Model Cars Magazine Forum

246 & 458

IJ001

Next on the bench - a pair of 'Prancing Horses':

G7sYHJ6.jpg

8niBT11.jpg

m42346Q.jpg

Fujimi's 246 'Dino' - my first 'enthusiast series' kit with a parts count of 237 according to the box-lid. Building this simply because it was the first Ferrari I ever saw in the flesh, it was pale yellow, driving through Southport sometime on a Saturday afternoon, in the early 1970's... and nobody in school would believe me when I told them on the Monday. The 458 is the RoG kit and is a much easier build !

fcgLgPQ.jpg

Prw2Ij1.jpg

V0cv8ZL.jpg

I8E9c7h.jpg

For both cars I used the same process: Mold seams rubbed-out then 'scuffed' the body-shell(s) with Tamiya 600 grit sanding pad, then primed with Tamiya grey straight from the rattle-can. Next I polished that back with 2000 grit wet'n dry and a little water. The Dino was shot with (again) Tamiya TS51 'Racing Blue', the 458 with TS14 black followed by (new) TS95 Pure Metallic Red, which to my eye is almost exactly the same tonally as Mica Red.  I applied three lightish coats to get the depth I wanted.

I gave them both 48 hours after applying the paint then used CRC 'Paint Doctor' which is NOT a polish but a chip & scuff creme you can buy here at 'Supercheap Autos' - a sort-of Halfords / NAPA Autoparts equivalent.  I'm very happy with the results and the finish on both of these could well be the best I've yet achieved. Next I'll focus on the Dino and assemble the engine & transmission (no small task) and hopefully get some pics up before next weekend.

Thanks for taking the time to look and / or comment and please feel free to ask any questions.

AFN

Ian.