Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius /Model king 65'Mercury Cyclone A/FX

Mr mopar

6 hours ago, SteveG said:

Here's my built up test shot engine pics,  what do you think ?

2v29PANo5xvL75L.jpg

2v29PANEyxvL75L.jpg

Looks fairly right and better than most, it would have been nice with the Ford 427 SOHC ingraving tho'.

valve_covers_1.jpg.82a74f9bbb097bd04bd496e84bfddae2.jpg

Edited by Force

12 hours ago, Force said:

Looks fairly right and better than most, it would have been nice with the Ford 427 SOHC ingraving tho'.

At first blush, I must disagree. The Mobious Cammer shown above looks to be fair at best. The shape of the cam covers is too squared off and 'hard edged'. This is yet another set of cam covers that omits the 'Ford SOHC' script (as mentioned). But perhaps the worse offense is the shape and possibly location of the spark plug indentations. Details look a bit soft or vague on the rest of the engine, but the cam covers are parts box swimmers, as would be the intake, etc.. Thankfully we have been blessed with numerous Cammers over the years that are much better then these, and a couple of sets that have been very well done. I'll be picking up one of these kits for sure, but if I build it as a Cammer, I'll definitely be using a different engine (or at least different cam covers).

It's a shame, really, but as said, there are other choices out there. I'm quite thankful just to have a decent '65 Comet.

Now, if Round2 would just backdate their '67 to a '66, I'll be a happy camper

Edited by Bainford

3 hours ago, Bainford said:

At first blush, I must disagree. The Mobious Cammer shown above looks to be fair at best. The shape of the cam covers is too squared off and 'hard edged'. This is yet another set of cam covers that omits the 'Ford SOHC' script (as mentioned). But perhaps the worse offense is the shape and possibly location of the spark plug indentations. Details look a bit soft or vague on the rest of the engine, but the cam covers are parts box swimmers, as would be the intake, etc.. Thankfully we have been blessed with numerous Cammers over the years that are much better then these, and a couple of sets that have been very well done. I'll be picking up one of these kits for sure, but if I build it as a Cammer, I'll definitely be using a different engine (or at least different cam covers).

It's a shame, really, but as said, there are other choices out there. I'm quite thankful just to have a decent '65 Comet.

Now, if Round2 would just backdate their '67 to a '66, I'll be a happy camper

Well, they are not perfect.

14 hours ago, Force said:

valve_covers_1.jpg.82a74f9bbb097bd04bd496e84bfddae2.jpg

On 11/15/2016 at 1:03 PM, Dave Metzner said:

The references we have for the 427 SOHC in 65 Comet AFX cars which come from 1965 era photography of real cars do NOT show the Ford Oval Logos on the Cam covers! Those oval Ford logos and SOHC letters are not on our kit parts.

5 hours ago, Bainford said:

The shape of the cam covers is too squared off and 'hard edged'. This is yet another set of cam covers that omits the 'Ford SOHC' script (as mentioned). But perhaps the worse offense is the shape and possibly location of the spark plug indentations. Details look a bit soft or vague on the rest of the engine, but the cam covers are parts box swimmers, as would be the intake, etc.

I agree, it appears the mold section where the cam cover cavities are never received any human attention to 'soften' the edges and corners. Fortunately, that can be corrected/fine tuned as the builder chooses, but out of the box, they look too 'machine made' to my eyes.

The below cam covers carry no logo nor script, but they have definitely been polished, so not exactly freshly cast:

ford-SOHC-427-cammer.jpg

Don Nicholson's '65 Comet:

dyno-don-nicholson.jpg

Not sure if these are factory cam covers or not, but they are definitely more rounded on the corners and edges:

1933-willys-coupe-cammer.jpg

Edited by Casey

On 7/21/2018 at 8:17 AM, Rob Hall said:

Googling 'Arnie Beswick' Comet turned up an engine that looks like this, with tubes instead of dual carbs.  I guess that is how it is today (or a recreation?).

sohc427.jpg

Yes, that is how the car remains today. A good friend owns it....along with a few others.

DSCN4573.JPG

DSCN4571.JPG

Would it better if the parts were accurate - absolutely.   However I look at things like improving the valve covers as an opportunity to differentiate my build from a box stock build.

Edited by afx

2 hours ago, Sledsel said:

Ok, the shock towers are removed, so what is the front suspension set up?   

AFX Mustangs ran torsion leaf front suspension to make room for the SOHC 427, assume the Comets did as well.

Related imageRelated imageImage result for afx mustang torsion suspension

Edited by afx

2 hours ago, Sledsel said:

Ok, the shock towers are removed, so what is the front suspension set up?   

I believe that car is running a straight axle. There were all kinds of different set-ups being tried at this time - narrowed shock towers, torsion springs, and straight axles - and most of the well known cars didn't stay the same for long. The Moebius Comet at least provides a good starting point.

On ‎21‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 5:17 AM, Rob Hall said:

Googling 'Arnie Beswick' Comet turned up an engine that looks like this, with tubes instead of dual carbs.  I guess that is how it is today (or a recreation?).

sohc427.jpg

I like the tubes they look AWESOME !

Edited by Mr mopar