Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '29 Roadster, Late '50s Style

I bought this when it first came out, but It's only recently that I figured out what to do with it.  My original intent was to replicate a famous early roadster, but the modified wheelwells meant I would have to rework them back to stock, and since Round 2 was happy to sell me a Model A roadster that I didn't have to alter,  I shelved that idea.   I decided to go instead to go for something where the reworked wheelwells were part of the design. In this case I figured it was something you'd do if you wanted fenders on a channeled body.  The other inspirations were some footage in an old drag racing film of a Deuce roadster sporting an early Hemi with a Latham blower, and this cover to a Henry Gregor Felsen novel.

il_570xN.157427198.jpg

So it's going to end up being a late '50s style rod with bobbed fenders in the rear, and cycle fenders up front.

29Roadster1.jpg.403337fe3b298f1f2482175cd556527a.jpg29Roadster2.jpg.666a0940b0e4be8a5543463b98d467e5.jpg

The rear fenders are from the previous issue of AMT's '29 roadster kit.  The front fenders are from the Double T kit, as is the Latham supercharger.  The Deuce grille shell is from the parts box, while the engine, wheels, and tires are from the latest "Mod Rod" edition of AMT's '29 A roadster.

Edited by Richard Bartrop

2 hours ago, mvadrag said:

Hey, I think I read that book back when I was in high school.

Are you going to "bob" the fenders like the illustration?  That would look pretty cool.

It's not going to be an exact recreation of the cover,  but the fenders will end up getting a bit of a trim.

This is one case where having the radiussed wheel arches actually helps because a lot of channelled cars with fenders had them welded up higher on the body. I can't wait to see how it looks with the trimmed fenders - this is a style I have had in mind ever since I bought the Revell kits.  Yeah, just a smidge is all it needs at the back.

Cheers

Alan

I wanted a more period correct looking rear end, so I lopped off the back of the frame, and replaced it with a crossmember from an AMT Model A frame. The rear spring is from a Revell '29 pickup, and the quickchange center section is from the parts bin.  I've attached the new axle to the frame like the old one to make it easier to measure out all the linkages and mounting points, and to let me make scale looking hardware without having to worry if it will actually support anything.

29Roadster6.jpg.0046cb97921e5243e501e7a3cf6c4774.jpg

It's tight, but the engine fits.  Revell's '29 Roadster supplied the carbs.   I made a new set of pulleys for the blower, but I am thinking I should invest in one of those Molotow pens.

29Roadster7.jpg.17411df342b931138ed42b24eb2103b2.jpg

As for paint,  I'm thinking a dark metallic red like the Tommy Ivo T for the body, and the same colour for the frame and running gear,  but I'm also pondering doing the frame in gold to match the engine, or even white.

• 2 weeks later...

I trimmed the back a little, and added some quarter round rod along the bottom.  The dash is an extra part from the Revell '29 that isn't listed in the instructions.  The hole is just the right size and shape for a proper period style instrument panel, but since I don't find one in the box, I decided to build one from scratch.  Since I don't have a punch, I just thinned out some evergreen tubing and sanded down the slices to make the bezels.

29Roadster8.jpg.6475398fd6c5cfaeb0e9a1e7055b898d.jpg

I put the finished panel on the scanner to make a template for the gauges.  They're based on vintage Stewart-Warner gauges, though I didn't have a font that was an exact match for was S-W used.  However, since the finished gauge faces are going to be 3/16" and 1/8" across, I figured I could live with it.

Guages.jpg.1edf1982a6968e42c4a2dbd58579cd89.jpg

19 hours ago, High octane said:

Lookin' great so far Richard and I really like where you're going with it. I read that book by Henry Gregor Felsen so long ago, that it's just a faded memory.

It's been a while for me too.,  I saw the cover while looking for a Henry Gregor Felsen website,  and basically a light went on.

I started on the rear suspension.  Between picking the brains of the experts here, and browsing the H.A.M.B.   I've hopefully whipped up a convincing set of period ladder bars.

29Roadster9.jpg.58623c7f653509a29e6829f7ea8ee363.jpg

For something a little different, a set of Lincoln taillights from a Revell custom '48 Ford coupe I picked up for the parts.

29Roadster10.jpg.17bed980b7090ae8848de9b76e358eb7.jpg

Thanks for the compliments!  

Rummaging through, my parts, I came across a set of wheels rom AMT's '49 Mrc that were the same style as the ones in the Mod Rod, but shallower, so I replaced the front wheels. 

29Roadster13.jpg.6332fcc4ba78d4a6ccc5df73abeecce9.jpg

When figuring out the dashboard it seemed appropriate to have a tach as well as a speedometer, and I'd already decided on a five gauge instrument panel, so I decided to do a little research to see how it was handled back in the day.  I came across this photo of the dash of Norm Wallace's '32 ford roadster.  An extra gauge is in a bracket below the dash, but it's the speedometer, with the tach placed front and centre in the instrument panel, so that's the setup I decided to go with.

60hrannualnormwallace32ford.jpg

So I scratched up a speedo, and a bracket to go with it.

29Roadster14.jpg.333af1976cc2dc6dd9e2d5e006c1bcec.jpg