Model Cars Magazine Forum

Createx Gloss Top Coat

I'm using Createx 5604 Gloss Top Coat as a final clear for a high-metallic paint job, the plan is to use many coats for depth.  It dries quite rapidly to touch (10-15 min even with a fairly heavy coat), but when is the best time to re-coat?  I've been giving it at least an hour, sometimes more, and it seems to be working.  But I don't want to create a won't-ever-dry mess...

Any advice on how to best apply a massive number of clear coats?

Thanks in advance,
Garry

Edited by Harpo

You really don't need to use any sort of drying device (dehydrator, hair dryer, etc.) with Createx paints. Just let it air dry between coats and don't put them on too heavy. I usually wait about 5 minutes between each of the first two or three mist coats and then about 10 minutes between each of the wet coats. Haven't had any problems so far. I'm going to post so pics of a Porsche 917K that I did in Createx paint. Look for it.

The last time I shot it was for the Porsche and I reduced it 35% using their reduction charts. 35% reduction for a 20 ml batch was 8 ml of paint, 5 ml of 4030 Balancing Clear and 7 ml of 4012 Reducer. Really went on smooth, tight and thin.

I'm particularly interested in how your clear turns out. I've bought a bottle of their gloss clear but after exchanging emails with them, I'm thinking you may not get a gloss like any of the more popular clears like Tamiya, Model Master, etc. It might work well for early era builds where original finishes weren't super glossy. Let us know how it turns out.

22 hours ago, Miatatom said:

You really don't need to use any sort of drying device (dehydrator, hair dryer, etc.) with Createx paints. Just let it air dry between coats and don't put them on too heavy. I usually wait about 5 minutes between each of the first two or three mist coats and then about 10 minutes between each of the wet coats. Haven't had any problems so far. I'm going to post so pics of a Porsche 917K that I did in Createx paint. Look for it.

The last time I shot it was for the Porsche and I reduced it 35% using their reduction charts. 35% reduction for a 20 ml batch was 8 ml of paint, 5 ml of 4030 Balancing Clear and 7 ml of 4012 Reducer. Really went on smooth, tight and thin.

I'm particularly interested in how your clear turns out. I've bought a bottle of their gloss clear but after exchanging emails with them, I'm thinking you may not get a gloss like any of the more popular clears like Tamiya, Model Master, etc. It might work well for early era builds where original finishes weren't super glossy. Let us know how it turns out.

Good information on using Createx. I also bought a bottle of Gloss Clear but have yet to try it. From what I read elsewhere I don't believe it will give a finish like Tamiya  or the others. Looks like  it will make a good intercoat clear for masking.

Edited by Jon Haigwood

6 hours ago, Jon Haigwood said:

Good information on using Createx. I also bought a bottle of Gloss Clear but have yet to try it. From what I read elsewhere I don't believe it will give a finish like Tamiya  or the others. Looks like  it will make a good intercoat clear for masking.

That's a great idea using the clear as an intercoat clear for masking. Thanks! I highly recommend visiting the Createx website createxcolors.com to view a number of videos explaining how to use their products. Really good info there. Folks that think that Createx is just another acrylic paint like the stuff at Michaels are incorrect. It's a different animal and I like it.