Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Older Than Dirt" Quiz

SfanGoch

I scored 4-5, but I'm still south of 50.   I remember

Party lines--we had one at our farm in the 70s--had the black bakelite phone then also.

Restaurants w/ table side juke boxes--seen those in Waffle House and maybe Stuckeys back int the 80s

Andy Griffith Show--saw a few episodes on reruns in the 70s

Blue Flashbulbs--my folks had an old camera w/ them in the 70s

Also Drive-In theatres--but never been to one--seen them, though.. 

Edited by Rob Hall

31 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

And I don't even know what "Butch Wax" is.

Really? I'm 58 and I know what it is. :D 

Butch wax is a hair control wax, like a pomade. When you went to the barber to get a "flat top" cut, the barber would apply butch wax to your hair. It gave your haircut that perfect aircraft carrier landing deck look.

Image result for butch wax definition

6 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

Really? I'm 58 and I know what it is. :D 

Butch wax is a hair control wax, like a pomade. When you went to the barber to get a "flat top" cut, the barber would apply butch wax to your hair. It gave your haircut that perfect aircraft carrier landing deck look.

Nope, never heard of it.

My dad used "Brylcreem". :P

Steve

Older than dirt!  Oh heck yea.  When I was a kid we didn't even have dirt.  Our parents made us go out and pound two rocks together to make our own dirt!!:lol: 

Scored 95.  Only one I didn't get was telephone numbers with word prefixes.  I heard about them but we didn't have them.  Our phone number was 8184 period.  Nothing else.  We were on a party line and our ring was two longs and a short.  When you wanted to make a call you had to pick up and listen to see if someone was using the line.   

Butch Wax?  Came in a jar and was slightly pink and had a nice smell to it.  Used the heck out of it until I went off to college. 

Image result for butch wax

A couple of other things that you may or may not remember:

Raleigh tobacco coupons - kind of like Green Stamps.  One on the back of every pack of cigarettes.  Collect enough and you could go shopping.  Parents were both pack and a half a dayers.  We had boxes of the things around.  

Penny candy aisle in the store.  All kinds of candy-shoe buttons, redhots, tootsie rolls, the previously mentioned  wax Coke bottles, wax lips, cinnamon gummy bears,  etc.  All in open boxes and all just a penny each. 

How may of you remember the Lifesaver display.  That was a treat that my grandfather always got me.  Butterscotch and blackcherry were my favorites.

Image result for life savers candy store display

Also likes Reed's- they were a little larger and individually wrapped in the roll.  Hard to get the wrapper off some times. 

Image result for Reeds candy store display

Sunday comics in the news paper- Only day of the week that they were published in their own pull out section and in color. Dick Tracy, Joe Palooka, Popeye, Steve Canyon, Prince Valiant, just to name a few. Four double sided pages of pure kid enjoyment.  

Yup, I was around when dirt was invented!:lol:

Edited by Pete J.

Lets see 

#1. came back on the market in the 80's or 90's for awhile along with Clove gum, #2 Those wax bottles are still around, #3. Nope #4.Those are still around as well as the GUM ones #5.Last time I bought one from an old coke machine was in the early 1980's, #6 Touch before my time but knew about the show as a kid.,#7 Pizza hut in the late 70's, #8 Nope #9. Yes had that growing up in rual Paulding Co. Ohio., #10 nope, #11 Those once again are being produced as are record players, #12 Yes, and new balance owns and still produces those, #13 Yep I had Emegency, Gomer pyle USMC Last one was Evil K., #14. Just went to our local one Van-Del Drive in. Watched the incredibles2, Plus Antman and wasp.,#15 Nope, #16 Yes but reruns only, #17, Yes But the place closed in the early 2000's (drug store in Paulding Ohio).,#18, Yep my sisters had some old skates with the key's , #19 Yes those and the Top Value ones, also remember the catalogs from them! #20.Yes my grand parent had and used those back before they bought a polroid Camera. ( I added picture's The first is of the Van Del Drive in , And yes it has 3 movie screens. Van Del is located off Old 30 (Lincoln Highway) between Van Wert Ohio and Delphos Ohio (san the Name). They Have had people  From many other states come to the Drive in , WE seen plate's from Texas, Mass, Iowa, amoung other's!  On ( Tuesday July 17,2018)

VanDelOH_YT.jpg

Candy-Cigarettes.jpg

bubble-gum-cigarettes-4.gif

adams-gum-1.gif

wax_bottle_candy.jpg

Emergency!.jpg

Edited by ranma

For those who live in the tri-State area, Van Del will close for the season around Labor day, In  Mid-August the Drive in is open only on the weekend, Till then Monday night's are free POPCORN Night, and Tuesday Buy one admission get the second one in free. Plus your aloud to bring in your own food/Drinks (No Alcohol allowed). Gates open at 7.PM The cost is $8.00  for anyone over 12-61, 62 and over $5 or 11-6 is also $5.00 First run Movies  Each Screen plays 2 Movies Unless it's a dusk to dawn then they show 3 Movies. Check out their facebook page! Or Van-Del drive in.com

20 minutes ago, Classicgas said:

20 out of 20.

Yeah, me too.

I just tried finding a photo of what we used Butch Wax for. We called them "Duck Bills". In short, the barber would burr your entire head except for a patch in the very front about 2" - 2 1'2" wide. The Butch Wax was then used to make that little patch of hair stand straight up. Pretty much all ages of guys had Duck Bills, from 1st graders to young adults. I can't say as I recall any of the "older crowd" with one though.

I absolutely HATED the party line. Anytime someone on the party line got a call, there were different rings. We were 2 long rings, and there were several combinations on our little neighborhood. Everybody on the line knew the rings of everybody else on the line. We had a REAL nosy old gal that just couldn't wait to pick up when my sister or I received a call. What's even more humorous is that you could ALWAYS hear the "click" when somebody else picked up, so we knew when she was on the line. My sister was too good spirited to say or do anything, but I always made sure to "warm up" the old gal's ears. Some of the wild stuff I put out on that party line bordered on getting me thrown in jail, but it sure was fun!

I guess I'm nearer the "Older than Dirt" crowd! :D

I'm not familiar with the term "Butch Wax", but have certainly heard of Brylcream! I can remember party lines which we got from time to time as a kid in the '60's. I can also remember when the landlines had a different dial tone than they do now. I was a higher pitched tone, and IIRC it went to a lower pitched tone sometime in the '70's.

Drive Ins?? One of the last times I can remember going to a Drive In was to see "The Exorcist" of all movies in a Corvair back in the early '70's. Those candy cigarettes would be considered illegal today because of out of control PCism. We "smoked" those all the time when we were kids, and it did NOT turn me into smoker! I tried an actual cigarette one time in Junior High School------coughed so hard that I saw stars and that was the last time I tried smoking a cigarette!

There's one item on there that most here might remember but it's not on the list. Remember being able to cut a 45 RPM record off the back of a cereal box?? I distinctly remember cutting out The Archies "Sugar, Sugar" single out of the back of a Captain Crunch cereal box sometime during the summer of '69, and it played on my Mom's Hi-Fi set.

My sister and I deliberately ate up that box of cereal awful fast so we could hear that song! :D

20 out of 20.  I used Butch wax in the 4th and 5th grade.  Lot of the older guys used it to hold their "DA's" in place.  That is another one, the D-A hairstyle - flat top, sides combed back to look like a duck's posterior.  As far as the Drive-in, several of the Baby-Boomers and the following generation were products of those wonderful establishments.  I never saw the glass bottle milk deliveries, although my in-town cousin's folks used it; our milk came in a gallon jar from the farmer down the road.  Also have fond memories of crinoline slips, pedal pushers, cuffed blue jeans, Lucky Strikes rolled up in T-shirt sleeves, and Bee-hive hair-dos.  "After while crocodile, see you later alligator!"

26 minutes ago, MrObsessive said:

There's one item on there that most here might remember but it's not on the list. Remember being able to cut a 45 RPM record off the back of a cereal box?? I distinctly remember cutting out The Archies "Sugar, Sugar" single out of the back of a Captain Crunch cereal box sometime during the summer of '69, and it played on my Mom's Hi-Fi set.

I was thinking sometime in the early '70s.

I remember that one.

For all I know, I might still have it! :)

Steve

2 hours ago, Pete J. said:

Penny candy aisle in the store.  All kinds of candy-shoe buttons, redhots, tootsie rolls, the previously mentioned  wax Coke bottles, wax lips, cinnamon gummy bears,  etc.  All in open boxes and all just a penny each. 

How may of you remember the Lifesaver display.  That was a treat that my grandfather always got me.  Butterscotch and blackcherry were my favorites.

I remember going to a local store/restaurant as a kid called "The Palm Garden" in Aberdeen South Dakota when I was a kid visiting my grand parents.

My grandmother would give us each a quarter & send us the 6 blocks to the Palm Garden & we would each return with a lunch sized brown paper bag full to the brim with candy.

My favorite then, & still today, was "Ice Cubes".

They were half as thick back then, but were only a penny compared to 25 cents each today!

image.png.9d3655abdab0314a225e47a72429a6a1.png

Steve

My sister would go crazy from all the penny candy that was in the store which believe it or not was right next door to our house. We lived there from '66-'72, but unfortunately the owner of the store had died maybe a couple years or so after we moved there. One type of candy that I think they still make today that I know was definitely for a penny was "Mary Janes". Hard as a ROCK!!

But we loved 'em! Interesting that I had nary a cavity growing up........my sister gets that award. You'd never know that today as I'm the one with the dentures! :huh:

Ah, Raleigh and Belair cigarettes. Both included the coupons. Belairs ar still produced by R.J. Reynolds.

Every candy store when I was growing up had the penny candies on top of, and the Lifesavers display under the counter tops. Speaking of the candy aisle, get yer retro candy at Old Time Candy. I do. :) 

Remember these?

Image result for jetspray fountain machine

Jet Spray fountain machines. Used to see them in the larger candy stores, ice cream parlors and greasy spoon coffee shops with the Hamilton Beach blenders next to them.

Alphanumeric telephone exchanges were used in NYC until the mid '70s. They corresponded with specific neighborhoods in the city. Our exchange was EVergreen 3. You always knew where somebody lived by the exchange.

Steve, around these here parts,  that hairstyle was called a "D.A.", short for "duck's a**". All of the greasers  had D.A.'s.

Related image

Image result for duck ass hairstyle 1950s

Oldtimers in some neighborhoods around here still sport it as a reminder of their glory days 

1950s gang photos. Think West Side Story ... except more people died.

Edited by SfanGoch

4 hours ago, Pete J. said:

A couple of other things that you may or may not remember:

Sunday comics in the news paper- Only day of the week that they were published in their own pull out section and in color. Dick Tracy, Joe Palooka, Popeye, Steve Canyon, Prince Valiant, just to name a few. Four double sided pages of pure kid enjoyment.  

I had an aunt and uncle who gave me a Lifesaver "book" for Christmas every year. Remember those? 

Sunday comics? I still get two Sunday papers with full color comics sections. Though of the strips you mentioned, only Prince Valiant is in either of them. 

Yeah, I'm older than dirt. I remember nickel candy bars, dime pay phones, "gas wars" with fuel as low as 15-cents-per-gallon, kids could make change from a dollar, and only sailors had tattoos. Cars had points, most people weren't hugely fat, they got dressed up to travel on trains and airplanes, steam engines were still in wide service, and there was a genuine but quiet sense of pride in being an American.