Model Cars Magazine Forum

Best option for a donor...

Hello guys

Ok. Foose´s cars are always a trouble subject. Some like, some don´t.

Well, I kinda like it. Not 100% of his cars, but I appreciate almost all of them

And one is '65 Chevy Impala Impostor.

Once there is no complete kit of '09 Corvette (only a few snap versions from AMT), what would be the best donor instead of? I mean, I´m not a big expert on Vettes, but are the 2008, 2010 alike in terms of engine & suspension? Could I use a close year model or would be better to get a '06 Z06 from Revell for mechanical parts and the '09 from AMT for the interior parts?

Thanks

1 hour ago, Drago said:

...are the 2008, 2010 alike in terms of engine & suspension? 

Both are the "C6" version of the Corvette. The C6 was built from 2005-2013, so any of those years will provide correct donor mechanical guts.

Air cleaners, some engine details, and interior bits MAY differ between specific years and trim packages, but they're ALL basically the same car...including the Z06, ZR1, and Grand Sport.

PS. Some kits may have a manual gearbox, others may have an automatic. If that makes a difference, I don't know which one you'll want.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

1 hour ago, Drago said:

Hello guys

Ok. Foose´s cars are always a trouble subject. Some like, some don´t.

If you are going to build this, you have your work cut out for you. The Imposter has a laundry list of mods, some so subtle, they are hard to put your finger on. I wish you nothing but luck on this. I look forward to seeing the work.

The Revell 2005 C6 Corvette would be the best donor for the Corvette chassis. Imposter was built on a modified base model Corvette frame.  Amazingly, the base model Corvette chassis is the correct width for the Impala body - like the Corvette was built for it.  Wheels/tires and suspension for the Grand Sport or Z06 C6 Corvette would be too wide.  The Corvette chassis was lengthened for Imposter - I can't remember the exact number but there is plenty of reference material out there.

2 hours ago, Jantrix said:

If you are going to build this, you have your work cut out for you. The Imposter has a laundry list of mods, some so subtle, they are hard to put your finger on.

dlerexamplecar_gauge1425932761-vi.jpg.61b6d5c26b7807c302b1c0274c367f1b.jpg

And to think we could've gotten this straight from Revell, instead of that frumpy Cadillac. -_-

Imposter-4.jpg

Edited by Casey

Casey, that's the photo I was thinking of. great reference. 

More good detail photos of the 2015 Detroit Autorama are posted here on the forum.  Credit and Thank You to Howard Cohen and Tim Boyd for my annual Autorama fix.  (I wish the show people would crank up the lights on set up day.)

On 23/07/2018 at 5:49 PM, BigTallDad said:

A simple Google search shows the 2008, 2009, and 2010 Corvettes all have the same wheelbase: 105.7"

yeap, but that is not the real issue once the Vette chassi was lengthened for the Ompostor. My doubt is regarding other parts ;-)

Thanks anyway ;-)

Ace-Garageguy

many thanks for your insights my friend. Very usefull!!! Exactly what I was in need...

On 23/07/2018 at 6:29 PM, Jantrix said:

If you are going to build this, you have your work cut out for you. The Imposter has a laundry list of mods, some so subtle, they are hard to put your finger on. I wish you nothing but luck on this. I look forward to seeing the work.

Jantrix, that´s exactly kinda work I go deep in the hobby. I just love to cut, merge, modifie, etc etc... Hope to start a topic very soon ;-) Thanks

On 23/07/2018 at 8:40 PM, Casey said:

And to think we could've gotten this straight from Revell, instead of that frumpy Cadillac. -_-

Imposter-4.jpg

Casey, yeah, that's true... almost... too bad, I think! Thanks for the photo. At least I have the right wheels ready to go already!

On 23/07/2018 at 7:52 PM, Muncie said:

The Revell 2005 C6 Corvette would be the best donor for the Corvette chassis. Imposter was built on a modified base model Corvette frame.  Amazingly, the base model Corvette chassis is the correct width for the Impala body - like the Corvette was built for it.  Wheels/tires and suspension for the Grand Sport or Z06 C6 Corvette would be too wide.  The Corvette chassis was lengthened for Imposter - I can't remember the exact number but there is plenty of reference material out there.

More good detail photos of the 2015 Detroit Autorama are posted here on the forum.  Credit and Thank You to Howard Cohen and Tim Boyd for my annual Autorama fix.  (I wish the show people would crank up the lights on set up day.)

Muncie, thank you so much for the inputs. Right on point. I have plenty of photos, measurements, etc etc. Also made a visit tour in 2013 at Foose´s Shop and could see in person the Impostor being fabricated (was in baremetal yet). Reference material is enough for me. I just need the right kit(s) in order to start this project.

Gonna grab some Vettes, fellas!

Thank you so much guys. I really appreciated that!

Edited by Drago

I have no problems with Foose's kits. The more kits being released the better. My only problem is the same as with Boyd. They take nice pristine original or restored cars and hack them up. If they took cars needing work and made something of them that would be great and I would respect their work a lot more, but the original cars are a very limited commodity and I hate to see them lost.

• 2 weeks later...