Model Cars Magazine Forum

1930 Ford Coupe Flathead Hot Rod

Dennis Lacy

Fresh off the workbench! Based on Revell's short-lived '30 Ford Coupe hot rod kit. Heavily modified. 

- Revell '48 Ford frame center "X" member, Revell '29 Pickup rear cross member.

- Kit bashed Halibrand Quick Change rear axle and spring.

- Revell '32 5-Window front axle & suspension with modified shocks and mounting.

- Revell '48 Ford brake plates and kit finned drums, '48 Ford master cylinder.

- Revell '48 Ford Custom Coupe Navarro - equipped flathead engine with home made zoomie headers, plug wires and fuel/oil plumbing.

- American mag wheels with tall & narrow M&H slicks and bias ply front tires.

- Kit interior with Covico 3-spoke steering wheel and bench seat.

- Roof insert panel modified with added louvers and painted aluminum, Revell '32 5-Window louvered trunk lid, modified kit '32 grill & shell and '36 Ford headlights.

- Duplicolor Red with Tamiya clear rubbed out with Adam's correcting polish and coated in Adam's Buttery Wax.

DSCN6853-vi.jpg

DSCN6855-vi.jpg

DSCN6831-vi.jpg

DSCN6823-vi.jpg

DSCN6822-vi.jpg

DSCN6818-vi.jpg

DSCN6834-vi.jpg

DSCN6813-vi.jpg

DSCN6842-vi.jpg

DSCN6826-vi.jpg

DSCN6839-vi.jpg

DSCN6847-vi.jpg

Comments, good and bad, welcomed!

B)

• Like 1

A nice, believable hot rod right there, Dennis.  Not a tetanus risking rat rod, not an over the top magazine cover car, just a nice simple, drivable (with ear plugs!) hot rod.  I love the detail on the radiator hose clamps and the way you grafted the 48 x-member in there. Actually, you've just given me inspiration for a 1:1 build I have planned for the future.  It's a 29 coupe that will rest on seriously reworked original deuce rails.  It never occurred to me before but I have a mint '35 X member stacked down the side of my house with other components and it would be a real cool way of keeping the chassis looking early 60's cool while aiming for 21st century chassis rigidity. Thanks for a look at your model and an idea for my full sized project!

Cheers

Alan

Super smooth paint and the roof insert really sets it all off. Your chassis and engine modifications to the kit are pretty much the was it was done on the 1 on 1 cars. Perfect look and cleanly detailed.

2 hours ago, TooOld said:

Great job as always sourcing parts from other kits , this is a sharp looking coupe !  Love the detailed flattie !

Only thing I'd change is the roof insert .  Maybe if it fit the curve of the roof better ? :)

Thanks!

I was waiting for someone to point it out. It actually did fit perfectly when it was all bare plastic. Too tight clearances, too much paint!!! 

Great model. I love the overall attitude. At first it made me overlook all the neat details that were added. Like the cool (I assume RB motion) fittings on the beehive filter. The 48 Ford is one of those kits that should be reissued regularly, because they are like a treasure cove for parts, aside from the fact they build into fine models right out of the box. All the louvers are cool. What I have noticed is that the top panel is not a great fitting piece on the original kit too. I had hard time having it sitting right even on an out of the box build. Let alone when you have modified it. 

Last but not least I want to give you big koudos for  building this, because since the prices for this kit have taken off big time, there are not many people building them. And I believe kits are meant to be built, not piled in basements.