Model Cars Magazine Forum

1960's GMC V6 engine dimensions?

I'm looking to make a scaled model of GMC's big block 305 V6  engine and I can't find any specs or actual dimensions or drawings of the engine. If someone already has it modeled in CAD let me know since I want to model the engine in Solidworks to make a GMC version of Revell's Suburban kit and 3D print everything. I just want to have the correct specs to model it properly. If you have the actual engine and you measured it or you know someone with the dimensions of the engine or if you somehow have GMC original blueprints of the engine that would be great.. I won't ask questions lol. I know about the gmcguy6066 website but I couldn't find any drawings with dimensions.

gmc v6 engine6.jpg

gmc v6 engine7_1962.jpg

Edited by Mblur05

My son has a 64 GMC with the 305 V 6. It is in the truck but I can try to get some dimensions. I also have a shop manual that may have some nice side and front view images you could scale off of.

Get in touch with "landman", also known as Pat St-Martin, who is a builder here. He does tremendous truck builds, and is a superb scratch builder of engines. He did a complete build up post of a GMC V-12 engine a while back, which is two of the V-6's joined together in one block. He should have most of the info you need. Check it out on this link:  

Thanks for the info and that is impressive how he scratch built the entire 702 GM V12 engine. Still I'd rather have exact specs to try and make a 1:25 scale model version so Carmak let me know about the specs and if you have hi-resolution photos from all different angles of the engine would be great too. If there are any drawings or blue prints out there that would be helpful too.

I think if someone wanted to cast the 3D printed parts for resale since I don't have a way to do that, I'm open to work out a deal as modeling in CAD takes some time. I have no doubt there would be a lot of interest especially if I made the 702 v12 in CAD for those who want one for making big tractor-truck models. The great thing about Solidworks is it's an assembly program so I can build all of the parts and these engines are interchangeable as it seems. I'm also working on making the 4x4 K frame since I was able to find specs/drawings on those even though it's Chevy but it should be about the same as GMC!

frame4.jpg