Model Cars Magazine Forum

PDMC Route 66 Club Build

alan barton

For the past five or six years the members of Perth and Districts Model Club here in western Australia have been collaborating to build giant dioramas to display at the annual Hot Rod and Street Machine Spectacular, the Super Model Car Sunday NNL and the WASMEX model show.  This year we chose to do a representation of Route 66 with vignettes to represent typical features of each state along the way.  The main culprits were

Rob Rattray DIner, Gemini Rocket Man, Cadillac Ranch, Texas Gift shop, Rock shop and main cordinator, director and cattle prodder for the whole deal

Alan Barton  BP Garage and Motel Cucuracha 

Brodie Puleo Texaco Garage

Tony Ashton Wig Wam Motel, Santa Monica Pier

Grant  Elliot Caves and tourist shop and Railway Crossing

Nick  Car yard

Ian Catchpole  Train

Yves Zuber airbrushed backdrop, all 40 or so feet of it!

2018-07-08 07.17.51.jpg

2018-07-08 07.20.23.jpg

2018-07-08 07.19.30.jpg

2018-07-08 07.19.19.jpg

2018-07-08 07.19.42.jpg

2018-07-08 07.20.14.jpg

Edited by alan barton
Additional info

Outstanding. Having driven the entire length of RT 66 once and also parts of it many times over, I really appreciate this. Would love to have that diorama, but would have to use all 3 bedrooms to house it and the wife complains so when I ask her to sleep on the porch.

This is it Dennis.... wives are nice to have around the house, but they do get in the way when you need to have space for the diorama! Seriously though, there's so much to see in that huge diorama from PDMC, and something to discover at every corner each time you look.

David

Thanks everyone for your very complimentary comments.  You may be surprised to know that we got it together in under three months although some of us, me included, already had some buildings in our collection. We did have it set up in a guy's house at one stage - his wife was VERY understanding! As a club, we have also amassed quite a collection of figures.  Our 2017 diorama had over 450 figures n it - this really makes a diorama come alive.  All our club members have been allocated a colour and we put a dot on the soles of the shoes of the figures, to underneath the seats, rubbish bins etc so that  they get back to the correct owners after a show.  All my figures have red dots under their shoes!  Even so, we usually have  to have a session at our next club meeting to sort things out as some of the figures get new girlfriends over the weekend!

You may have noticed some minions scattered about the display.  Our Pontiac guy, Bruce, has about twenty of these and he sprinkles them around.  It may not be perfectly to scale but the little kids go absolutely bananas looking for them!!!  It's even better fun telling the kids they have to count how many there are - you get the big eye rolls from Mum and Dad when they realise how long it is going to take!

Seeing as how there has been so much interest in our display, over the next few weeks I will put up some of our previous displays.

Thanks again,

Alan

• 2 weeks later...