball's latest goodies. I haven't ordered these wheel covers yet, but I plan to. I have a lot of '67 Camaros I can build in my collection, including an original 67 rebuilder.

67CamaroSS4.jpg

I have an original SS Hood for it, and I need two front tires anyway. It should come apart easily. Even though this looks great, the latest Revell offerings are not too objectionable to me. I built one when it first came out, Revell1967CamaroSS396003_zps98369ef0.jpg

and I like it.

This my bear of a project,

MamaMeetingSept212013074_zps62ccd841.jpg

This is an original MPC 68 Camaro SS body, mounted on a Revell 69 Camaro SS Chassis. This thing has been a bear to work on. Fireball's 68/69 Camaro Wheel covers, or Dog Dishes on steelies may be the ticket for this one. And yes I have a 68 Interior for this one.

Chief Joseph @ FB Modelworks is head and shoulders above the others in all respects in every area he deems to tackle and produce for our hobbies.

The attention to detail and accuracy is exquisite, overall design/build plus cost per piece cannot be beaten.  While I have not personally purchased every item he produces what I have done I can say nothing but superlatives. I wish we had a hundred more like him.

27 minutes ago, DEL said:

Chief Joseph @ FB Modelworks is head and shoulders above the others in all respects in every area he deems to tackle and produce for our hobbies.

The attention to detail and accuracy is exquisite, overall design/build plus cost per piece cannot be beaten.  While I have not personally purchased every item he produces what I have done I can say nothing but superlatives. I wish we had a hundred more like him.

Agreed,

Everything Ive bought so far has been absolutely 100% top shelf quality

1 hour ago, socal76 said:

Bill, you should have requested the '67 Rally caps as they were a one year only design. Slightly different design and true Camaro fans (fanatics?) can tell you the differences.

True, but they're not especially rare these days, and can be found in the AMT and Revell '67 Chevelles, the AMT '67 Z/28, and the Revell '67 Corvette coupe. 

In real life, those caps were also used by Buick on the '67 GS 340 (with a Buick emblem in the center, of course). Maybe other Buicks too, but I can't recall ever seeing them on anything else. 

2 hours ago, socal76 said:

Bill, you should have requested the '67 Rally caps as they were a one year only design. Slightly different design and true Camaro fans (fanatics?) can tell you the differences.

Those rally wheels hadn't crossed my mind as they're oh so common on most Camaro builds I've seen. The differences you speak of seem to be the cap itself for '67 doesn't have the "ribs" like the '68 and up design. Also the lettering is a bit different on the cap from '67 to '68.

Chief Joseph's always up for ideas............you can drop him a line to see if they're in the works or if he's interested in making 'em. ;)

EDIT: I happen to have a pic on my hard disc of the '67 Pace Car with those wheels.........you can see the lack of ribs on the hub as opposed to the '68 and later ones.

sc0517-282947_12@2x.jpg.871e315b26de079d42fceaa3e9222398.jpg

Edited by MrObsessive

2 hours ago, socal76 said:

Snake, I thought the '67 Chevelles and Corvette used the '68 and on type of cap. I thought I had read an article that the Camaro Caps were unique. Maybe a bad memory lapse? But I could swear I read it!

No, all the '67 caps are the same, and they're flatter than the '68+ caps (and without the ribs mentioned above). 

Now what's really interesting is that in all the '67 Chevy showroom brochures, when the Rally Wheels are shown (often to illustrate "disc brakes"), the wheels themselves are black, not argent as commonly seen. I don't recall ever seeing a set of real black '67 Rally Wheels back in the day, and I don't think I've ever seen them on a restored car, either. Did Chevy change the spec on the color between the time the literature was shot/printed and intro time in September '66? I don't know. I've only ever seen black Rally Wheels on ONE real car, a '67 427 Vette coupe on Fast N Loud. It was a genuine survivor, almost a barn find (but in a little better shape) but hadn't been driven in many years. It had black wheels. Did it come with them, or had someone painted them black somewhere along the way? I have no idea, though the car seemed very original in just about every other area, IIRC. 

Chevrolet changed their center hub cap on the rally wheels between '67 and '68. The '67 hub cap, as Snake pointed out was a one year only issue and it was to announce that the vehicle was equipped with the new for '67 disc brake option which required the rally wheel option. The '68 hub cap is the one most commonly seen from then on and had a raised center on the hub cap. Another hub cap that is rarely seen was used on police cars. I don't believe it was ever offered to the general public but has become popular with many when retro fitting rally wheels. The hub cap is fairly flat with a small bowtie in the middle and one 360 degree circle around it. There is also reproduction hub caps in the after market that offer the "PD" type cap with the bowtie and another with no markings at all. That is the showroom stuff. I had a new '68 Chevrolet Bel Air with disc brakes and the 15 by 7 wheel. To me the center hub cap stuck out to far. I know a guy that had a '67 Camaro RS/SS and I was able to convince him he would be upgrading his '67 with the new '68 hub caps so he wanted to trade with me. We both were happy.  We must remember with a model it can be what ever we want to be.

Edited by espo

1 hour ago, espo said:

Chevrolet changed their center hub cap on the rally wheels between '67 and '68. The '67 hub cap, as Snake pointed out was a one year only issue and it was to announce that the vehicle was equipped with the new for '67 disc brake option which required the rally wheel option. The '68 hub cap is the one most commonly seen from then on and had a raised center on the hub cap. Another hub cap that is rarely seen was used on police cars. I don't believe it was ever offered to the general public but has become popular with many when retro fitting rally wheels. The hub cap is fairly flat with a small bowtie in the middle and one 360 degree circle around it. There is also reproduction hub caps in the after market that offer the "PD" type cap with the bowtie and another with no markings at all. That is the showroom stuff. I had a new '68 Chevrolet Bel Air with disc brakes and the 15 by 7 wheel. To me the center hub cap stuck out to far. I know a guy that had a '67 Camaro RS/SS and I was able to convince him he would be upgrading his '67 with the new '68 hub caps so he wanted to trade with me. We both were happy.  We must remember with a model it can be what ever we want to be.

I had a set of those Police Car center caps on my S-10 pickup back in the mid-90s. They were hard to come by and I spent a lot of time taking them off and on as they were easy to steal if someone wanted to. They definitely caught your eye if you knew what you were looking at.

The 68 and newer center caps are also sometimes referred to as "Derby Caps" as they sit a bit higher than the 67 disc brake caps.