Model Cars Magazine Forum

40 Ford 4x4 - update 7/23

Like most of us, I've dreamed of building a hot rod in my garage. I live in a dry climate and there are project cars to be had. However, last fall, my wife and I bought and moved out to a little 10 acre farm in a canyon. We have a creek that runs through it, it's a little slice of heaven. However, it is ten miles off a paved road. Once you get in our canyon, the roads get a little rough. Not something you'd want a low slung hot rod bouncing along. So it occurs to me I might have to tweak my hot rod plans. It might end up looking more like this. My current WIP. AMT '40 Panel, chassis (slightly modified) and engine from the Monogram 4x4 Ranger, with a few Ford engine goodies from the Revell '32 5 window. Wheels and tires from the AMT Jeep Commando.

42541064845_e7201330f4_z.jpg

43430396061_92a26a661b_z.jpg

43430400201_e6718e58b5_z.jpg

29559529998_69346e607b_z.jpg

Edited by Jantrix

11 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I LIKE it.   :D

9 hours ago, fordlover632 said:

That is cool

4 hours ago, PARTSMARTY said:

Very cool project Rob !!!

Thanks guys. I'm torn on leaving the body alone or doing something like this. Opinions please.

Image result for gmc jimmy top removed

I like your general theme on this. I have seen several vehicles, 1:1, where the owner had taken a normal 2wd vehicle and added an off road type chassis and drive train. I think it looks like it would be a fun vehicle. This is a model and you're free to do what ever your heart desires with it. Make an open top setup like the Blazer in the picture or even a removeable top, again like the Blazer. Your new home sounds like a great place to live, and the advantage of a gravel road is that you can see the dust from visitors coming  long before they get there.

3 hours ago, espo said:

Your new home sounds like a great place to live, and the advantage of a gravel road is that you can see the dust from visitors coming  long before they get there.

Yep, we can see those revenuers a-comin'. :D

image.png.7705b367961e5235c9b2ec8256904bda.png

10 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

I'd like the Blazer, but that's just me.

That's the way I'm leaning. Thanks for your input. I'm gonna do a roll bar, second row seat and spare tire. Tube bumpers and a skid plate. Paint is still up in the air.

That reminds me. Anyone got a wheel/tire from this kit to spare?

Image result for AMT jeep

Thanks guys. I'm having a good time with it. Still undecided on paint. My usual MO is something weathered or a flat paint job. I'm also just kicking around just leaving it red oxide primer.

Edited by Jantrix

• 2 years later...
3 hours ago, Erik Smith said:

That is looking cool. I like it. 

A 1:1 version would be great. It would give all these guys a run for their money, since every other person in Idaho owns one:

7D607F52-20DE-491A-914C-6C324B14FE2F.jpeg

You are quite right. I have a parade of hunters in those going through my property from October till the weather turns. 

Edited by Jantrix

56 minutes ago, Jantrix said:

You are quite right. I have a parade of hunters in those going through my property from October till the weather turns. 

Hopefully with your permission. A few of them don't respect the landowner like they should.

I am sorry,  but when you took the roof off, it kind of reminds me of a VW kit car. ?

4 hours ago, Erik Smith said:

That is looking cool. I like it. 

A 1:1 version would be great. It would give all these guys a run for their money, since every other person in Idaho owns one:

7D607F52-20DE-491A-914C-6C324B14FE2F.jpeg

They are all over here in Michigan also. I have access to one with a dump box. It is nice to use. and 4x4 goes where I need it to. I wat my own with a bunch of suspension travel. I don'r care how fast it goes, just want an easy ride on my back.  

Rob your 40 Ford looks better with every cut.   

19 hours ago, Sam I Am said:

Hopefully with your permission. A few of them don't respect the landowner like they should.

I am sorry,  but when you took the roof off, it kind of reminds me of a VW kit car. ?

Sometimes. A lot of guys figure that since they have permission from one of the landowners, they don't have to at least contact every landowner they are passing through. There is no legal easement, the road is private, but they have been going through on the assumption for years, that there is one, and get real testy when I challenge them. 

Something like this? ? Yeah I getcha. As the roll cage and spare goes in and some other 4x4 goodies, that will hopefully change.

Pin on Old Things

18 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

Rob your 40 Ford looks better with every cut.   

Thanks man. More soon.

On 7/25/2018 at 9:10 AM, Jantrix said:

Thanks guys. I'm having a good time with it. Still undecided on paint. My usual MO is something weathered or a flat paint job. I'm also just kicking around just leaving it red oxide primer.

If I were doing it I'd go with a "desert find" finish. You know- sun-bleached factory paint with lots and lots of light surface rust, and maybe patches of primer on and/or around the freshly cut panels. 

34 minutes ago, Chuck Most said:

If I were doing it I'd go with a "desert find" finish. You know- sun-bleached factory paint with lots and lots of light surface rust, and maybe patches of primer on and/or around the freshly cut panels. 

My plan is that ..................... or just red oxide primer. I have done many patina rods lately but never just a plain ol primer rod. This might be the one.