Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cade's County Jeep CJ-5 Is Complete

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkWECedSzio

A new project for me is the Jeep CJ-5 used in the TV series, Cade's County starring the late Glenn Ford.  The closest I can come to for Cade's Jeep is the Korean War CJ-5 Staff Car and Trailer kit #1-1210-250 which just fell into my hands for $10.00.  Extremely  little is known about the Cade's County Jeep so I am taking some artistic license here.  I am also going to attempt weathering the body and chassis to reflect the Jeep's time in Madrid County, California.

CJ501.JPG

CJ502.JPG

CJ503.JPG

CJ504.JPG

CJ505.JPG

CJ506.JPG

CJ507.JPG

CJ508.JPG

CJ509.JPG

Edited by mrmike

Thanks for the link Robert!

I got the engine finished and installed into the completed chassis with the driveshafts.  I just need to do a few touchups and fix the plug boots.  The chassis is complete with the transfer case skid plate.

More to come...

CJ510.JPG

CJ511.JPG

CJ512.JPG

I wanted to remove the placards on the right side of the dash, so some sanding and about ten minutes later, the placards were gone!  Bodywork has been ongoing with all the various holes being filled.  There's a placard on the right side front fender in a well.  I filled the well with some sheet styrene and I putty it over later.

CJ513.JPG

CJ514.JPG

CJ515.JPG

Thank you Ricky and Andy!

On 7/25/2018 at 8:56 AM, TarheelRick said:

Are the tires kit items or from somewhere else?

The wheels are tires are in kit.  I believe the kit was retooled for big tires and wheels, roll bars, CB radios and antennas. 

This is what happens when you feel bored and you don't want to work on your projects, but you feel the need to relieve that boredom and you do something like this...  There are several guns and tools in this kit.  I decided to assemble the machine gun stand and mount the machine gun after I painted it with Model Master Gunmetal and I drilled out the end of the barrel and hollowed out the handle.  The machine gun appears to be a M2 .50 caliber gun.

More to come...

CJ518.JPG

CJ516.JPG

CJ517.JPG

Edited by mrmike

Thanks Michael!  The reason I wanted this kit was that it had all the stock parts that I was looking for.  I didn't have to go chasing after stock type wheels and tires or any other parts needed for this build.  One thing I read during my research was that Sam Cade's Jeep was a V-6 model and I haven't been able to confirm that little fact.  There is so little information about this Jeep anywhere.  Even pictures are almost non-existent.  

Edited by mrmike

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I did a little work on the Jeep this morning.  I sanded the Bondo spots smooth.  Next up is primer.  There were two holes in the back of the Jeep and I filled them with a couple of plugs made with styrene rod.  I used a black wash on the lug nuts and the wheel slots.

More to come...

CJ519.JPG

CJ520.JPG

CJ521.JPG

I painted the CJ5 this morning with Tamiya TS-48 German Gray which is a flat color.  I may add a coat Tamiya Semi-Gloss Clear to the body and hood after they have had sufficient time to dry.  I may just skip the Semi Gloss Clear and weather everything since this Jeep has spent most of it's life out in the open desert and the body and hood are not glossy.

More to come...

CJ522.JPG

CJ523.JPG

CJ524.JPG

I airbrushed some Model Master Acryl Flat Gull Gray onto the body for a dusty looking body.  I'll dry brush more paint on later.  I found two blank star decals in the decal stash and applied them to the hood.  I placed the hood in the dehydrator to dry for an hour.  I had heard of someone doing this  and they had good luck with it, so why not?  And, again I have to make seat backs for the bucket seats in the Jeep.  Why do they do this especially when the seats are plainly visible?  Time to get out the sheet styrene again...

More to come...

CJ525.JPG

CJ526.JPG

CJ527.JPG

Looks like we should have swapped kits. I got the Daisy Duke Jeep and tried to convert the Civilian tool of this kit to a M38A-1 and you converted the M38A-1 to a civilian jeep.

I got the Daisy Jeep to build as the TV Jeep, but the kit is not even close, so I went with the M38A-1 theme. Next time I will just buy a Revell CJ7 for Dasiy's Jeep, and the kit you got for a M38A-1.

I do like where you are going with this kit, its looking good.

Well, let me tell you a little story, The Daisy Duke Jeep you are converting is a CJ-7 model.  The CJ-7 is a completely different beast compared to the M38A-1 as it is too new of a model.  The kit I have is a rare kit that has never been re-issued as the Korean Conflict Jeep CJ-5 and Trailer.  It has been re-issued as several different types of off-road CJ-5 with roll bars, big lights, a CB radio and antenna minus the trailer.  I didn't want the Hogan's Heros Jeep as that was too old of a Jeep for my intended purpose due to its flat front fenders.  I do understand the irony between yours and mine though.  Thanks!

After watching the opening credits again, I noticed that the windshield has wiper marks on it.  I grabbed a sheet of Post-It Notes, measured my spacing and with a compass, I made these.  Unfortunately, the wiper motors are at the top of the windshield and Sam Cade's Jeep has them at the bottom.  Oh well...I told you I was going to take some dramatic license with this build!  Last night, I got out the Tamiya X-18 Semi-Gloss Black and the Tamiya XF-10 Flat Brown and painted up the M-1 Carbine and the Thompson Sub-Machine Gun.  A mockup to see how this CJ-5 is coming along.  Much to be done-flat clear coat the hood and weather it, weather the Jery can and the spare tire, and finish assembly. 

More to come...

CJ528.JPG

CJ529.JPG

CJ530.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2018 at 1:57 PM, mrmike said:

Well, let me tell you a little story, The Daisy Duke Jeep you are converting is a CJ-7 model.  The CJ-7 is a completely different beast compared to the M38A-1 as it is too new of a model.  The kit I have is a rare kit that has never been re-issued as the Korean Conflict Jeep CJ-5 and Trailer.  It has been re-issued as several different types of off-road CJ-5 with roll bars, big lights, a CB radio and antenna minus the trailer.  I didn't want the Hogan's Heros Jeep as that was too old of a Jeep for my intended purpose due to its flat front fenders.  I do understand the irony between yours and mine though.  Thanks!

After watching the opening credits again, I noticed that the windshield has wiper marks on it.  I grabbed a sheet of Post-It Notes, measured my spacing and with a compass, I made these.  Unfortunately, the wiper motors are at the top of the windshield and Sam Cade's Jeep has them at the bottom.  Oh well...I told you I was going to take some dramatic license with this build!  Last night, I got out the Tamiya X-18 Semi-Gloss Black and the Tamiya XF-10 Flat Brown and painted up the M-1 Carbine and the Thompson Sub-Machine Gun.  A mockup to see how this CJ-5 is coming along.  Much to be done-flat clear coat the hood and weather it, weather the Jery can and the spare tire, and finish assembly. 

More to come...

CJ528.JPG

CJ529.JPG

CJ530.JPG

I wish it had been a CJ-7, it is supposed to be, that is what she drove. But the kit is a later tool of the kit you have. Take a look at one, right down to the hood hinges it is the same kit. They removed the trailer and re-released it several more times, and twice as a Daisy Duke Jeep. See:  https://www.scalemates.com/kits/1072736-mpc-1-0709-jeep-cj5

When it was retooled, it lost the Military stuff, like the tool box by the window, the round NATO plug on the side, the dash was changed to a civilian type, etc. But the basic CJ5/M38A-1 kit is still the same.

I wish it had been a CJ7, that is what I wanted, but the only CJ7 is a Monogram 1/24 scale that is out of production.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally fired up the paintbooth and did a little painting tonight.  I painted the hood with Acryl Flat Clear to help cover the gloss of the star decals and the front bumper got a coat of Tamiya TS-14 Gloss Black.

More to come...

CJ531.JPG

CJ532.JPG

CJ533.JPG

I have finished my Jeep CJ-5 from the 1971 TV series, Cade's County starring the late Glenn Ford and it is posted in Under Glass.  I would like to thank all those who have taken the time to view and to comment on my WIP.