Model Cars Magazine Forum

Removing Paint

I have a large 1/10th scale car kit and need to remove the paint from. It may be either Acrylic or Enamel spray paint, as it has that awful 'orange peel' effect.

Can you advise me please?

• Sad 1

At that scale, I kinda doubt that it's a die-cast model, but you never know. Of what material is the model made? The type of material has an impact on the paint removal solvents to be used. For example, Acetone can be used to strip die-cast models; Acetone will, however, reduce plastic models to molten blobs.

There's no reason that you can't use Super Clean to strip a 1/8th scale body.

I buy mine in one gallon jugs.

Just get a bigger tub large enough for the body & fill it with Super Clean.

After stripping, return it to the jug.

If it's enamel, the Super Clean will strip it very quickly.

Steve

I just did an experiment stripping paint off a model. I tried 3 types of stripper before I was able to get all the paint removed. I first used PineSol then I tried Purple Power (Purple Pond) and last I used brake fluid. The first 2 I used were ok and do no damage. The model soaked for days and not an issue. Except the paint didn't remove completely. Then I used brake fluid. I checked it out just 4 hours of soaking and the paint just fell off. I wouldn't soak the model in brake fluid over night as it would end up a pile of plastic in the end. I made a video of it but didn't get it posted yet. I need to edit the video before posting. I will share the video as soon as I post it.

I've also used other things and I'll say you need to be careful. I soaked a model in alcohol and it turned the model into a plastic pile of goooo.

Dave
Scale Model Junkie

3 hours ago, railbuilderdhd said:

I just did an experiment stripping paint off a model. I tried 3 types of stripper before I was able to get all the paint removed. I first used PineSol then I tried Purple Power (Purple Pond) and last I used brake fluid. The first 2 I used were ok and do no damage. The model soaked for days and not an issue. Except the paint didn't remove completely. Then I used brake fluid. I checked it out just 4 hours of soaking and the paint just fell off. I wouldn't soak the model in brake fluid over night as it would end up a pile of plastic in the end. I made a video of it but didn't get it posted yet. I need to edit the video before posting. I will share the video as soon as I post it.

I've also used other things and I'll say you need to be careful. I soaked a model in alcohol and it turned the model into a plastic pile of goooo.

Dave
Scale Model Junkie

Nix on the Purple Power.

If you want to determine the true results of the "purple pond", use Super Clean.

It is much more powerful than Purple Power.

I have tried both.

I have not used brake fluid in years mostly because of the fact that it is much more difficult to dispose of when it has come to the end of it's usefulness, but as far as I know, guys have used it for years & have had no issues with it damaging the plastic.

Alcohol works as well, but I reserve it for things like removing primer or anything where it does not need to soak for too long.

I have heard that it can make the plastic brittle.

I have removed paint on bodies that were painted with multiple coats of automotive lacquer and clear coat, (as many as 5 coats of each) with Super Clean & after soaking for a few days the paint will come off in sheets leaving only some of the primer which can then be stripped with alcohol.

It's absolutely safe for the plastic & it is biodegradable, so disposal is much easier.

Enamel paints can usually be removed down to bare plastic in a very short period of time with Super Clean. (usually within an hour or so).

These bodies were stripped of their enamel paint in an overnight soak of Super Clean.

They don't get much cleaner than this! :)

Steve

2v2uKSZzFxwUbWP.jpg2v2JGujf5xwUbWP.jpg2v2JKyCPCxwUbWP.jpg2v2JKyCkixwUbWP.jpg2v2ueBLWVxwUbWP.jpg2v2ueBLdWxwUbWP.jpg

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

I have heard that multiple dunks in brake fluid can eventually turn styrene brittle. When I first heard of using brake fluid as a paint stripper in the late 80s, I was skeptical so I put some in a small bottle and tossed in a junk wheel. I left it there for years and it appeared fine, though I don't recall if I actually checked it for brittleness.

On 25/07/2018 at 3:08 AM, BigTallDad said:

At that scale, I kinda doubt that it's a die-cast model, but you never know. Of what material is the model made? The type of material has an impact on the paint removal solvents to be used. For example, Acetone can be used to strip die-cast models; Acetone will, however, reduce plastic models to molten blobs.

It's a Pocher Mercedes Benz Cabrio 1930's. The body is all plastic, but the rest is as the real thing, metal chassis etc.

Thanks guys. The one big problem is that I'm in the UK, where most of what you suggest is not available, only the brake fliuid. Mine isn't working that well but the can has been in the garage fo 20+ years and is most likely full of water as it picks up condensation in the air very easily . 

I've had mine in this Lock and Lock (tupperware) container for at least 6-7 yrs .,...

5b5a8f7d0a31d_IMG_6442(750x563).jpg.25730825e9829e1b9c3561363e5075d3.jpg

Still strips paint in 3 - 4 hrs,...any filler in the body work, ie:Bondo, squadron, tamiya, ..doesn't make it out the other end very well,...

but another thin coat and sand works

• 2 weeks later...

Stripping paint in our hobby depends on 2 main things.

1) Type of paint

2) Material that is painted (resin,metal,plastic)

For stripping die casts, Aircraft Stripper usually works on just about any type of paint

For stripping Tamiya and Testors lacquers, 91% alcohol usually works best, but test first because it can have different effects on different materials

Fro stripping enamels and a good general purpose stripper, use Super Clean, but DO NOT use it on resin. It will destroy it. But I have had plastic parts soak in it for years with no apparent effect on the plastic.

Easy-Lift-Off or Scalecoat (whatever it's called now) is a wipe on product that works well, but do not soak parts.

As always, test any stripper on your material first if you've never used it before.

1 hour ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Fro stripping enamels and a good general purpose stripper, use Super Clean, but DO NOT use it on resin. It will destroy it. But I have had plastic parts soak in it for years with no apparent effect on the plastic.

I just used Super Clean to strip an old resin Modelhaus '56 Cadillac.

No issues with the resin being damaged.

Mind you, it was enamel paint & was only in the pond for a couple of hours.

I can't say what the affects might be if left for a long period, but I have never had any issues with short term use on resin.

Steve

18 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I just used Super Clean to strip an old resin Modelhaus '56 Cadillac.

No issues with the resin being damaged.

Mind you, it was enamel paint & was only in the pond for a couple of hours.

I can't say what the affects might be if left for a long period, but I have never had any issues with short term use on resin.

Steve

If you're able to get the job done in a short amount of time you may be able to get away with it. But trust me, I've learned from experience, on Modelhaus parts even. I wouldn't tempt fate even overnight, as i lost a set of Modelhaus wheelcovers that i tried to remove the chrome from. 

My experiences with brake fluid is mixed. I had a Tamiya Porsche I used it on. After three days, the plastic was deformed.

In the same vein, whats the best thing to strip chrome to the bare plastic removing the chrome and the chrome under layer?

39 minutes ago, iBorg said:

In the same vein, whats the best thing to strip chrome to the bare plastic removing the chrome and the chrome under layer?

Super Clean! :D

I do this the easy way.

Super Clean for everything!

It will strip your chrome parts squeaky clean in most cases in about a half an hour.

I usually drop in the parts & let them soak over night.

I can't think of a single time where it did not strip to clean bare plastic in that period of time.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2018 at 11:12 AM, Mr. Metallic said:

i lost a set of Modelhaus wheelcovers that i tried to remove the chrome from. 

Pour a small amount of bleach into a container and drop the chrome parts in. Use a toothbrush or Q-Tip to speed up the process. The plating will disappear in a few minutes and won't damage even resin. Once it's gone. rinse the parts in water.