Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rubber Duck Mack Update 8/16/18

I've started the AITM Rubber Duck Mack.  I'll be posting some of my thoughts along the way, as well as some photos.  First issue is the fuel tanks.  The early AITM Kits came with short tanks, and their website and instructions still show this.  The kit now includes long tanks as that seems to be the version seen most often in the movie.  The first unit truck had the longer tanks.  I will probably end up doing my own tanks as the kit tanks have 3 straps while the movie truck only has 2.  The steps are also different and I have parts coming from Auslowe that should enable me to replicate the movie look a little better.

167851778.jpg

I started work on the chassis, the resin frame was almost perfectly straight out of the box.  It appears to have some metal reinforcement.  I've been cleaning parts and going thru things for a while now as well as doing some research.  One thing I found was that someone on a different forum thought the space between the duals waas too wide.  After taking a look I decided that the gap did look too wide so I narrowed it.  It might still be a tad too wide, but looks ok to my eye.

The rear suspension went together ok, some adjustment needed to get the unit to sit square on the chassis.  I will be doing a mock-up of the cab next to be sure the front axle placement is where it should be.  That's about it for now, not much progress but I don't have much time this time of year.  With a rainy week ahead, I might actually get something accomplished.  I do my chassis work on a sheet of glass as seen in the photos below as it is the easiest way I've found to have a totally flat surface to work on.

167851779.jpg

167851780.jpg

Edited by Warren D

12 minutes ago, dshue76 said:

I'm looking forward to watching this build come together, It's a subject I always had an interest in but never attempted.

Those are copies of the GMC General/Chevy Bison tanks.

Well, it'll be a first for me, first all-resin build.  I've done some conversions and a few 3D prints, but never all resin.  Should be interesting.  I will be making my own tanks, and have parts on their way for that.  I did get the front axle mounted a couple of days ago, will have to post a pic.  The front axle needs to move forward a hair to make the front tires sit right in the wheel wells.  Working on the cab next, getting the back of the cab as well as the back of the interior cut out for the pass thru for the sleeper.

As I have mentioned before, I have this kit...so I will follow your progress.

Regarding the tanks, it's not only the straps that are wrong, the steps are too short and the fillers are at the wrong place, they are in the middle of the tanks length wise in the movie as can be seen in the picture below (both sides are the same).

convoy3.jpg.6fe028ee29b313b3f4dd71427312a231.jpg

I don't know but is the hood side emblem fixed, the ones in my kit reads RL700L, RL stands for R Western model with Lightweight frame (Aluminum), the movie truck had RS700L emblems and the RS stands for R Western model with Steel frame...slightly different but it should be right.
The last L after the 700 stand for lightweight components on the cab, aluminum doors etc.

Edited by Force

I did mention the steps in the original post, and will cover the tank build when I get to them.  I don't have the emblem cast in but there are a pair of silver decals that read RL700L.  I haven't inspected all the little bits yet so there may be something else.  The silver decals appear too large for the hood anyway.

Warren
Yeah, the decals are too large...and wrong...and silver doesn't look that good.
It would be nice to have photo etch emblems, there are some etch sets available but not with the right emblems.

Tim
Nice pictures but most of them are unfortunately out of focus and it's a little hard to see details on them, but thanks for your effort.

7 minutes ago, PettyKW43 said:

For accurate fuel tanks I would suggest that you get a set from the AMT Mack Cruiseliner kit and shorten them . If you are going full detail with an engine the kit will also gain you the correct engine and air cleaner as well.

Thanks but I have plans to make them from scratch.  I have rod stock in hand and step material coming from Auslowe.  Tank straps and fill will be scratch also.  I'm not planning on doing a detailed engine, but do have one and a ten speed tranny in the parts bin.

Good to hear! I will follow you progress on this one , I watched the movie for years , freeze framed thousands of times, built one back in 78 when the movie came out before the awful ERTL kit ( I did end up buying it for the decals and bumper guard and hood ornament). I just started cleaning up the old build , l am leaving it as is though , if I started to correct it I would end up building it from scratch so I will just build a new one and have the old build to show how far I have progressed in my building skills!

Watching this.  I built this kit not long after it came out! LOve to see the different changes people make to it to make it more accurate. I made my own fuel tanks also. I even changed the wheels and tire, because the kit set looked just way to big to me. I even put a taller wind deflector on top, but don't remember which other kit it came from! Can't wait to see your version!

images.jpg

Small update.  Mounted the front axle and learned that I should have attached the inner fenderwells and fender extensions as they change the location of the hood/cab slightly.  Cut out the pass thru for the cab in the cab back and interior.  Starting to dry fit the cab/sleeper on the frame.

167981240.jpg

167981241.jpg

167981243.jpg

Edited by Warren D

• 6 months later...

Bumping this one back up as work has resumed.  I've been chair-bound with a nasty cold and watched Convoy, so that renewed my interest in a build that had stalled.  Shot some primer this afternoon, need to start looking at all the parts again and figure out a new game plan.

• 1 month later...

Fuel tanks are mostly done, working on the steps.

I used a plastic rod, Auslowe tank straps and mounts.

169112327.jpg

I've also done custom brackets for the air deflector

169112328.jpg

169112329.jpg

The chassis is close to done, need mudflaps and to mount the tanks.

169112330.jpg

Cab and sleeper are in color, decals next once the paint sets up.

169112331.jpg

6 minutes ago, gotnitro? said:

Wow it's looking very good  ! Nice decision to make several corrected parts 

Thanks, I like the first unit truck from the movie and the tanks are a big part of the look.  I'm also changing the look of the air filter to be closer to the original.  I think I'll also pass on the "kit" mirror brackets and do my own like I did for the Autocar mixer a few years back.  I still need to get a good color for the bull bar, looks like a gray/white/silver but seems to change with every scene!

• 4 weeks later...

Slow progress, just adding a few pieces once in a while and lots of time waiting for the glue to dry.  Using mostly white glue at this point, the super glues fog the clear plastic windows and mistakes clean up better.  Waiting for some .030 and .040 wire to arrive for the mirrors.  Chrome is either BMF or Molotow Liquid Chrome.

169233464.jpg