[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
  • Announcements

• Dave Ambrose

Board Status   07/20/2018

Maintenance completed, but there is still more come.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkWECedSzio

A new project for me is the Jeep CJ-5 used in the TV series, Cade's County starring the late Glenn Ford.  The closest I can come to for Cade's Jeep is the Korean War CJ-5 Staff Car and Trailer kit #1-1210-250 which just fell into my hands for $10.00.  Extremely  little is known about the Cade's County Jeep so I am taking some artistic license here.  I am also going to attempt weathering the body and chassis to reflect the Jeep's time in Madrid County, California.

CJ501.JPG

CJ502.JPG

CJ503.JPG

CJ504.JPG

CJ505.JPG

CJ506.JPG

CJ507.JPG

CJ508.JPG

CJ509.JPG

Looking good so far! I love these old flat fender Jeeps, such a classic!

Thanks Brenden!  FWIW, this is not a "flat-fender" Jeep.  This is a Jeep CJ-5 from the Korean Conflict era.  The "flat-fender" Jeeps are from World War II.

Thanks for the link Robert!

I got the engine finished and installed into the completed chassis with the driveshafts.  I just need to do a few touchups and fix the plug boots.  The chassis is complete with the transfer case skid plate.

More to come...

CJ510.JPG

CJ511.JPG

CJ512.JPG

I wanted to remove the placards on the right side of the dash, so some sanding and about ten minutes later, the placards were gone!  Bodywork has been ongoing with all the various holes being filled.  There's a placard on the right side front fender in a well.  I filled the well with some sheet styrene and I putty it over later.

CJ513.JPG

CJ514.JPG

CJ515.JPG

You are doing some nice work on this Jeep.  Are the tires kit items or from somewhere else?

Nice work .  That was a great price for this kit.  The trailer is worth that easily. 

One of the kits my late brother built back in the day, because we like the old Jeeps here in the Toledo area. 

Thank you Ricky and Andy!

On 7/25/2018 at 8:56 AM, TarheelRick said:

Are the tires kit items or from somewhere else?

The wheels are tires are in kit.  I believe the kit was retooled for big tires and wheels, roll bars, CB radios and antennas. 

This is what happens when you feel bored and you don't want to work on your projects, but you feel the need to relieve that boredom and you do something like this...  There are several guns and tools in this kit.  I decided to assemble the machine gun stand and mount the machine gun after I painted it with Model Master Gunmetal and I drilled out the end of the barrel and hollowed out the handle.  The machine gun appears to be a M2 .50 caliber gun.

More to come...

CJ518.JPG

CJ516.JPG

CJ517.JPG

Edited by mrmike

Great job so far!  This kit later became the Daisy Duke CJ-5 kit.

This MPC kit has the name of the Jeep as CJ-5 which was the civilian Jeep.  The military version is M38A1. 

Edited by crowe-t

Thanks Michael!  The reason I wanted this kit was that it had all the stock parts that I was looking for.  I didn't have to go chasing after stock type wheels and tires or any other parts needed for this build.  One thing I read during my research was that Sam Cade's Jeep was a V-6 model and I haven't been able to confirm that little fact.  There is so little information about this Jeep anywhere.  Even pictures are almost non-existent.  

Edited by mrmike

Unfortunately, I have placed this build on the back burner for a bit.  I'll get back to it shortly.