Model Cars Magazine Forum

Nail Polish

I thought nail polish was enamel and enamels take forever to dry yet nail polish dried fairly quick. Do they add a drier to the paint? I see lots of instructions for thinning it to spray it but nothing on brushing it has anyone ever tried that? 

7 minutes ago, oldnslow said:

read the label for the make up of the polish ....

The failure to do so sometimes has entertaining results. The yellow for my old Diablo Speedster Flambé is nail polish, as is the pearl orange for the flames, but when I went to thin one bottle of yellow with lacquer thinner to airbrush it, whatever the nail polish was made out of didn't agree with the thinner. Looked like I'd created fluid for a lava lamp.

21 hours ago, Russell C said:

The failure to do so sometimes has entertaining results. The yellow for my old Diablo Speedster Flambé is nail polish, as is the pearl orange for the flames, but when I went to thin one bottle of yellow with lacquer thinner to airbrush it, whatever the nail polish was made out of didn't agree with the thinner. Looked like I'd created fluid for a lava lamp.

I once tried to thin Poly-S paint with lacquer thinner and it turned it to Jello instantly. 

• 2 weeks later...

So I thinned it 50% with lacquer thinner and brushed it on a spare piece of sprue. This is Revlon "Bubbly" a smooth bright pink color

Any tips to improve the finish? Would a clear coat help? The piece is shown on a US Nickel for size scale

IMG_0443.JPG

On 7/20/2018 at 10:50 PM, Russell C said:

...when I went to thin one bottle of yellow with lacquer thinner to airbrush it, whatever the nail polish was made out of didn't agree with the thinner. Looked like I'd created fluid for a lava lamp.

On 7/21/2018 at 8:22 PM, Snake45 said:

I once tried to thin Poly-S paint with lacquer thinner and it turned it to Jello instantly. 

Actually, there might be a use for that if you want to prevent scratching, provide a cushion, simulate padding on a roll bar...food for thought.

Edited by BigTallDad

On 8/9/2018 at 11:40 AM, BigTallDad said:

Actually, there might be a use for that if you want to prevent scratching, provide a cushion, simulate padding on a roll bar...food for thought.

But how would I get the Jello out of the bottle? :lol: