Model Cars Magazine Forum

Too many pictures?

• 1 month later...

I found a cause to some of the picture upload problems.

We had the file size limited to 2MB. A lot of pictures are bigger than that. I've upped the limit to 3MB, and may increase it further to 4MB. If you have problems, check the file size first. If 3 MB isn't sufficient, let me know, and I'll increase the limit further. 

On 5/31/2019 at 4:32 AM, DaveP said:

Can i make my photos smaller so they: a. aren't so big and b. don't take up much room.

While it is nice of you to do this, I don't see why anybody should be posting a 3 or 4MB photo files to the forum. A JPG file that is 3 or 4MB in size will likely be a 5 Megapixel or larger. That is  larger than can be displayed on a monitor (and on smart phone screen).  IMHO.

I post to another forum where the photo uploader automatically resizes larhe photos to 1280 pixels across. That saves lot of space (even if you have oodles available).

• 1 month later...
On 7/9/2019 at 1:34 PM, Dave Ambrose said:

I found a cause to some of the picture upload problems.

We had the file size limited to 2MB. A lot of pictures are bigger than that. I've upped the limit to 3MB, and may increase it further to 4MB. If you have problems, check the file size first. If 3 MB isn't sufficient, let me know, and I'll increase the limit further. 

Would this limit have anything to do with Fotki images not loading correctly in threads currently Dave?  Like this one, for example:

A lot of the pictures are missing, but the links lead to valid working photos (and if you quote a post with missing images they’ll appear ok in the editor).

It seems like the page loads for a few seconds and then often stops before all the images are loaded, even if the links are good.

Thanks for all you do for the site BTW - sorry to flag an issue!

Edited by CabDriver

The problem with external sites is that they can change their minds about what they'll let you link to. Photobucket rather famously disallowed free linking unless you gave them a few hundred per year. We lost all of Harry's pictures that way. It's now much better for us to host them ourselves. That way, we can't get treated that way again. 

If you do run into a size limitation, we can increase it again. Disk space is cheap, and we have rather a lot of it right now. 

1 hour ago, CabDriver said:

Would this limit have anything to do with Fotki images not loading correctly in threads currently Dave?  Like this one, for example:

A lot of the pictures are missing, but the links lead to valid working photos (and if you quote a post with missing images they’ll appear ok in the editor).

It seems like the page loads for a few seconds and then often stops before all the images are loaded, even if the links are good.

Thanks for all you do for the site BTW - sorry to flag an issue!

No. A linked image has no limit. The limit is on uploaded files.

It seems to be working fine for me as of just now. There are times when the system will slow down. People get home from work and, guess what they want to read? Yup. Us.  It can get slow late at night. It's busily making backups, and it takes a surprising amount of computing horsepower to do that.

Also, sometimes these photo hosting services have problems of their own, or the companies providing their Internet connectivity have problems. Or our hosting company has to go to battle stations. Sometimes a little box in a dark room decides it doesn't want to be a little box any more and it decides to be a fireball instead. Google sysadmin war stories for more examples. 

On 7/9/2019 at 11:45 PM, peteski said:

While it is nice of you to do this, I don't see why anybody should be posting a 3 or 4MB photo files to the forum. A JPG file that is 3 or 4MB in size will likely be a 5 Megapixel or larger. That is  larger than can be displayed on a monitor (and on smart phone screen).  IMHO.

I post to another forum where the photo uploader automatically resizes larhe photos to 1280 pixels across. That saves lot of space (even if you have oodles available).

Bingo!  I totally agree.  I generally resize my images to 800 pixels across when I post to the site.  I use a free application called  Irfanview to do this. I also crop my images to the relevant item, then resize.   Very easy to do so.   I will teach anyone who asks!   

13 minutes ago, Dave Ambrose said:

No. A linked image has no limit. The limit is on uploaded files.

It seems to be working fine for me as of just now. There are times when the system will slow down. People get home from work and, guess what they want to read? Yup. Us.  It can get slow late at night. It's busily making backups, and it takes a surprising amount of computing horsepower to do that.

Also, sometimes these photo hosting services have problems of their own, or the companies providing their Internet connectivity have problems. Or our hosting company has to go to battle stations. Sometimes a little box in a dark room decides it doesn't want to be a little box any more and it decides to be a fireball instead. Google sysadmin war stories for more examples. 

So should I start posting photos directly from my hard drive?

I like using Fotki, but if photos aren't showing up, it kind of defeats the purpose.

It's strange because the photos always show up on my desk top, no matter if I'm posting them from Fotki, or anybody else is posting them, no matter how they do it.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

2 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I like using Fotki, but if photos aren't showing up, it kind of defeats the purpose.

Steve

Please post them straight to the site. Sooner or later,  these photo sharing companies that are losing money will have to do something to increase their revenues, and they won't much care how their users feel about it. 

Just now, Dave Ambrose said:

Please post them straight to the site. Sooner or later,  these photo sharing companies that are losing money will have to do something to increase their revenues, and they won't much care how their users feel about it. 

Okay.

I will still use Fotki because I like to keep some of my photos "off site", but I'll start posting them here directly from my computer.

I guess it really doesn't matter to me as I keep them all on my hard drive as well.

Steve

On 8/16/2019 at 8:39 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

The Fotki missing pictures lately is a Fotki thing, not this site.  I'm seeing the same thing on the Spotlight board.  If you refresh or click on the icon, the picture will appear.  

23 hours ago, charlie8575 said:

I had asked elsewhere, but how do I add photos for the internal storage?

Charlie Larkin

The usual way is to open Windows Explorer (or the Mac equivalent). Then, drag and drop the files to the paperclip at the bottom of your reply. They will get uploaded to our server. After they upload, you put the cursor where you want the photo, and click on the lower left corner of the photo you want to insert. That will include it in the posting. Do that for all the photos and you're done.

You can also copy photos from your browser, and paste them directly into your posts. 

• 2 weeks later...

Once uploaded to this server / account. is there a way to delete photos?

I'm getting  tired rummaging thru multiple pictures here  to find the one I need,  as most of the ones I have here are in long dead threads and I would really like to just delete them

2 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

I'm getting  tired rummaging thru multiple pictures here  to find the one I need,  as most of the ones I have here are in long dead threads and I would really like to just delete them

I think you would have to go to the individual posts and manually delete the photos. Forums like this depend on their content, like uploaded photos, so I think the software developers may have purposely made it difficult to delete them. We would rather you not delete photos that were uploaded to the server. We would like the photos to remain an integral part of the threads they are associated with. I think it is important to point out that this site is not a photo hosting site, like Fotki and Photo Bucket. It is setup to easily upload photos into our posts. While it may be possible to access the photos after they are uploaded, that is not what the storage space is supposed to be used for.

For what it's worth.... due to inflation my two bucks.  I've seen the Photo*ucket debacle, glad I never used that site.  I have used Flickr for several years, they went through a tech upgrade that pissed off many members, me included.  But it seems to have settled down, so once in a while I will link a picture (testing now).
2253663374_9447382d60_b.jpg

I've been using my Nikon lately, so been downsizing the pictures to 1920 x ___.  I noticed one topic where someone posted a truckload of pictures, it spazzed out for a minute, really annoying!  Trying to not abuse the host.

5 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

For what it's worth.... due to inflation my two bucks.  I've seen the Photo*ucket debacle, glad I never used that site...

The P-bucket debacle only affected the free users. I've been paying about $3 a month since day one (they weren't getting any ad revenue from me, because I chose to use an ad-blocker to make the site load faster...and avoid the idiot screaming hysterical blanging-music marketing BS for useless garbage I'd never buy in a zillion years anyway), and my photos never stopped working...to this day.

When you get free stuff, don't feel cheated when you get exactly what you pay for.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

4 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

The P-bucket debacle only affected the free users. I've been paying about $3 a month since day one (they weren't getting any ad revenue from me, because I chose to use an ad-blocker to make the site load faster...and avoid the idiot screaming hysterical blanging-music marketing BS for useless garbage I'd never buy in a zillion years anyway), and my photos never stopped working...to this day.

When you get free stuff, don't feel cheated when you get exactly what you pay for.

You've had a charmed life.  Flickr ****ed up their site, effected *everyone* paid or not.

On 8/30/2019 at 3:26 PM, Xingu said:

I think you would have to go to the individual posts and manually delete the photos. Forums like this depend on their content, like uploaded photos, so I think the software developers may have purposely made it difficult to delete them. We would rather you not delete photos that were uploaded to the server. We would like the photos to remain an integral part of the threads they are associated with. I think it is important to point out that this site is not a photo hosting site, like Fotki and Photo Bucket. It is setup to easily upload photos into our posts. While it may be possible to access the photos after they are uploaded, that is not what the storage space is supposed to be used for.

Nope,

I just went to several posts ive made and not one has the option to edit the post or delete photos

On 8/30/2019 at 2:48 PM, gtx6970 said:

As Mike said, the short answer is 'no'.

It's not clear to me what your intent is with locating images hosted here on the site via the upload attachment option (versus using a photohosting site), but f you are asking how to more efficiently locate images you have uploaded to the forum, try this. Click on the down arrow to the right of your screen name on the forum's home page, then select "My Attachments", like so (cursor does not appear in a screenshot, but you can see the "My Attachments" is highlighted a lighter shade of blue-grey below):

image.png.8e956f7cc7d46a8dbe235781e21e7625.png

After clicking the "My Attachements" tab, you'll see something like this, showing all the images you've uploaded:

image.png.47be412c5e6412cf877caacf82f7a161.png

Not sure if that helps or not, but I think for a few topics, you could ask a Moderator to remove any dead links or images if you provide them with the post link.