Model Cars Magazine Forum

Too many pictures?

A little while back, Photo Bucket announced a change in their pricing structure, causing a great deal of animosity. Shortly after that, this forum made changes where third-party photo-hosting was no longer required. This weekend, the staff commented "We're still trying to solve a disk space problem." and I wonder if all these free photos might be contributing to the problem.

Lately, I've noticed that threads seem to contain many more photos than the Photo Bucket era. In a few cases, 40 or more photos appear in the opening comments on the thread, with only slight differences (rotated ten degrees, etc.) in each photo. Am I imagining this?

5 hours ago, BigTallDad said:

Lately, I've noticed that threads seem to contain many more photos than the Photo Bucket era. In a few cases, 40 or more photos appear in the opening comments on the thread, with only slight differences (rotated ten degrees, etc.) in each photo. Am I imagining this?

I do not think it is your imagination.  I made a similar comment a long while back, especially the number of photos with just a few degree difference in perspective.  It has always been my belief a side shot, 3/4 front and rear shot, chassis shot, engine bay, interior if convertible, and maybe a head-on front or rear shot if something interesting has been done in those areas.  Tops four or five pictures should give a fair representation of a build.  Just my thoughts.  It is up to the members to share the wealth of free posting and not get too greedy.

Dave can answer this better, but I don't think the problem is created by us being able to directly upload photos to the server.

I have noticed that a few folks post a lot of photos in a single post. I personally would put no more than 3 to 5 photos per post. If I have a lot of photos to share, I make multiple posts. That way when folks use the quote function for a reply, it only duplicates a limited amount of photos and not all 20 photos in the thread.

You can also use the quote function when replying and then delete all the unnecessary photos before you post.

We have indefinite storage for photos. Our primary disk is YUUUUUUUGE and is only 20% full. My database disk is another story, but I'll spare you that saga. 

I like the idea of only putting a handful of pictures in a post. If you do quote a post, delete the pictures you aren't responding to. That will make everything more understandable to other people reading it, and relieve us tablet users from having to scroll three miles down a thread to read all the responses. The selector goes by number of posts, not length. 

Good suggestion, but if you wanted to include one image, quoting the text only might make that difficult.

Perhaps if people would realize that, when quoting a post, images can (and probably should) be deleted.

Edited by BigTallDad

On 7/23/2018 at 5:43 PM, BigTallDad said:

Good suggestion, but if you wanted to include one image, quoting the text only might make that difficult.

Perhaps if people would realize that, when quoting a post, images can (and probably should) be deleted.

Unfortunately, that'll probably never happen. I've seen this same issue crop up on virtually every site I visit. The problem, as I see it, is that no matter how many times that suggestion is made, or how prominent the suggestion is on the site, many will never read it and just continue to quote, showing the same 12 photos, only to say "great", or something similar.

As a moderator on another site, I routinely prune photos in quotes (assuming they have no direct bearing to the reply, and very frequently they do not).

18 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Unfortunately, that'll probably never happen. I've seen this same issue crop up on virtually every site I visit. The problem, as I see it, is that no matter how many times that suggestion is made, or how prominent the suggestion is on the site, many will never read it and just continue to quote, showing the same 12 photos, only to say "great", or something similar.

Sad, but true. What if we had emoticons that said "Great" or "Nice work" etc.? That way, the respondent could merely click the icon, wouldn't have to do all that typing, and using the emoticon would preclude the display of any previous images.

14 hours ago, BigTallDad said:

Sad, but true. What if we had emoticons that said "Great" or "Nice work" etc.? That way, the respondent could merely click the icon, wouldn't have to do all that typing, and using the emoticon would preclude the display of any previous images.

Not a bad idea at all.

2 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

By reading this tonight I learned you could delete the unwanted photos when Quoting. 

Once you are into "quote" , click on the photo, it will turn blue "Highlighted", then choose cut. You can do it one photo at the time, enabling you to keep the pertinent ones if needed. Hope this helps.

7 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Not a bad idea at all.

I have seen this on other forums.  Not to be arrogant, but we are a people of words.  Little yellow smiley blobs do not adequately state what we feel.  To me, using emoticons only (I have used them as an addition in some of my posts) is just an example of laziness.  It is just as simple to type "Great model" as it is to click on the emoticon page, then search for the one you want to use, click on it then hit submit.

3 hours ago, landman said:

Once you are into "quote" , click on the photo, it will turn blue "Highlighted", then choose cut. You can do it one photo at the time, enabling you to keep the pertinent ones if needed. Hope this helps.

Or press the Delete key

2 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

I have seen this on other forums.  Not to be arrogant, but we are a people of words.  Little yellow smiley blobs do not adequately state what we feel.  To me, using emoticons only (I have used them as an addition in some of my posts) is just an example of laziness.  It is just as simple to type "Great model" as it is to click on the emoticon page, then search for the one you want to use, click on it then hit submit.

I was being facetious; note that I used italics for "all that typing".

On 8/3/2018 at 1:29 AM, peteski said:

Sometimes there is a need to keep a quoted photo in a reply. 

I agree. I'll right-click and copy the image, open MS-Paint and paste the image. This allows me to circle the area(s) I'm pointing out, then I paste that modified image into my reply.

I'll only do that once, even if the OP has posted multiple, slightly varied images...hence the original title of my post.

• 9 months later...

If you highlight the text you want to quote, a small dialog window opens that says "quote this". Click that, and yer off to the races! Just like that! :D

On 8/1/2018 at 9:06 AM, BigTallDad said:
On 7/27/2018 at 1:39 AM, 1930fordpickup said:

By reading this tonight I learned you could delete the unwanted photos when Quoting. 

Aha! We have a convert! Time to start a crusade...

6 hours ago, DaveP said:

Can i make my photos smaller so they: a. aren't so big and b. don't take up much room.

I resize my pics in MS Paint...... just open the pic, click on "resize", then put in the percentage of the original pic that you want the new pic to be. I usually make the new pic about 55% or 65% of the size that my camera works at.....

6 hours ago, JollySipper said:

I resize my pics in MS Paint...... just open the pic, click on "resize", then put in the percentage of the original pic that you want the new pic to be. I usually make the new pic about 55% or 65% of the size that my camera works at.....

Ditto. I make mine smaller as well.

Some posts have so many full size pics, they take forever to open. So I don't bother to read them.

I also delete pics from my quotes unless they are needed to make my point.

Alas, a lot of folks don't want to take the time to do these things.

I resize mine in Irfanview so that they are 800 pixels across.

I resize after I crop the photo down to just be the subject, rather than a lot of excess space around it. 

That also drops the file size down tremendously.   I cringe when people are sending out 3meg photos.

I don't know if the photo intake on the board shrinks them down upon receipt.