Model Cars Magazine Forum

I found a IMAI KAGAKU Ferrari 365P Kit 1/16 Scale set. Is it more valuable put together or no?

So this past Saturday, I purchased a

1961 IMAI KAGAKU Ferrari 365P Kit 1/16 Scale Kit,

at an estate sale for $4.

It's in the original box, but the top of the box has a rip maybe 12" long.

It seems their sons at one point started to build it, but never finished.

I haven't double checked yet, but it seems all of the pieces are there.

Most of the pieces are still in the plastic sheets, not yet broken off, but they started to build the body (back in the 1960's that is).

(There was even a roll of old tape in the box, I didn't know it was tape at first, because it looked like a bronze metal ring stuck to the box. I guess that's what 57 year old tape looks like!)

In your opinions, would it be worth more to keep it as it is?

Or to assemble it.

Where is the best place to find fair offers?

Thanks!

-New & Interested

20180721_233348.jpg

20180721_233423.jpg

One recently sold on eBay for a little under $90. It was mint in the box.

This one is started and in a damaged box, so it should be worth considerably less. I would build it!

Just a reminder to everyone that buying/selling is not allowed on this site.

Just now, Xingu said:

One recently sold on eBay for a little under $90. It was mint in the box.

This one is started and in a damaged box, so it should be worth considerably less. I would build it!

Just a reminder to everyone that buying/selling is not allowed on this site.

Thanks for the input! 

Yes I saw the one on ebay, but it seems to be the one and only example on the entire site (Including for sale and sold)

I can't find any for sale right now anywhere, and that sale was an auction, usually those go under the actual price.

And of course, I wasn't looking to sell it here, just wanted to get some expert opinions on what to do with it!

Thanks again for the response!

It's worth...about $4.  The last one of these that sold on eBay went for $87 and it was in unopened and unstarted condition inside, and had a 8/10 box.  You're missing a great deal of the inner packaging, and it looks like the kit is about 1/3rd of the way built - mediocrely - by said kid, and unless it's rolling around in the box all of the pieces that make the suspension "function" (and buildable) are gone.  IMAI is also well know for making kits that were "dartboard" efforts in term of accuracy, and these 1/16th scale kits are basically de-motorized R/C cars with some innards added after the fact.

s-l500.jpg.d50469c27e6b3c5781894e9366be9a14.jpg

Unless you want to build it yourself, it's of no significant value as it sits, sorry...

• 2 weeks later...