Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius /Model king 65'Mercury Cyclone A/FX

Mr mopar

Anyone able to confirm.

I recently read an article and they way I read it.

While in Dyno Dons ownership the car was 427 wedge powered.

it wasnt till he sold the car, it became SOHC powered

And I can find any evidence the car was ever straight axle equipped during his tenure

• gtx6970 Don had two 1965 Comets. One was driven by Eddie Schartman. It had a 427 wedge and never had a tube axle. Don's car the red one was delivered with a 427 SOHC. When Don altered the wheelbase and added injectors he also added a tube axle. The Beswick car never had injectors. It was turned over to Paul Rossi in mid season and ran carbs.

I looked at the contents. The only detail that is glaringly wrong is the pedals piece. You could heel and toe all 3 pedals with the ball of your foot. Just as bad as the right side master cylinder in the MK 1961 Catalina stock car. That said, i bought more after seeing the first one.

49 minutes ago, OutaFocus said:

A B/FX Comet with a 289 and Webers would be cool too. I guess you would also need a stock kit too as it looks like the B/FX cars had the normal shock towers.

Moebius has already tooled up all the B/FX version parts but so far no announcement if or when they will release it.  I'd suspect they're waiting to see how well the A/FX version does. 

Steve

4 hours ago, SteveG said:

Moebius has already tooled up all the B/FX version parts but so far no announcement if or when they will release it.  I'd suspect they're waiting to see how well the A/FX version does. 

Steve

What Steve said....the B/FX version has been in the works for several years already.  It has quite a bit of differentiation from the A/FX kit, too.    TIM   

Just got 2 of these kits, 1 to build Beswick and 1 to build Dyno Don's. I also just received today the Dyno Don book that has been released recently. In it is a picture of the SOHC 427 engine in Dyno's Comet. I don't see any Ford Logos on the valve covers.

What would be good color matches for Beswick and Dyno's Comets? Was Beswick's straight White? Duno's a factory Red from the time period?

The Book

No automatic alt text available.

The Engine

No automatic alt text available.

Yes, in the final analysis I'm glad to have it - I just wish they had gotten a little closer in a few areas, but this has been discussed elsewhere.Image result for 1965 comet engine compartment

Image result for 1965 comet engine compartment

Image result for 1965 comet engine compartment

And it looks like the B/FX Comets ran without the shock tower brace, hmm . . .

Related image

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0112-121126/

Edited by RancheroSteve

Please forgive me if these are dumb questions- but I have done some web searching and come up without an answer.

Since the carbs are so exposed on these engines, I am thinking that using an aftermarket resin cast carb like the ones from Fireball Modelworks might dress up the engine bay- but what carb to use?

If building the "match racer" injected version of the Comet, what intake manifold would work best? I'm assuming that the aluminum stacks from the AMT parts pack would look good.

Thanks in advance for any information that you can provide.

Edited by MG Brown

Ford used Holley model 4160 carbs with vacuum secondarys and no choke on the FE race engines with dual carbs, the carbs are turned backwards so the distributor will fit because if you turn them the normal way the float bowl on the front carb will interfere with the distributor cap.
So these carburetors will work nicely for your build.

FMR-091.jpg

Otherwise you can use the carburetors from the AMT 1960 Starliner Custom or 2 'n 1 kits, they looks pretty good too.

For the Injection manifold you could use one from the AMT Street Freak Mustang or similar and use aluminum tubes.

Edited by Force

2 hours ago, Mr mopar said:

Just got my kit today the only thing that let's this kit down are the Rims why can't they put Cragar s/s on them .

Then they'd have to license them, and a then a $30+ model kit costs closer to $35. Then everyone keyboard Rambos Moebius and Burkett over the OUTRAGEOUS prices.

Nothing against you personally, but if this forum has proven anything to me in the past 9 yrs it's that a lot of people say they want detail added, but very few people are actually willing to pay for it.

James you would be right in saying most would not pay for good detail ! but I sure would.

4 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

Then they'd have to license them, and a then a $30+ model kit costs closer to $35. Then everyone keyboard Rambos Moebius and Burkett over the OUTRAGEOUS prices.

Nothing against you personally, but if this forum has proven anything to me in the past 9 yrs it's that a lot of people say they want detail added, but very few people are actually willing to pay for it.

3 hours ago, 250 Testa Rossa said:

Actually, the Cragars that were on the Cyclones said Cyclone on them. I have a picture. 

TBoltBFXComet-17.jpg

I would even take a decal to put on the center cap !

Edited by Mr mopar