Model Cars Magazine Forum

How Many Do You Work On At Once?

Too many!

I never have less than 6 on the go at any given time.

I'd like to get that number down and focus on one or two, but I find that I need to have multiple projects on the go, so that as paint is drying on one I can be working on another. On Sunday I managed to get four kits into the"paint booth."

At any given time, I've got at least three in the active build category, with usually three or four more in the "once in a while I'll tinker with them" zone.

I've tried several times to get down to one at a time but I've found I lose interest in them quickly. I need variety, I guess. :)

Through the summer months, I typically trial fit everything and get most of the paint work done while it's warmer. My spray area is my un-heated garage... It's not uncommon for me to have 9 or 10 bodies ready for assembly by the time winter rolls around. Sometimes I get through them all, sometimes not. There are two or three I didn't get to from last year's pile, still waiting to get put together, and two from the year before that. Maybe this will be their year... ;)

Right now, six cars and three military kits. It's an assembly line. I'll work on one or two for around three days while the others are in their boxes on standby. Then, box them up and move to another two. Rinse and repeat. This keeps me from over-obsessing about details on any particular, kit which I tend to do.

I usually have 3 to 5 going too. I'll see something on this site and think "that's cool, I have one of those in my stash!" and I'll start in on it. Then I hit a roadblock, usually paint related, and it sits for awhile. Then it'll be something like an event or show coming up that'll get me motivated to start something else. It never ends. Every couple of years,  I'll finish something, lol.

Jeff

I may be crazy but i have about 20 active and about 60 that i work on here and there that are started.Than i have a ton i haven't started yet.Right now i have things going on  in 4 rooms on 3 floors.Also i do model work for a few other people.I have no problem dealing with that much at once and i love it-i'm retired and have plenty of time.!!!My wife tells me i'm losing the biggest room and getting 2 smaller rooms-it'll work-lol.

Do the ones I started and just never got around to finishing count??  Hope not.  Generally 4 or 5 at any given time.  Sometimes I hit a roadblock and have to let is rest for a while to get my head around a problem.