Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Corvette C7.R #3

Turberticus

Currently working on the Revell Corvette C7.R for a client. I had already built the #4 car for him and he recently expressed interested in having me build the #3 car. I was able to find a decal vendor to print up the #3 decals, driver name decals, and white windscreen banner that are unique to the #3 car. All other markings are identical. 

I've already made a lot of progress, but rather than overwhelm readers I'll post my progress in parts. I started by sanding down the body, followed by a coat of Tamiya fine surface primer. That was sanded down, and then sprayed with Gravity Colors Corvette Racing Yellow, masked, then sprayed with Tamiya X18. I then applied a coat of 2K clear to give the decals a smooth surface to adhere to. 

Next post will show the decals, as well as the chassis/engine progress. 

i-2CgcKCT-X4.jpg

i-84GrPm3-X4.jpg

i-TgBmm3h-X4.jpg

i-v5x75Zb-X4.jpg

i-H7sWJQP-X4.jpg

The decals have been applied. I'm missing the driver name decals as well as the #3 decal that goes under the right rear tail light. I also hand painted the brake vents. The A pillars and bottom of the windshield (Not sure what that part is called...) will be masked off and sprayed semi gloss black after the final coat of clear. I hope to have the missing decals applied so I can apply the final coat of clear! 

i-sLp9vL9-X4.jpg

i-PQbktgK-X4.jpg

The chassis was pretty basic and straight forward, but it's complete. Everything is molded in white so lots of semi gloss black was used! Everything here is box stock. The window glass on the model is tinted so not a lot will be seen, but I ended up detailing the dash just a little.

i-pjgnh53-X4.jpg

i-fthbJzC-X4.jpg

The most prominent feature in the engine bay are the air intakes, which unfortunately cover the engine itself. I wanted to detail this as much as possible, so I made own carbon fiber templates with masking tape and Scale Motorsport carbon fiber decals. I sprayed a layer of clear over them, then masked off the section that appears to be rubber hose and sprayed with Testors dullcoat. They were then topped off with bare metal foil.

i-bvQD3qV-X4.jpg

i-HFT86SJ-X4.jpg

I also detailed the rear fan and components that appear at the rear of the car.

i-XZKkp6f-X4.jpg

Edited by Turberticus

21 hours ago, ismaelg said:

Nice car! :)

I see you already built one, but make sure it fits properly. The windows and the engine top were causing mine not to sit properly.

Thanks,

Thanks! Oh yeah, I had to use a lot of CA glue to get my last body to fit properly over the chassis. Would it help if I cut the windows in to separate pieces so there is more clearance for the roll cage? I'm considering doing that.

Edited by Turberticus

2 hours ago, ismaelg said:

It will help.   I did that with mine. You need to go slowly. Don't rush it. After cutting, some cleanup and fine sanding will finish it.

20170119_224142b.jpg

If it helps, you can check the workbench thread on mine.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/117667-corvette-c7r-daytona-winner/

Thanks,

Thank you! I'll give that a try.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 7/20/2018 at 9:50 AM, ismaelg said:

It will help.   I did that with mine. You need to go slowly. Don't rush it. After cutting, some cleanup and fine sanding will finish it.

20170119_224142b.jpg

If it helps, you can check the workbench thread on mine.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/117667-corvette-c7r-daytona-winner/

Thanks,

I'm sorry to derail your thread slightly Turberticus , but Ismael did you ever finish this build off? I was directed to it by another person on a different forum and I thought your's was one of the best examples I've seen, but it seemed to stop near painting. Is it still an active build or did you finish it?

Edited by Madhatter