Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Older Than Dirt" Quiz

SfanGoch

23 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

...most people weren't hugely fat, they got dressed up to travel on trains and airplanes...and there was a genuine but quiet sense of pride in being an American.

Just think, in only a couple more years we'll be saying things like, "I remember when people would walk down the street looking where they were going, not at their phones," and "Back in my day, if you saw someone talking out loud to no one in public, you knew you had a crazy person on your hands." :lol:

BTW, I know what newsreels are, but I don't think I ever saw one "live" at a movie. But I do remember when every movie began not with a bunch of commercials, but with one or two hilarious Warner Brothers cartoons. The hardest I ever saw my Dad laugh in his life was at a Speedy Gonzales cartoon at a movie. I don't remember what the movie was, but I remember Speedy really tickled Dad. 

Edited by Snake45

48 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Yeah, I'm older than dirt. I remember nickel candy bars, dime pay phones, "gas wars" with fuel as low as 15-cents-per-gallon, kids could make change from a dollar, and only sailors had tattoos. Cars had points, most people weren't hugely fat, they got dressed up to travel on trains and airplanes, steam engines were still in wide service, and there was a genuine but quiet sense of pride in being an American.

Ditto!

I actually remember them all. that in its self is an accomplishment at this point in time. You forgot MAD Magazine, Schwinn Bicycles, "Pegger" colored pants with the Ivy League buckle on the back. How about Flash Gordon ? Not the NASCAR kid. I remember having the milk delivered into a small door on the outside of the house. In the kitchen you would open a similar door to get the milk, and in the winter you better get it early before it froze. I remember riding home with my father, in a driving early fall snow storm, with one of the first '49 Fords in the neighborhood. I guess I don't pass wind, it is now dust.      

I'm only 48 , but I remember practically everything on that list . I have older parents (they were born in the 30's) , so I at least heard them mention things on that list ; and , in many instances , I actually saw those now-ancient products / items .

- "COX" ( Central Office eXchange ) phone number prefixes were still common around the area when I was young . I remember seeing them on business cards , painted on sides of buildings , and on service vehicles . Matter of fact , the rotary dial phones in the office of the elementary and junior high had "ZEnith-0" stickers on them ! 

- My mum was ecstatic when Black Jack and Clove gum were reintroduced , c.1985-1986 . They were her childhood favourites ( in New Castle , Pa. ) .

- Butch Wax , et al. , was still sold in the barber shop that I went to when I was young . The same barber shop whose chairs had {{{ GASP ! }}} ashtrays ! 

There's quite a bit that I remember from back then ...

... like when there were only 3 area codes in all of southern California ( 213 , 714 , and 209 ) .

We all remember the S&H Green Stamps, but how many of you remember the store that you took them to, to redeem them?  Our nearest one was 100 miles away in Cheyenne. They would also send out a catalogue.  Mom would save the stamps and I remember what a big day it was when she finally went trade them in.  She had shoe boxes full of the stamp books. 

On 7/21/2018 at 9:01 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

and there was a genuine but quiet sense of pride in being an American.

Yep!  Older than dirt....20 of 20.

It had been mentioned of cigarette coupons.....I remember being sent to the corner gas station to buy cigarettes for my parents....think I was 7 yrs old.

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 4:29 PM, Khils said:

Yep!  Older than dirt....20 of 20.

It had been mentioned of cigarette coupons.....I remember being sent to the corner gas station to buy cigarettes for my parents....think I was 7 yrs old.

That's what I used to tell the guy also. I was smart enough to quit in my 20's. 

On 7/23/2018 at 10:24 AM, Pete J. said:

We all remember the S&H Green Stamps, but how many of you remember the store that you took them to, to redeem them?  Our nearest one was 100 miles away in Cheyenne. They would also send out a catalogue.  Mom would save the stamps and I remember what a big day it was when she finally went trade them in.  She had shoe boxes full of the stamp books. 

I remember one of the catalogs had a Cessna on the cover. You could get an AIRPLANE with green stamps! :blink:

My Dad was a test/demo/sales pilot for an aircraft manufacturer, and flew all over the country a lot. One of the perks of the job was, when he gassed up the company airplane with the company credit card, he got to keep the green stamps. He'd bring home long strings of them in 50- and 100-stamp denominations. You only had to paste one of those on a page in the little green stamps book. Every so often Mom would bring out the cigar box full of stamps and we'd lick 'em and paste 'em in. I think she pretty much furnished our house on "free" green stamps. Good times. 

On 7/22/2018 at 11:09 AM, espo said:

I actually remember them all. that in its self is an accomplishment at this point in time. You forgot MAD Magazine, Schwinn Bicycles, "Pegger" colored pants with the Ivy League buckle on the back. How about Flash Gordon ? Not the NASCAR kid. I remember having the milk delivered into a small door on the outside of the house. In the kitchen you would open a similar door to get the milk, and in the winter you better get it early before it froze. I remember riding home with my father, in a driving early fall snow storm, with one of the first '49 Fords in the neighborhood. I guess I don't pass wind, it is now dust.      

I used to love Flash Gordon-that was cool !!!