Model Cars Magazine Forum

preval paint system

Hi  jeffdeoranut,

I use these periodically and find them useful in a few situations.  They are NOT an airbrush substitute, and only moderately "better" than spray cans (which is my most used paint delivery system).  I have sprayed both acrylics and enamels (appropriately thinned) with no issues. I was very happy with the results using it to spray the microscale gloss clear.  I have not yet tried spraying premixed airbrush paints with it, but it is on my todo list and I don't see why it wouldn't work.  I find the spray thinner and lighter, but without really any more control than the typical spray can. Coats usually come out pretty even and since a little light sometimes need to put on an extra coat compared to spray cans. 

I've tried 'em several times over the years hoping for good results. Nah.

In a pinch, where you just HAVE to be able to spray something, well, maybe.

Like the man says...NOT a substitute for an airbrush, and really not as good as many rattlecans.

Of course, my remarks are based on expecting a show-quality finish when I'm done.

If mediocre, average results rock your world, rock on.

15 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I've tried 'em several times over the years hoping for good results. Nah.

In a pinch, where you just HAVE to be able to spray something, well, maybe.

Like the man says...NOT a substitute for an airbrush, and really not as good as many rattlecans.

Of course, my remarks are based on expecting a show-quality finish when I'm done.

If mediocre, average results rock your world, rock on.

I really have a dilemma as im airbrushed challenged...lol

31 minutes ago, jeffdeoranut said:

I really have a dilemma as im airbrushed challenged...lol

:D   Well, as they say, "your results may vary".

Seriously, try one. Theo said he got good results.

Maybe I got a series of bad units. Maybe somebody in the store had already sprayed out half the propellant, or maybe they'd been on the shelf forever and leaked-down (the last several I tried were delivered directly from a bodyshop supply outlet).

Honestly, now that I really think about it, it seems like the FIRST time I used one, over 25 years ago, it worked pretty well. Last time I tried one was in about 2007, and I wasn't happy at all...and vowed never-again.

It looks like you can get a 2-pack for around $11, so that's not a huge investment for experimenting (though by the time you have mixing paint to the right viscosity dialed in, you might be out of pressure).

If it's possible to swap the nozzles with Tamiya rattlecan nozzles, that might be an improvement too. :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy