Model Cars Magazine Forum

Painting The Inside of A Car Body

I have a question for those of you experienced in light/white paint jobs.  I have a '69 Hurst Olds which I have painted with Testors One Coat Lacquer - White Lightning.  My apologies to all the purists out there - I am aware that the 1:1 was pure white and not a pearl white.  I have just always liked the color and thought it would look stunning with the gold decals and IMHO I'm not wrong.  I did not use primer under the paint, and after getting a near perfect paint job that I am totally happy with (and wet sanded to 12000 with no burns), I am NOT willing to strip it and redo it (unless somehow I completely ruin something in an unforeseen way).  That said, I am going to be painting the roof liner in flat black.  I am a bit worried about the black "shining through" the roof and dont want the roof to be mismatched to the rest of the car.  I have read if you want to avoid shine through to paint the inside of light (white in this case) car bodies with grey primer and dark bodies with black.  I'm not sure that I want to paint the rest of the inside black (to match the roof) as I feel this may darken the whole car up too much.  If I paint the roof liner (and the rest of the inside of the car body) with grey primer before painting the flat black, will this keep everything color wise looking even or matched from the outside (will the grey primer keep the black from shining through)??  I dont have any more of the paint or a spare body/parts to experiment on at the moment to figure it out for myself so I am asking the question instead.

20180717_162617.thumb.jpg.45ae73f30cf6c18b5cccbf36b7ef7e4b.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Mark.

Go to an office supply or crafts store and get yourself some 3M white vinyl tape. Apply it to the inside of the roof like a headliner. Then you can paint the tape black, and you'll have an extra layer of opaque white between it and the black paint. 

Next time, prime the inside of your body with a good opaque flat white like Walmart flat white primer BEFORE you paint the outside, and then mask it off. 

Most of the headliner of this Javelin is white tape as described, which I did this way to avoid having to either brush-paint it white or mask it off having already finished the outside. 

68JavelinBlue39.jpg

13 hours ago, Markalister said:

I have a question for those of you experienced in light/white paint jobs.  I have a '69 Hurst Olds which I have painted with Testors One Coat Lacquer - White Lightning.  My apologies to all the purists out there - I am aware that the 1:1 was pure white and not a pearl white.  I have just always liked the color and thought it would look stunning with the gold decals and IMHO I'm not wrong.  I did not use primer under the paint, and after getting a near perfect paint job that I am totally happy with (and wet sanded to 12000 with no burns), I am NOT willing to strip it and redo it (unless somehow I completely ruin something in an unforeseen way).  That said, I am going to be painting the roof liner in flat black.  I am a bit worried about the black "shining through" the roof and dont want the roof to be mismatched to the rest of the car.  I have read if you want to avoid shine through to paint the inside of light (white in this case) car bodies with grey primer and dark bodies with black.  I'm not sure that I want to paint the rest of the inside black (to match the roof) as I feel this may darken the whole car up too much.  If I paint the roof liner (and the rest of the inside of the car body) with grey primer before painting the flat black, will this keep everything color wise looking even or matched from the outside (will the grey primer keep the black from shining through)??  I dont have any more of the paint or a spare body/parts to experiment on at the moment to figure it out for myself so I am asking the question instead.

20180717_162617.thumb.jpg.45ae73f30cf6c18b5cccbf36b7ef7e4b.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Mark.

I suspect that the roof of your Olds is more than likely at least .030" thick, perhaps a little bit thicker, at least in the middle.  If your pearl white is fairly well pigmented, I doubt that painting the underside of it black will alter the color of the roof exterior.   However, just to be on the safe side here, take two white plastic picnic spoons,paint them both (on the convex or bottom side of the spoon "bowl" in the pearl white you used on your body shell, then after it's dried, paint the top side (concave side) of one of the spoons  flat black.   Once dry, compare their convex surfaces side-by-side just to see if there is any noticeable difference  between the two.

Art