Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chassis Warp on TWO Revell Kits

I have been working the Revell Porsche 918 and the Revell Mazda Rx-7 kits for quite a while and really want to finish them to start some new ones, but I am being held back from finishing them. Both of the chassis' are warped. I have already painted them and want to know if you have any suggestions on how to fix the warp and also if anyone else is having the same problem. Thanks, Matt.5b51436915946_20180719_2150481.thumb.jpg.060c2dbfd9c0c3d8a6cd6f7339f9ab26.jpg5b51435580675_20180719_2153291.thumb.jpg.2bd96346301f66774ac1e93112a05453.jpg

Wow. that's a tough one! Short of heating them up, I'm not sure what else can be done. One rule of thumb when assembling any model kit old or new, is to ALWAYS mock up/test fit out your parts before putting 'em together.

In the case of both, you may be able to carefully take them apart and try straightening the chassis with hot water or very carefully a heat gun/hair dryer. Other than that, I'm not sure what else to add. Sorry this happened to you. It happens from time to time with the kit makers. Parts are pulled and packed too quickly, set in a twisted fashion while cooling, and you as the customer gets stuck with warped parts.

Another fly in the ointment is that since Revell is for now kaput, I'm not sure you can get replacement parts for those. :(

Hope the suggestion I gave can be of some help.

Edited by MrObsessive

It's a little late for you in this case but if you turn the chassis upside down and lay it on a flat surface before you start anything you would easily see if it's warped, and if it is, you can try to twist it back to shape under hot water or a heat gun as Bill says.

I just thought of something else when I finished the last post. Do you have a dehydrator? If so, you might be able to set the chassis in the dehydrator, set the temp for 110º or so and carefully twist the chassis back to straightness. You'll have to keep an eye on other things such as delicate parts, tires, etc.

It's worth a shot--------nothing's more irritating to me than warped kit parts which can render it unbuildable! :angry:

3 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

I just thought of something else when I finished the last post. Do you have a dehydrator? If so, you might be able to set the chassis in the dehydrator, set the temp for 110º or so and carefully twist the chassis back to straightness. You'll have to keep an eye on other things such as delicate parts, tires, etc.

It's worth a shot--------nothing's more irritating to me than warped kit parts which can render it unbuildable! :angry:

A dehydrator will work (I've used one several times), but some clamping will probably be required. I'm not sure I'd put tires in one, though.

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 2:46 AM, MrObsessive said:

Wow. that's a tough one! Short of heating them up, I'm not sure what else can be done. One rule of thumb when assembling any model kit old or new, is to ALWAYS mock up/test fit out your parts before putting 'em together.

In the case of both, you may be able to carefully take them apart and try straightening the chassis with hot water or very carefully a heat gun/hair dryer. Other than that, I'm not sure what else to add. Sorry this happened to you. It happens from time to time with the kit makers. Parts are pulled and packed too quickly, set in a twisted fashion while cooling, and you as the customer gets stuck with warped parts.

Another fly in the ointment is that since Revell is for now kaput, I'm not sure you can get replacement parts for those. :(

Hope the suggestion I gave can be of some help.

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 2:49 AM, Force said:

It's a little late for you in this case but if you turn the chassis upside down and lay it on a flat surface before you start anything you would easily see if it's warped, and if it is, you can try to twist it back to shape under hot water or a heat gun as Bill says.

Thanks for the replies. I will try a heat gun and post here if it works. I will definitely start testing parts before painting them.