Model Cars Magazine Forum

Twenty five bucks to cut a cake.?

NYLIBUD

My family went out to dinner last night for my brother's birthday.(8 of us)The dinner was ok,Greek.Anyway,we brought a cake for him.After dinner,the restaurant brought out the cake,and served us all slices.The cake was pretty good.Then we get the check.The restaurant had the nerve to charge us an extra $25 to cut,and serve the cake..I don't know,is it me,but has anyone ever heard of something so stupid as a restaurant charging someone to cut a cake?We could of cut it ourselves.My father obviously complained,but the owner refused to take the charge off the check.So now,will NEVER be going back there again.Im sorry,but that is absolutely ridiculous.. 

Here's a second vote on being ridiculous. Having run up a bill for a party of 8 for dinner SHOULD have exempted you from any frivolous charges like that. And the way I'm reading your post you bought the cake from the restaurant. Is that correct? So dinner for 8 plus purchasing the cake ABSOLUTELY should have exempted that asinine charge.

Ouch! Sorry to hear your family got stuck like that.

$25.00 might be a little out of line, but it can be expected that there would be a charge of some sort for cutting & serving a cake that was not purchased from their establishment.

If it were me, I would have brought the cake in and cut and served it myself after dinner was finished.

Or possibly have the cake at home later.

You might consider yourself lucky that they even let you bring in food from outside.

Some establishments will not.

Steve

Ahhhh:lol:.No we brought the cake into the restaurant.But we called the owner first to see if that was ok,and if there was any type of charge.The owner said,absolutely not,no charge,no problem..Then after an almost $200 bill,not including gratuity,the moron hits us up for cutting some stupid chocolate cake up into 8 slices.Even the waitress said that wasn't right.Ah but that's NY for ya,cheap money hungry idiots all over the place.

Never heard of such a thing....!   

50 minutes ago, NYLIBUD said:

My family went out to dinner last night for my brother's birthday.(8 of us)The dinner was ok,Greek.Anyway,we brought a cake for him.After dinner,the restaurant brought out the cake,and served us all slices.The cake was pretty good.Then we get the check.The restaurant had the nerve to charge us an extra $25 to cut,and serve the cake..I don't know,is it me,but has anyone ever heard of something so stupid as a restaurant charging someone to cut a cake?We could of cut it ourselves.My father obviously complained,but the owner refused to take the charge off the check.So now,will NEVER be going back there again.Im sorry,but that is absolutely ridiculous.. 

I agree and would not spend another dime in that place....;)

12 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

$25.00 might be a little out of line, but it can be expected that there would be a charge of some sort for cutting & serving a cake that was not purchased from their establishment.

If it were me, I would have brought the cake in and cut and served it myself after dinner was finished.

Or possibly have the cake at home later.

You might consider yourself lucky that they even let you bring in food from outside.

Some establishments will not.

Steve

Right,but we called first.Ah,never mind,who cares.It was a stupid post.Just annoys me how cheap people can be.

39 minutes ago, NYLIBUD said:

Right,but we called first.Ah,never mind,who cares.It was a stupid post.Just annoys me how cheap people can be.

I agree, that if you called first & the owner gave you the green light & assured you that there would be no additional charge, it wasn't right to charge you anything.

I would make it very clear to the owner that you were not happy, will not be coming back & will make certain that everyone you know will hear of the situation.

Give him a call & tell him that you will be telling all of your friends to stay away from his establishment & you may be surprised at how fast he turns around.

Nobody with an ounce of business sense wants people knocking his establishment.

If it's worth $25.00 to him to lose a bunch of business, so be it.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Think of it like a "Corkage Fee" just like when you bring your own bottle of Wine into a restaurant. But I have to agree the "Cake Cutting Fee" does seem a little to much after you have 8 for dinner. Must be a high class joint.  I wouldn't have left a tip.  

Bottom line: the customers were courteous and considerate and realistic enough to ask IN ADVANCE if there would be any charge. They were told "NO".

Any justification of the "value" received for the $25 in question IS ENTIRELY BESIDE THE POINT.

And not leaving a tip only hurts the server, who was apparently NOT responsible for the decision.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

On 7/14/2018 at 2:59 PM, NYLIBUD said:

Ahhhh:lol:.No we brought the cake into the restaurant.But we called the owner first to see if that was ok,and if there was any type of charge.The owner said,absolutely not,no charge,no problem..Then after an almost $200 bill,not including gratuity,the moron hits us up for cutting some stupid chocolate cake up into 8 slices.Even the waitress said that wasn't right.Ah but that's NY for ya,cheap money hungry idiots all over the place.

Pure insanity !!! and yet after a $200.00 bill

1 hour ago, crazyjim said:

A dinner bill of $200 for 8 people is pretty cheap.  No wonder the place charged an extra $25 for cutting and dishing the cake.

I was going to say. I wish I could find a good restaurant that can feed 8 for $200! Especially if there was wine involved.

I guess it all depends on the restaurant. I've heard of restaurants charging a fee for this kind of thing before, so I'm not surprised at all. As someone above said, it's like a corkage fee.

However, if you called ahead of time and asked specificially about a charge for the service and were told no, and then you got a charge for it? Entirely unacceptable. Unfortunately, google reviews are about your only recourse here.

3 hours ago, crazyjim said:

A dinner bill of $200 for 8 people is pretty cheap.  No wonder the place charged an extra $25 for cutting and dishing the cake.

2 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

I was going to say. I wish I could find a good restaurant that can feed 8 for $200! Especially if there was wine involved.

It's all relative. You guys live in areas where prices for pretty much everything would be considered high for me. Here in my little hometown, if I had a $200 bill for a party of 8, I'd be more than a little upset. The only way I would expect to see a bill that high for 8 people would be of there was a LOT of booze involved, not just a glass of wine. For just a meal for 8 people I wouldn't even expect a $150 bill unless all 8 people had ordered a mixed drink before dinner.

There was not one alcohol drink ordered.And the food was a couple of Greek salads,a few gyros,a couple of burgers,etc..No $40 steaks.Just your basic Greek food.No matter though,none of us will ever be going back there again.I really wanted to go off on the owner on my way out,but my family made me promise not to say a word.So I just stared :Phim down as I walked out..Lol

15 minutes ago, High octane said:

I'm with Steve as it is not uncommon for my wife and I to go out to dinner and our bill is $60-$70, and that's without any wine or mixed drinks.

Yes, pretty common around here also...even at a chain restaurant like Bonefish Grill or Carrabas it's easy to do that much or more for two w/ a couple glasses of wine.  At a local seafood place for my birthday last month, it was over $200 w/ wine and dessert for 2 people.   Had delicious lobster, and great views of Lake Erie, was worth it... 

Edited by Rob Hall

36 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Yes, pretty common around here also...even at a chain restaurant like Bonefish Grill or Carrabas it's easy to do that much or more for two w/ a couple glasses of wine.  At a local seafood place for my birthday last month, it was over $200 w/ wine and dessert for 2 people.   Had delicious lobster, and great views of Lake Erie, was worth it... 

K,that's pretty expensive for just two people.

6 hours ago, crazyjim said:

A dinner bill of $200 for 8 people is pretty cheap.

5 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

It's not uncommon for the wife and I to spend $60.00 or $70.00 just for the two of us.

What do you order? I'll venture a guess and say it would be real restaurant fare requiring knives and forks. :D Ron's talking about regular Greek diner food. Cheeseburgers, fries and sodas for two people will cost upwards of 50 bucks plus tax and tip at the Greek's in NYC & LI. Replace the burgers with gyros or Greek salad, same cost. How many of you would pay $7.75 for two eggs, toast and hash browns plus a side of pork sausage (3 Brown & Serve-sized links) for an additional $6.95? It ain't cheap, guys.

Menu from the Greek diner near me. Bring two credit cards.