Model Cars Magazine Forum

What are the best Nascar kits to build?

jchrisf

What are your favorite Nascar kits to build?  I noticed there are a lot of older Monogram/Revell and AMT kits on ebay for great prices.  I was curious what are your favorite kits to buy and build?  The brand new Revell kits or older ones and is there a typical kit you look for when you buy.. because there are a lot to choose from.

Edited by jchrisf

In my opinion, the best NASCAR kit ever is the 1989-1992 Lumina from Monogram (Revell). They updated the chassis to modern standards and this was before most of the Revellogram kits started shipping with badly warped bodies ('94 - '97 Thunderbirds, especially).

Second to the Lumina, IMO, would be the early '80s Buick/Pontiac/Chevy kits. Very well done and they build up nicely.

For AMT, I feel the Lumina body looks the part quite well, while they missed the mark on the Thunderbird and Oldsmobile. The chassis are great for updating other kits though.

Edited by Matt T.

Thanks all.. this has been helpful.  I find these older kits to be the most affordable I have found as far as race cars that I like to build so I can practice on these first while building my skills. I didn't want to buy anything that might be frustrating.  Everyone once in a while I'll find a Danica kit for a great price.  

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, MarkJ said:

The ones that inspire you to build them. I usually end up using street car models and turn them into nascar builds.

I've seen your builds and I don't have your talent yet Mark...  I've got a long way to go to get to your level.

They all look cool to me and inspire me.. For example, which kit below should a newb start with.. these are the ones I have purchased so far?

14.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

Edited by jchrisf

3 hours ago, jchrisf said:

I've seen your builds and I don't have your talent yet Mark...  I've got a long way to go to get to your level.

They all look cool to me and inspire me.. For example, which kit below should a newb start with.. these are the ones I have purchased so far?

14.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

Well, Chris. I guess I would go with one that has one color, and just basic decals. Not large panel decals. Maybe the yellow Waltrip car, or the black Earnhardt car. That would be a way to get your feet wet, without  having to deal with anything too challenging, right off the bat.

6 hours ago, Ben said:

Nobody likes the Polar Lights stock car kits?

The Polar Lights NASCAR kits are a bit demanding to build as they are a bit crude to say the least and they needs lots of work to look good, so I would not recommend going for a Polar Lights NASCAR kit if you're not an experienced builder.
But they did model kits of cool subjects, that you can't take away from them.

20 hours ago, MarkJ said:

Well, Chris. I guess I would go with one that has one color, and just basic decals. Not large panel decals. Maybe the yellow Waltrip car, or the black Earnhardt car. That would be a way to get your feet wet, without  having to deal with anything too challenging, right off the bat.

Good idea... Do all the Monogram cars build up the same?  The AMT Petty car only has a few parts so I thought about starting with that one.

One thing I noticed with these older kits is the plastic looks and feels thicker and better than the newer ones.

15 minutes ago, jchrisf said:

Good idea... Do all the Monogram cars build up the same?  The AMT Petty car only has a few parts so I thought about starting with that one.

One thing I noticed with these older kits is the plastic looks and feels thicker and better than the newer ones.

Yes, I believe they are all basically the same.

19 hours ago, mredjr said:

AMT 65 and 66 Ford, the good old days when racing was racing and not a show.

You talking about this one?

AMT904-2T.jpg?1430737484

I don't like old cars but I do like the look of the old stock cars.  I'll have to get some.  I like the 60's petty cars.. maybe HL will stock these now that they are out of Revells.

19 hours ago, bbowser said:

The AMT Petty car would be the simplest to get together.  That might not be the easiest paint scheme however.  Also it would look much better with the ride height adjusted, the stock kit sits way too high IMO.

I can handle the paint scheme but I don't know how to take car of the ride height?